+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Migrating SIMS .net to new hardware in Technical; Before I ring our support people, I was wondering if anyone knew where there might be a guide to moving ...

Thank Post

Migrating SIMS .net to new hardware

Before I ring our support people, I was wondering if anyone knew where there might be a guide to moving SISM .net onto new hardware... SupportNet is not proving very useful

I'm sure it's a case of just moving all the files across, moving the database across and then running DBAttach (or something).

Thank Post
    You're about right, our LEA did it in a couple of hours. - I don't think they did anything else apart from the usual service packs, sharing out the directories etc.

Thank Post

4. Thanks to steve from:

Ric_ (16th July 2008)

Thank Post
    I'm doing this next week, instructions that I have (what has been posted) looks relatively straight forward if I come across any problems / issues when I am in the process of moving across I'll post here incase you haven't already started.

It would be interesting to hear how many others have happily moved SIMS from one server to another server either following CAPITA's instructions or via another method.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Here are a couple of other guides i've got (possibly from here) and added to my ICT Support WIKI for reference. Thanks if these did come from here.

how_to_transfer_sims_to_a_new_server_after_august_ upgrade_and_sql_2005_migration

Old Server

1. Run DbAttach.exe to detach the existing SIMS SQL database.

2. Make a copy the SIMS SQL database files eg SIMS.MDF and SIMS.LDF.

3. Make a copy of the DOCSTORAGE folder

New Server

1. Run CCSSQLExpressInst.exe to install SQL 2005 Express (or use your Microsoft SQL Sever 2005 installation cd)

2. Run S:\SIMS\SETUPS\SIMSINST.EXE

3. Tick the boxes for

'This computer will be used as a SIMS Workstation' 'This computer will be used as a SIMS Document Server'

This will automatically install the Document Server and a blank DOCSTORAGE folder.

3. Use DbAttach.exe to attach the copy of the SQL database taken from the Old Server. DbAttach.exe is located in e.g. C:\Program files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\BINN

4. Edit the S:\SIMS\CONNECT.INI to reflect the New Server name

5. Copy the DOCSTORAGE folder to the new location on the New Server.

6. Change the directory structure of the DOCSTORAGE folder to match the settings on the new server - you would normally only need to change the SERVERNAME part of the path e.g.

C:\DOCSTORAGE\SERVERNAME\INSTANCENAME\DATABASENAME \REPORTFOLDERS

Where SERVERNAME is the name of your new server Where INSTANCENAME is the name of the instance chosen when installing SQL. Where DATABASENAME is the name of the SQL database. Where REPORTFOLDERS are the folders named 2a, 3b etc and contain the physical report files.

how_to_transfer_sims_fms_from_one_server_to_anothe r

FMS

ON THE CURRENT SERVER

1. Run FMS to confirm that you are connecting to the correct database and then exit FMS on all machines. 2. Copy the sims.db and sims.log to an external resource. To find the location of the database, go to Start | run and type odbcad32. Select System DSN tab, select SIMS32 and click configure. The database location is in the Database File path.

ON THE NEW SERVER

1. Create new folders through My Computer, and copy the sims.db and sims.log to this location on the New Server e.g C:\SIMS\FMS\SQL 2. Install FMS as a Server and Workstation on the New Server. Full details of this are covered in KB35095

If the Current server will continue to be part of the network, a unique service name is needed, or this will conflict with the New server.

E.g if the service name is SIMS_Server on the Current Server, this should be SIMSNEW_Server on the new server.

3. Go back into ODBCAD32, and change the Server Name on the configuration screen to SIMSNEW_Server

4. Go to Start | Run and type dbsvmn50 and select 'edit'. Edit the Parameters line to read SIMSNEW_Server. Note that the Server name must match exactly in the Service and ODBC

5. Start the FMS service to complete the set up. 6. Run FMS on the New Server machine to test and confirm the connection to the database 7. NOTE: If the service name has been altered to SIMSNEW_Server in the odbcad32 settings on the new server, this will also need to be altered on each workstation.

7. Thanks to Sylv3r from:

Ric_ (16th July 2008)

Thank Post
    I've done the new setup a few times and its pretty straight forward.

Give it a try on a virtual server, they are always handy to test the updates on.

The only difference to the instructions above is that FMS could now be running on MS SQL, not MYSQL

Thank Post
    Its pretty straightforward and if you're running FMS6.91+ it's a breeze.

Thank Post
    We moved/upgraded our SIMS install this time last year - SIMS server is now on its own dedicated server. I'm planning to make this physical server into a virtual one, then I can back up the whole server in one go and move it between bits of hardware if needed. Anyone done Windows-physical-to-virtual hosted on CentOS/Xen before? First question I have: do I need a GUI installed on my Xen server, or can I just log in to the virtual Windows server with remote desktop?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    I have succesfully moved my SIMS database to a new server and can log on succesfully by I am having issues with moving the FMS database. When I try to attach it on the new server I get the following error message (error.bmp).

When trying to logon to FMS I then receive the next error message (error2.bmp). Does anybody have any idea what the issue maybe?

The database reattaches fine on the old server with no error messages and I can log on fine.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    I have succesfully moved my SIMS database to a new server and can log on succesfully by I am having issues with moving the FMS database. When I try to attach it on the new server I get the following error message (error.bmp).

When trying to logon to FMS I then receive the next error message (error2.bmp). Does anybody have any idea what the issue maybe?

The database reattaches fine on the old server with no error messages and I can log on fine.

Thanks
    Are you using SQL express? I always got the first error message when attaching the SIMS database to an instance I setup using the MS install of SQL Express. As soon as I setup a blank sims database with the CCS release of SQLE and attached the SIMS databse it worked fine.

Thank Post
    For anybody else wanting to move SIMS / FMS I have found the following document quite useful also.

Thanks

http://www.six.somerset.gov.uk/sixv3...odid=&orderby=

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops_my_bad View Post
    Are you using SQL express? I always got the first error message when attaching the SIMS database to an instance I setup using the MS install of SQL Express. As soon as I setup a blank sims database with the CCS release of SQLE and attached the SIMS databse it worked fine.
    Nope using Microsoft SQL Server 2005.

Thank Post
    just what i was looking for thanks

Thank Post
    If the FMS database doesnt attach and produces that error, close dbattach on the new server and open it again. Detach the FMS database (probably ccsfms) and re-attach it. Should work fine the second time (same thing sometimes happens with the SIMS database too)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Anyone done Windows-physical-to-virtual hosted on CentOS/Xen before?
    Yes - boot off the CD and it will prompt you to convert an existing installation into a virtual machine. Of course you'll have taken a full backup first

First question I have: do I need a GUI installed on my Xen server, or can I just log in to the virtual Windows server with remote desktop?
    No, you don't. The Xen server will be consoled and you'll do all the administration through the java management tool thing on another machine. From in that you can see what would be the console of the guest machine, and for most day-to-day stuff you'll use remote desktop anyway.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast