+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Mobile in Technical; Just wondering if anybody has this working? We are trying V3 and still having problems. Vresion 1.2 wouldn't work offline ...
    Thank Post

SIMS Mobile

Just wondering if anybody has this working?

We are trying V3 and still having problems. Vresion 1.2 wouldn't work offline so a bit pointless really.

V3 will only sync once then throws up errors. Being looked at by Capita at the moment.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've got it working, but the real test will be on Thursday.

What has ruined it for us is the licensing. Essentially, £400 per device per year. We now only have one device and setup a PE Cover Supervisor user and download each of the PE Teachers timetables to it in the morning. Makes it a really clunky solution.

I setup a separate server and used SQL Express, even though 1.3 does recommend installing on the SIMS server itself. However, I had seen the odd report on the Capita site of it slowing up SIMS quite considerably.

It's an odd setup, it essentially has what looks like a third party component attached to it for dealing with PDA connections over http, and seems to sync a local copy of certain SIMS tables with the main SIMS Server every 2 hours.

I know Bromcom have a mobile phone solution and it looks appealing. I really think someone could make a shed load of cash by putting together a decent off-line registration system. The Capita solution in my book just seems a bit... clunky and unfinished.

Pete

Thank Post
    Its the offline bit that seems to be the problem.

Once the sync happens its not then possible to take register, even online and a second sync throws up an error.

After logging of its then not possible to log back on.

Will be sending several files tomorrow to Capita so they can take a look at the problem.

Thank Post
    Hi FragglePete,
    Hopefully I can help you with the costing for SIMS mobile. The SIMS Mobile software is only charged per device as a one-off initial cost. The maintenance fee is annual and is not per device. Therefore, from the information you've posted, once you have paid the one off cost for the software for each device, your annual charge should only be a standard flat rate (for example £400), not per device.

Hi Antoekee,
    If you are still having issues with the offline functionality then let me know the case number and I'll make sure it gets looked at asap.

Regards,
    Jonathan Wood
    SIMS Product Manager - Technical and Releases

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread