+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Serco Withdraw Support for SQL 2000 in Technical; With the recent announcement from serco that they are withdrawing support for sql 2000 on Facility CMIS in september i'm ...

Thank Post

Serco Withdraw Support for SQL 2000

With the recent announcement from serco that they are withdrawing support for sql 2000 on Facility CMIS in september i'm wondering what other sites are doing with regards to the upgrade? SQL 2008 is just around the corner and i've been told by PUGH they will be able to offer licences in a couple of weeks, serco has not yet fully validated CMIS for sql2008 on its current release but it should be fully supported by the november release.
    So heres the question should i jump straight to sql2008 over the summer or just stick to sql2005?
    For those of you who have done it is the upgrade from sql 2000 to 2005 straightforward?

Thank Post
    We're on SQL 2005 but will have to apply SP2 apparently.

Anyone done this and have any comments/tips? Serco claim it will solve our ePortal performance problems.

Thank Post
    Have you experienced these performance issue from the outset or just with a recent release? Do you simply install the eportal updates over the top of the existing or do a fresh install?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallwood_6 View Post
    So heres the question should i jump straight to sql2008 over the summer or just stick to sql2005?
    I would get 2008 anyway, it doen't matter if it is unsupported at the moment as you should have downgrade rights with it that will allow you to use 2k5 until it can run on 2k8 (http://www.microsoft.com/sql/howtobuy/faq.mspx#EZB). Just double check with your supplier to make sure that this is still offered with 2k8 - I'm sure that it will be but it is always safest to double check

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallwood_6 View Post
    With the recent announcement from serco that they are withdrawing support for sql 2000 on Facility CMIS in september i'm wondering what other sites are doing with regards to the upgrade? SQL 2008 is just around the corner and i've been told by PUGH they will be able to offer licences in a couple of weeks, serco has not yet fully validated CMIS for sql2008 on its current release but it should be fully supported by the november release.
    Where in the communication did it say they were withdrawing support in September? Probably missing it! All I've read is that they're not supporting it as of the next release. Problem with that is the email that came in yesterday about exam results.

For schools with A level exams there will be a release of Facility available on the support download
    website that will also be available on Monday 14th July. This release MUST be installed before A
    level results day in order to convert your results.
    ...implies we're going to have to do the upgrade PDQ.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Diello View Post
    Where in the communication did it say they were withdrawing support in September? Probably missing it! All I've read is that they're not supporting it as of the next release. Problem with that is the email that came in yesterday about exam results.

Dear Facility User
    Therefore from September 2008 we will be no longer support Microsoft 2000 Windows and SQL
    platform for Facility CMIS. Development and testing for Facility and ePortal will be carried out on
    Windows 2003 or later versions.

Thats from one of the mailings, they seem to have upped the recommended hardware requirements now as well.

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post

Exclamation July Patch Release

Quote Originally Posted by Diello View Post

The patch release in July will still be tested against SQL Server 2000. It is the November release onwards that will not be tested against this.

Apologies for any confusion that this may have caused.

Paul Harrington
    Product Manager
    Serco Learning Solutions

8. Thanks to PaulHarrington from:

Diello (7th July 2008)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread