+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS - and the start of Academic Year 2008/09 in Technical; Well our sims was broken. None of the new tutor groups appeared and it needed them to be reordered and ...
    Thank Post
    Well our sims was broken.

None of the new tutor groups appeared and it needed them to be reordered and put back in pastoral structure for them to appear.

Also still have a missing class in T4, another one this year, had one missing for a WHOLE YEAR and I'm awaiting a patch still for that bug

Add the crashing when you edit lots of students in a row (it "just does that" seems to be the core issue here!).

Oh, plus taking 30 MINUTES to delete one student every time, and 3 HOURS to update a list of 100 leavers.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kiran View Post
    As I have said before, we know that Sims.net is not perfect - it will never be perfect - a piece of software can never be - however it is far better and than it was years ago and evolving into a usable solution. I truly believe it does ease staff [even though at times it may create more work in the short term] . My goal is that we now put everything on Sims.net to ensure that our MIS is our one stop solution to supporting students, administration and teaching and learning.
    A year ago I would have fully agreed with you as we were pushing quite successfully down that route. However, over the past year since we have gone completely full scale I can honestly say we are regretting the decision.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    A year ago I would have fully agreed with you as we were pushing quite successfully down that route. However, over the past year since we have gone completely full scale I can honestly say we are regretting the decision.
    I have to disagree - for us it has been really good - yes we have had hiccups and problems do occur - but we feel that it is proving to be the right decision - before we had 4 separate systems - 1 being Bromcom and another reporting solution, and Sleuth - we dumped all 3 and integrated them all into SIMS.net - we use Lesson Monitor for lesson by lesson reg, Assessment Manager; Profiles 7; Performance Analysis; Nova T6; & Behavior & Achievement and whole host of other things. We now moving towards the Webparts.

What are your problems ... could it be the setup/server/etc?

Thank Post
    Kiran, we'll agree to disagree!
    90% of our problems are either bugs in SIMS or things being done on SIMS which don't work well, 10% are because we are a very big, very busy school where a lot of the roles in SIMS are undertaken by different people and SIMS assumes that everyone using it has an intimate knowledge of the workings of all modules. For instance if you move a pupil to another form/class when a profiles cycle is open it then has two teachers listed for each subject. Makes sense in a way, but profiles and moving pupils is done by two different people in other ends of the school, just a nice little warning box when you move a pupil within a profiles cycle would be helpful. We are aware of this problem now, but it took 5 different support requests to Capita and hours upon hours of time to figure and sort out all the different side effects of this happening.

Other problems are things like the really poor reporting facilities, their continual insistence on releasing new versions of modules which are unusable for several months (Cover 7, Attendance 7) due to critical features in the old version not being implemented in the new and then not supporting the old version properly as they say it is near the end of life (Attendance 6 has a known bug since the August release where for a lot of schools you can no longer print absence reports and they are refusing to fix it).
    The exams results was another fiasco this year. After coming in to do the update, then applying four patches in the afternoon when the results were still wrong, finding the results were still wrong after these patches and having to calculate manually does tend to pee people off a bit ;-)

I know all systems have their problems and yes SIMS worked very nicely for us until we scaled up, but now it is taking an awful lot of time to support and we are not getting the information out that would make it worthwhile due to the poor reporting and continual bugs.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12