+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Sims Mobile and Terminal Server in Technical; We have Sims remotely hosted by our LA and connect using a Terminal Server shorcut. We have hit a brick ...

Thank Post

Sims Mobile and Terminal Server

We have Sims remotely hosted by our LA and connect using a Terminal Server shorcut. We have hit a brick wall right at the beginning of installing the new version of Sims Mobile as it needs to be installed locally yet talk to the remote sims database. Has anyone managed to install sims mobile to work over a remote connection or know of another solution.

I did log a call but 1st line support could not offer any helpful advice other than to email the 2004 Capita Remote Working Guidelines pdf.

Thank Post
    Hi there.. I understand your frustration with mobile registration, as it is a serious issue faced by many schools.

A school that I have been working with in East London reported similar problems as to those you described and we resolved it very neatly. The solution is to have a solution that can work 'off-line working' with wireless (either GPRS, Wi-Fi or both) It needs to be a seamless operation from a P.E Teachers point of view.

The solution that I am referring to enables attendance to be taken remotely using Smart Phones. This is ideal for P.E staff to use on the sports grounds and also for use during school field trips.

Making use of GPRS technology means that registration can be taken anywhere there is mobile phone network - so even abroad. Some schools started using it to take attendance in assembly halls rather using paper! Schools can be sure that they have the latest pupil attendance in realtime at all times.

I'll drop you a PM with more details - otherwise I will be accused of unauthorised promotion!

If there is anyone else with the same problem or if anyone wishes to have further details, please just contact me - I am happy to help.

NB: In case you're wondering - yes, the solution I have works directly with SIMS Attendance and Lesson Monitor software.
    [/I]

Thank Post
    This is interesting we are trying out Sims Mobile with 5 PDAs at the moment and the LEA are just testing this out so any more information please post and your findings

Thank Post
    We've never had Sims Mobile work in the year we've had it. - The newest version arrived the other day and I'm reluctant to even try it!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I got SIMS mobile working the other week; this was the latest release (version 1.30 I believe).

Seems to work ok, bit clunky as you need to log in, go-offline, log in again, sync the database and then your ready to take registers. When you Sync it again all the marks get uploaded to SIMS. Only works really for one teacher at a time, but you can set it up to download multiple teacher timetables but this you have to do each time you Sync it (pain the arse).

I installed it on a seperate Server running SQL Express 2005 quite happily. You have to install IIS6 as well. Latest release does recommend installing on your SIMS servers whereas the previous versions didn't.

We'll see how it goes in September. The Bromcom solution looks interesting and I got the prices the other week. We'll see how it goes for now.

Pete

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FragglePete View Post

I installed it on a seperate Server running SQL Express 2005 quite happily. You have to install IIS6 as well. Latest release does recommend installing on your SIMS servers whereas the previous versions didn't.

Pete
    We are looking into SIMS Mobile also. Will it quite happily run on the same server as SIMS and SQL 2005?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread