View Poll Results: Should SIMS.net support OpenOffice to the same level as Microsoft Office

Voters
53. This poll is closed
  • YES - We currently use OpenOffice

    5 9.43%
  • YES - We want to move to using OpenOffice

    16 30.19%
  • YES - We currently use Microsoft Office

    22 41.51%
  • NO - We currently use OpenOffice

    0 0%
  • NO - We want to move to using OpenOffice

    1 1.89%
  • NO - We currently use Microsoft Office

    9 16.98%
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS.net Support For OpenOffice in Technical; The poll is in response to Phil Neal's, quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal What is true is that as a ...
  1. #1
    penfold_99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    1,003
    Thank Post
    60
    Thanked 167 Times in 119 Posts
    Rep Power
    69

    SIMS.net Support For OpenOffice

    The poll is in response to Phil Neal's, quote

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    What is true is that as a company we aren't set up for handling OpenOffice as at the moment the demand is low.
    I am asking for your view on should SIMS.net support OpenOffice to the same level as Microsoft Office?
    Last edited by penfold_99; 16th July 2008 at 02:44 PM.

  2. #2

    powdarrmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Alcester, Warwickshire
    Posts
    4,867
    Thank Post
    412
    Thanked 778 Times in 651 Posts
    Rep Power
    182
    If anything, now that the open format is usable in Office, Capita should be neutralising their documents so that they can be used in anything, not just MSO/OOO.

  3. #3
    penfold_99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    1,003
    Thank Post
    60
    Thanked 167 Times in 119 Posts
    Rep Power
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by powdarrmonkey View Post
    If anything, now that the open format is usable in Office, Capita should be neutralising their documents so that they can be used in anything, not just MSO/OOO.
    Capita would go with the easy option and use Microsoft Office to generate Office Open XML which doesn't even adhere to the ISO standard, so OpenOffice or any other OSS wont be able to read it.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Kendal
    Posts
    1,556
    Thank Post
    112
    Thanked 178 Times in 145 Posts
    Rep Power
    72
    Oh heck - clicked the wrong vote. I meant to say Yes OO should work with SIMS, and we'd like to move to it.

  5. #5
    penfold_99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    1,003
    Thank Post
    60
    Thanked 167 Times in 119 Posts
    Rep Power
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by jcollings View Post
    Oh heck - clicked the wrong vote. I meant to say Yes OO should work with SIMS, and we'd like to move to it.
    We're add it in once the count poll has finished

  6. #6

    powdarrmonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Alcester, Warwickshire
    Posts
    4,867
    Thank Post
    412
    Thanked 778 Times in 651 Posts
    Rep Power
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold_99 View Post
    Capita would go with the easy option and use Microsoft Office to generate Office Open XML which doesn't even adhere to the ISO standard, so OpenOffice or any other OSS wont be able to read it.
    Um...that's my point.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    65
    Thank Post
    9
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    so just how many votes are you hoping to register in this poll that will make Phil Neal think that demand is not low ?

  8. #8

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,523
    Thank Post
    527
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    924
    I think this would be better suited on the Capita Support site wouldn't it? That's where they look for demand of things...

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    25
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Considering the price of the product, and it's stability or lack there of, yes they should. Somehow i can't see it happening though, they'd need a lot more poeple with much more talent.

  10. #10
    penfold_99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    1,003
    Thank Post
    60
    Thanked 167 Times in 119 Posts
    Rep Power
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonyoung View Post
    so just how many votes are you hoping to register in this poll that will make Phil Neal think that demand is not low ?
    I have asked Phil Neal to quantify this on another post.

  11. #11
    penfold_99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    East Sussex
    Posts
    1,003
    Thank Post
    60
    Thanked 167 Times in 119 Posts
    Rep Power
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I think this would be better suited on the Capita Support site wouldn't it? That's where they look for demand of things...
    Can a poll be created on Capita Support, as i haven't been able to create one.

  12. #12

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,523
    Thank Post
    527
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    924
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold_99 View Post
    Can a poll be created on Capita Support, as i haven't been able to create one.
    You have to either create or vote on a change request.

    But the change request section of their site is incredibly difficult to navigate, as you can't actually search using keywords, but have to search by a product and a date range, then trawl through tonnes of requests to see if someone has already requested it. Or you can go directly to the change request.

    Edit: I've created a change request, number 0807-371441. Logon at Support.capitaes.co.uk, go to the support menu and choose change requests.
    Last edited by localzuk; 17th July 2008 at 10:39 AM.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    65
    Thank Post
    9
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold_99 View Post
    I have asked Phil Neal to quantify this on another post.
    Penfold it would be helpful to hear your views on the number before you hear from Phil. As it stands 267 people have viewed the poll but only 37 have voted. Is this significant ?

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    126
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 17 Times in 9 Posts
    Rep Power
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonyoung View Post
    Penfold it would be helpful to hear your views on the number before you hear from Phil. As it stands 267 people have viewed the poll but only 37 have voted. Is this significant ?
    Is that 267 individual people or maybe the same person from different machines on different networks gets counted multiple time?

  15. #15


    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    8,202
    Thank Post
    442
    Thanked 1,033 Times in 813 Posts
    Rep Power
    341
    Quote Originally Posted by glensc View Post
    Is that 267 individual people or maybe the same person from different machines on different networks gets counted multiple time?
    It's difficult to quantify - the same issues are presented with how many people use OpenOffice. If I download it once and install it on 600 computers, I only get counted once. If I buy 600 MS licenses I get counted 600 times. If I vote yes(or no) on this poll - does it count that I've got several schools to look after?



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 3rd October 2009, 06:44 PM
  2. Net Support School Logs
    By cookie_monster in forum Network and Classroom Management
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28th June 2008, 04:58 PM
  3. Net Support manager
    By phil_thebeans in forum Network and Classroom Management
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 9th April 2008, 03:42 PM
  4. SIMS .net does not fully support Open Office
    By mark in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 28th March 2008, 10:57 AM
  5. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2nd May 2007, 08:55 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •