+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Producing Classlists from Sims.net NOT Nova in Technical; OK Folks, it's that time of year again when staff like to have all their classlists setup in excel so ...

Thank Post

Producing Classlists from Sims.net NOT Nova

OK Folks, it's that time of year again when staff like to have all their classlists setup in excel so they can make use of the names for all kinds of weird and wonderfull things they like to do with them...

When will Teaching Staff have the ability to produce their own classlists from sims and export it to Excel files?

Our (teaching) staff don't have access to Nova T4 (And not really an option to set them all up to use it) I have played about with creating a custom report, but was quite messy and not as easy/good as what is in Nova.

I have been asking for Years for maybe some kind of "Export" button on Lesson Monitor , like you have when using Assesment Manager Marksheets, to allow the staff to export the list of names > forms > etc into such files.

I'm aware that selecting print in Lesson Monitor alows you to save as an XML file, but that saves the whole register and opens up rather messy in Excel

This is one thing that staff always seem to want and seems mad that it's not available already?

Maybe Phil you could shed some light on this?

Cheers

Matt

Thank Post
    I agree that SIMS needs to have that quick reporting functionality that Nova T4 has however as it doesn't exist we gave all staff access to Nova - not individually but just by getting them to use the default user button.This give them minimal access with no work on your part.

Far from ideal but it gets you by.

Thank Post
    Our staff all use Default User on Nova-T.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattpant View Post
    staff like to have all their classlists setup in excel so they can make use of the names for all kinds of weird and wonderfull things
    I have a Perl wrapper around the SIMS CommandReporter tool that extracts data from SIMS by running reports, parses the produced XML and does stuff with it - you could write class data out to individual CSV files. I have this system transferring data from SIMS to our Active Directory / LDAP server. It isn't packaged up into any kind of releasable system at the moment, and won't be for a little while as I'm rather behind on my planned work for the summer...

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mattpant View Post
    OK Folks, it's that time of year again when staff like to have all their classlists setup in excel so they can make use of the names for all kinds of weird and wonderfull things they like to do with them...

When will Teaching Staff have the ability to produce their own classlists from sims and export it to Excel files?

Our (teaching) staff don't have access to Nova T4 (And not really an option to set them all up to use it) I have played about with creating a custom report, but was quite messy and not as easy/good as what is in Nova.

I have been asking for Years for maybe some kind of "Export" button on Lesson Monitor , like you have when using Assesment Manager Marksheets, to allow the staff to export the list of names > forms > etc into such files.

I'm aware that selecting print in Lesson Monitor alows you to save as an XML file, but that saves the whole register and opens up rather messy in Excel

This is one thing that staff always seem to want and seems mad that it's not available already?

Maybe Phil you could shed some light on this?

Cheers

Matt
    Our LEA pointed us in the direction of a sims report to display teacher class lists with a given class code. I added the option to print per subject.

If you look on capita support
    User Posts -> File Sharing -> Download
    Item 529 is the report.
    Last edited by penfold_99; 4th September 2008 at 12:23 PM.

Thank Post
    There is a custom report which you make that is very easy which you get is to do a class list or register in excel or word. Alternatively you can if you just want it for printing is to double click on a student's timetabled class and click print.

Thank Post

Use Assessment Manager

If you use Assessment Manager then this is the easiest way by miles for staff to produce their own classlists. They can either print the marksheet for their group (blank or with optional data added) or they can export to an excel spreadsheet. These can include if required their SEN stauts, Free school meal status G&T and many other bits of info besides.

Thank Post
    Agreed, but the marksheet entrys have not been setup yet for the new Academic Year! What I cna't understand is why this functionality of eexport to Excel already appears in A/M, and not in classlist or lesson monitor, shorly the coding is already in place??

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    We have moodle automatically pull information such as classlists out of sims. This allows teachers to do useful stuff like upload work to individual teaching groups or email entire classes. We then organise teaching groups into metacourses for subjects eg - KS3 science. so entire courses can be populated when the students login. Another advantage is that Moodle has quite a good marking system (moodle quiz). As yet we cannot write the results of the info back to sims but it does export as an xls or csv file so its quite easy to import manually into sims.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread