+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Deleting Staff in SIMS.net in Technical; I need to delete a member of staff but can't seem to get it to work. The member of staff ...

Thank Post

Question Deleting Staff in SIMS.net

I need to delete a member of staff but can't seem to get it to work. The member of staff has a leaving date but when I go into Routines -> Delete Staff and seach against the member, it says they can't be deleted.

Below in the Data Summary is says: This staff has Database Data (1 record). It cannot be deleted.

Any suggestions on how to remove this member of staff?

Thank Post
    I could be wrong but I dont think you can delete staff Remember reading something about DCSF guidelines and other drivel which means they can't/won't be deleted

Thank Post
    Hmmmm. Why do they have delete staff routine if that might be the case? If I could figure out what "Database Data (1 Record)" is I might be able to delete them. I though this might be connected to a user account, so I remove the staff concerned from the employee group in system manager - made no difference.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    You cannot delete users, but only make them inactive. This is because users contribute centrally to data held within a database and are the authors of the data.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    You cannot delete users, but only make them inactive. This is because users contribute centrally to data held within a database and are the authors of the data.
    Another reason may be for tracking purposes. The data is held at a higher level than just your school, the LEA or indeed National Government departments may wish to track back to obtain a users history - employment for example.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    what if the staff record was created in error and actually duplicates an existing record. e.g. a parent becomes employed, or as happens sometimes, a member of staff leaves and then joins again at a later date.

for data integrity i want to reuse the existing user but a new one was created accidentally by personnel officer number 1. this now causes an error when running the delete user routine.

i get the database data record that says last accessed 01/01/1900 00:00:00 and 2 records under performance data that say 0 assessment results and 0 exam results. they weren't even a teacher!

this is the second such user i have, and i've just preceded the names with the word DELETE and put in a leaving date for employment.

could do with getting rid and cleaning up the database.

found this on support net http://support.capitaes.co.uk/websup...72518.xmlFalse
    Last edited by vikpaw; 26th January 2009 at 11:35 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    what if the staff record was created in error and actually duplicates an existing record. e.g. a parent becomes employed, or as happens sometimes, a member of staff leaves and then joins again at a later date.

for data integrity i want to reuse the existing user but a new one was created accidentally by personnel officer number 1. this now causes an error when running the delete user routine.

i get the database data record that says last accessed 01/01/1900 00:00:00 and 2 records under performance data that say 0 assessment results and 0 exam results. they weren't even a teacher!

this is the second such user i have, and i've just preceded the names with the word DELETE and put in a leaving date for employment.

could do with getting rid and cleaning up the database.

found this on support net http://support.capitaes.co.uk/websup...72518.xmlFalse
    It seems to let you delete some staff but not others.

Where we have had staff entered in error, we just but XXX in front of their surname and forename and tick the box not to included them in Census.

Thank Post
    As it's a redundant record the next time we need to add someone completely new to the system, i might reuse these DELETE / XXX prefixed users and make them active again.

But it would have to be someone completely new, never been an agent, contact, parent, staff etc. etc.

at least that will get rid of them.

Thank Post
    You can delete staff using

Routines ==> Staff ==> Delete staff.
    It checks to see that they are not connected to anything and then deletes them.

Usefull if someone creates the staff with no start date so when I search for them, don't find them in "Current" staff and so create them and end up with dupicates.

Thank Post
    but stuart, that routine doesn't work, as it always finds some hidden records. well that is the case at 2 different schools i've seen it in at least.
    silly records to do with 0 assessment results, or default login date as described in previous post.

these 'connections' are being checked for and found and therefore the user cannot be deleted. i don't know what it is that creates these connections but it prevents the deletion.

Thank Post
    I've used the delete staff routine successfully where records have been accidentally duplicated but it sometimes takes a bit of detective work to track down the linked data and either delete it or add it to the correct record. Once the associated data has been removed the user can be. My biggest headache has been where the NI number has been added to the 'wrong' record. Although you can create a record without an NI number you can't delete it once it's in.

Thank Post
    Seems that if there are records associated with that teacher's code in NovaT prior to the timetable being re-saved then the prospect of avoiding referential integrity problems with a delete in SIMS is nil until next academic year (NovaT6) or never (NovaT4).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread