+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS 64 bit Incompatability in Technical; Originally Posted by matt40k Anyway, I knew it was alot. Ideally, your LEA would have supported Learning Gateway, so you ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Anyway, I knew it was alot. Ideally, your LEA would have supported Learning Gateway, so you can a BIG discount. However I've yet to find any LEA that support it. I know most just direct it to Capita.

I did hear that Capita doesn't have good support as most of there staff have yet to have training.

Personally the TCO isn't as much as going for some other product. You think you've got Exchange\Sharepoint\Active Directory\SIMS all working together. The point of education is to teach people skills they will use in the "real world". Teaching them how to use Sharepoint is quite useful as it's highly possible that where they moved to (small - large businesses) will use Sharepoint (or simpliar) rather then some custom application that is only used in education, such as DigitalBrain etc.
    Our LEA is going to be supporting it shortly I believe (as they are providing it to schools).

But I have to point out that that is not the point of education. ie. we teach skills that are transferrable between products, not particular products. But this has been discussed to death before.

Thank Post
    Supposing we had several virtual 32 bit servers, would we have to assign each user to a specific server or is there some clever dynamic way when they try to connect?

I'm just a SIMS user, I don't understand networks O_o

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Willzzz View Post
    Supposing we had several virtual 32 bit servers, would we have to assign each user to a specific server or is there some clever dynamic way when they try to connect?

I'm just a SIMS user, I don't understand networks O_o
    Depends.

I know you can load balance MSSQL and thus SIMS. What are you thinking? I assume we talking about spreading the load?

Thank Post
    I think he is talking about the TS Server and not the client. You would need a third party load balancer or use Citrix. Not sure about the new 2008 offerings.

Thank Post
    Terminal server has built in support for load balancing I though?

Thank Post
    For primary school use, we want to use 2008 Standard 64 bit to keep the OS licence cost down with 16GB, accessed via RDP. Most of the x64 printing failures don't bother us with primaries, ie no need for exams or nova. Everything printed out of SIMS via Office or IE works. Some of the routines have been changed recently to output via a browser, and these print. But the little print button on various browse screens in SIMS doesn't display the printer dialogue box, and then doesn't print. Is this an indication of a 16 bit routine behind the button, or something else?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12