+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, How much disk space do you have for SIMS.net? in Technical; Originally Posted by wesleyw Judging from this you do understand that the backup that it makes during upgrades isn't a ...

Thank Post

Re: How much disk space do you have for SIMS.net?

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyw
    Judging from this you do understand that the backup that it makes during upgrades isn't a complete copy? And if you don't have a decent copy of the database its completely useless?
    Wha...?! I do understand that the backup is a live backup of the SIMS DB and not the whole SQL Server RDBMS (there's tape backup for that).

If you're saying that the backup of the DB itself is only partial then that would be useless for disaster recovery. How would you then be able to regenerate all the data?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

From what I gather you would need to reinstall the SIMS system (About 30 minutes if your good ) then you would need to recover the database from the tape backup then you would run the quick backup (System->Tools-> etc..) to recover the most up to date version this is not a simple thing only a full backup of the DB files is required the quick SQL system backup would not be enough. At least I don't think so!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

From what I gather you would need to reinstall the SIMS system (About 30 minutes if your good ) then you would need to recover the database from the tape backup then you would run the quick backup (System->Tools-> etc..) to recover the most up to date version this is not a simple thing only a full backup of the DB files is required the quick SQL system backup would not be enough. At least I don't think so!

Oh and the FMS database probably hasn't been backup up at all!

Wes

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quick update to my original impression the DB backup is only about 98mb for me presently and the full SIMS.MBF is 503mb now please forgive me but this seems like an incremental backup to me? Sorry for being an idiot but I think it backs up the most up-to-date data?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll retract that now, sorry, yes the System backup is a very well compressed copy of the main SIMS.MDF file not sure about the several other files don't think they are needed to return to a decent state of operation (I think they get created when the SQL server service runs?)

Wes

Thank Post

Don't even mention FMS! I'm more and more worried as this thread goes on!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by indiegirl
    Don't even mention FMS! I'm more and more worried as this thread goes on!
    You've done all you can do. Just note it all down an email the Head (acting Head )

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by NetworkGeezer
    You've done all you can do. Just note it all down an email the Head (acting Head )
    Noooo, that's my old school where I'm hoping to return. But the head here will certainly be informed.

I've come up with a problem. You can't change the backup path... and I only have 1.2gb spare.... I'm going to try it with the 1.2gb...

It fails...telling me that I don't have enough space to backup (I have 1258mb, need 134541mb!)

Jeeps! What now? Can I move that ldf file?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Don't worry about it!

Right here's what to do.

Go to the setups directory and move all of the files to another location on a different server (This is temporary of course!) Then locate the backup directory and move all of the backup files to another server also! (Again temporary) You should have quite a bit more space! The SIMS files backup: you can stop the service for about 5 minutes and copy all of the sql files to another location (You have now got your backup!!!!!) Start up the service again and run the backup that has been suggested earlier. Stop the FMS sqlanywhere service and copy the files from your "YOURSIMSServer\sims\SQL\" this is where the Finance module holds its data!.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You now have a couple of backup copies of the servers main data the rest can be setup from scratch if needed! Copy the setups files back!

Start up the SQLAnywhere finance service.

Click on solus! this will take you to the main capita site download the newest solussetup program from there!

You then want to phone capita or your SIMS support team and ask for the newest url to use within the solus setup.

Put this in and follow the surprisingly simple instructions this will hopefully upgrade your system to the newest version! If you want to that is please do all of this from the SIMS Server itself though lol!

March upgrade has issues with Assesssment Manager and there is now a fix for that too so hopefully it'll all work out fine!

Wes

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by indiegirl
    I've come up with a problem. You can't change the backup path... and I only have 1.2gb spare.... I'm going to try it with the 1.2gb...

It fails...telling me that I don't have enough space to backup (I have 1258mb, need 134541mb!)

Jeeps! What now? Can I move that ldf file?
    You probably need to try the shrink db log batch file. Call Capita first and see that they say.

Thank Post

Aye, Capita were my first port of call. As a non-trained SIMS bod, I'm not going anywhere near stopping and starting services. I could, but at the very least, this is well out of the remit of my 'IT Technician' role, and I will not be held responsible for any problems as a result.

Interestingly, Capita told me that they're not supporting 7.62 any more - they asked if I was doing an upgrade (foolishly I said no, and confirmed the lowly version), then argued that I would do an upgrade, but I'd still have the same disk space issue and backup problems! I think that my rather fraught tone made them try and get to the supportdesk....
    ... who were all busy. So, I'm waiting on a call back.

I am going to go through the roof to my line manager about this one....

Thank Post

The backup produced with system manager, or with the dbattach command can be used to restore a sims database, I have done it with no issues previously. The one done with dbattach does however need a batch file to restore it, as it adds the sims user back to the permisions of the sql server as this is not backed up, although it is simply one user afaik (the others are part of the sims database itself).

FMS is also a seperate database (some ancient old db server) and can be backed up with a normal file backup if it is not in use, either that or you must schedule it to stop its services and make a copy, mine is held in a d:\sims\sims\sql folder. I keep an eye on the state of the backups as I don't stop the service currently.

I use dbattach to schedule an online dump of the sims.net database each day, this is put in the backups directory and gets included in the normal file backups, I trim the directory every week or two, keping various different ages of backup.

If it is backed up properly, then the ldf file is truncated and will not grow large.

when a ldf file is truncated it produces an unsightly red error in the event log like this 18278 : Database log truncated: Database: sims. This appears to be done by the backup, but it means you cannot restore to a specific point, and require the full backup you just made, although this method seems to be used by bromcom too. Probably more an issue if its going to cost you millions to fix your databases

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

In most cases its best to let the SIMS support team break it then its their fault

@DMcCoy: Its the old sql system that capita where going to use for the full SIMS .Net package until they found it couldn't do enough of the things needed and so they ported the SIMS to MS SQL Finance is still on the old system because of the full re-write it needs to be moved to MS SQL.

Foresight what a wonderful trait!

As for the backups I'd run the NM over lol!

Wes

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

DMcCoy and Networkgeezer are correct though I think my wires have got crossed sorry about that please ignore the messages about the DB incremental backups! The last couple of messages though will sort out your problem and starting and stopping the services isn't going to cause you any problems (If it doesn't restart just reboot lol)

Wes

Thank Post

Man, I love Capita:

"Dear Zoe,

this is the solution for your problem:

Windows Scripting Host (WSH) is not running. Enable this and re-run the backup"

Don't make me laugh Capita....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast