+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Biometrics and the like in Technical; My school is looking at a SIMS add on to operate on laptops, but that would mean modifying the curriculum ...

Thank Post

Re: Anyone use the Bromcom system?

My school is looking at a SIMS add on to operate on laptops, but that would mean modifying the curriculum wireless network to include the admin network. of course guess who has to configure it all...
    Also the system would have SIMS on all the laptops which is a bad idea as most staff don't care for passwords and let kids use them.

I myself would prefer something with fingerprint recognition, or at least some form of a biometric data, so that the teachers don't need to bother with doing a registration and therefore need me to hold their hands.

Anyone know of a system that has biometric data readers for attendance and catering ?

Thank Post

Re: Biometrics and the like

Biometric sucks for trying to do things quick - any catering company will tell you this. Your best bet is swipe cards or proximity cards.

You need to firstly share your concerns with SMT about staff sharing the logins with students.

As for systems, there are several about and most offer a variety of features which tend to be modular (at least in any half decent system).

We use Nedap PreAbXS as our registration system ( http://www.nedap-education.co.uk/ ) - this also has modules for catering, access control (door locks to the layman), locker management and much more. It also syncs with SIMS which is another thing to check for.

Another option is EasyTrace ( http://www.easytrace.co.uk/ ) - I know the school I used to work at installed this catering system although I'm unsure whether they were willing to look far enough into the future to see the potential so I cannot comment it fully.

A couple of other offerings are available at http://home.capitaes.co.uk/sims/partners/index.asp

Thank Post

I've consulted members of staff over the above proposed e-registration and they are unhappy as they have to do registration on a computer rather than paper ! So they are fully behind any other idea which means less work for them.

I have shared my concerns to certain members of staff about the kids on laptops and they agree. They said they would have to change school policy and make it that teachers laptops are a sacred thing. Thankfully the head isn't rushing into buying any system like some other members of staff, who were wanting to buy it within two weeks to save a bit of money despite not having seen a live trial.

Although biometrics may be slow, I find many flaws in a card based system. The most obvious 2 are that if the card is lost it needs replacing, its very unlikely someone will lose their finger. Secondly the card could quite easily fall into the wrong hands and have a big bill run up at lunchtime, putting a pin number on it would make it even harder to use cos we all know kids don't remember passwords. So then you need a member of staff to authenticate the card but obviously they will be against having to do that every couple of lunchtimes.

A proximity system may work better but its finding something to stick an rfid to that the kids keep with them at all times.

Thank Post

The biometric systems tend to be very innacurate and are not as secure as those found in many industrial apps - for example they will only compare 4 regions of the fingerprint rather than 8.

The issues with card-based systems have been thought through - with catering a pic of the pupil is displayed on the checkout and if that doesn't match the face you confiscate the card and they cannot buy the food; with registration, the teacher does a head count that must match the number on the registration box so if they sign their mate in and the number is correct somebody gets marked absent. The cards can also be printed with a photograph.

The cards we use are proximity cards and the system seems to work OK. Obviously kids (and staff!) forget their cards sometimes so we have a number of temporary cards that can be dished out for a day.

You MUST see the alternatives in action. We are a demo site for Nedap but I would not try to sell something if I thought it was cr*p. Check out the Nedap and PM me if you want the details of the Nedap rep.

Thank Post

from today's Guardian

Thank Post

I teach at a large secondary school and we have always thought about using Biometrics for registration but couldn't find a company that we trusted or had been around in the education market long enough for us to be sure they knew what they were doing. We use SIMS and wanted a system that put the attendance data straight into it without having to re-enter the data. To my surprise I recently spoke to the company that supplied our OMR reader and they recently launched a biometric registration system that populates SIMS automatically. We have recently spoken to them and they really do know their stuff. I'm sure many of you deal with them as they have supplied around 12000 OMR readers to schools. They are DRS and you can find out more about them at -

http://www.drs.co.uk/products/intellireg.asp

Hope this helps.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread