+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, How much disk space do you have for SIMS.net? in Technical; Obviously your LM doesn't understand quite whats happened. You should just boycote them and go to the head and explain ...
    Thank Post

Re: How much disk space do you have for SIMS.net?

Obviously your LM doesn't understand quite whats happened. You should just boycote them and go to the head and explain just how lazy and negligent the current NM is and tell them why, maybe you'll make NM sooner than you thought then .

I think if we were allowed to have sims training and didn't have to pick it up as we went along like everything else we'd all be better off. I don't mind being responsible for Info Systems in the school, but i would like some formal training at least.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by indiegirl
    Quote Originally Posted by NetworkGeezer

Only 300Mb??? I think it will be a bit more than that because the SQL server will dump a bak file of least 812mb into the free space. It could be a lot more considering the size of the ldf.

If your backup folder is in a different partition then you might not have a problem.
    Can I redirect the output to another folder... will it allow me to do that - then move it back, or is SIMS gonna get very grumpy with me?
    Yes if you ca get into Sysman then there is an option called Backup Path to do this on the Tools menu. I am not quite sure what the equivalent would be from the command line. Hopefully it wouldn't involve creating and running an ad hoc sql file /me shivers

Thank Post

I didn't think the ldf size was of concern when doing the back-up. Thought it was just the mdf size.

I would have thought that not backing up or updating the mis could well have been catostrophic. Unless of course he was backing up the mdf and ldf files directly using what ever backup system you have there. Although he'd have to stop the services and start them again. That might be too much trouble for him, lol.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by NetworkGeezer
    Yes if you ca get into Sysman then there is an option called Backup Path to do this on the Tools menu. I am not quite sure what the equivalent would be from the command line. Hopefully it wouldn't involve creating and running an ad hoc sql file /me shivers
    I've got enough space to get SIMS open now so I can get into Sysman. I will run a backup as I leave tonight, and see if that changes / reduces the .ldf file and we'll go from there.

If that doesn't reduce the .ldf file, I think I might phone the font of knowledge that is Capita tomorrow and request a formal answer to this ldf reduction...

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffkins
    I didn't think the ldf size was of concern when doing the back-up. Thought it was just the mdf size.
    SQL server has to commit pending transactions from the ldf to the mdf before clearing the ldf. This normally happens when the SQL backup takes place, at the bak file stage.

I would have thought that not backing up or updating the mis could well have been catostrophic. Unless of course he was backing up the mdf and ldf files directly using what ever backup system you have there. Although he'd have to stop the services and start them again. That might be too much trouble for him, lol.
    He would have to create a script that will wait while 110gb is backed up to tape. I can't imagine him doing this manually and waiting three or more hours while this happens.

Thank Post

Sorry i was just being a litte sarcastic, i didn't really think he'd be manually backing up.

Which would mean that he hasn't been backing up at all. If the data got corrupt and capita couldn't work their magic on it, you'd be going back to autumn when he did his last update and it ran the sql backup as part of the process. Which to me sounds quite catastrophic.

Thank Post

Which to me sounds quite catastrophic.
    omg, me too...

That said, there is one backup in the backup list after a patch, that was from December (would that have been a full backup though?). The rest, I "tidied" away earlier at the suggestion of Capita.

I really hope that this backup can sort out this ldf file..

(on the subject of backups, when I arrived here, the school system backup policy was for him to put it in when he remembered. I organised and setup Veritas with a daily & monthly backup schedule and reminded him of this. When I've been away, despite telling him what tapes to use, I get back to cancelled backups and the tape drive empty...)

I suspect it's got this big because the NM doesn't understand SIMS. Neither of us have been on any courses, etc.. and you only have to ask SYSMAN_MK as to how the current NM struggled when he took over in the school (SYSMAN_MK used to be the NM here until a couple of years ago).
    Oh the stories I have. I have never met anyone who can leave such a lasting impression.

Thank Post

That said, there is one backup in the backup list after a patch, that was from December (would that have been a full backup though?). The rest, I "tidied" away earlier at the suggestion of Capita.
    It would have been a full backup, any time you update sims.net with solus it carrys out the backup, if it didn't you wouldn't have one at all by the sounds of it. Maybe he thinks it magically backs up when he's not looking. Either that or he thinks because your doing everything else for him you might be doing that too, which now you are . You should stop doing everything for him and see what happens...

Thank Post

Oh I will stop... when I'm in my notice period :-D

Well, tonight is the telling time I guess. I take it that I can run the backup tonight and, er, run?! ;-) (do I have to supervise it?) Are they lengthy?

SYSMAN... you should tell all...... some I know, but I hope there's more that I don't ;-)

Thank Post

Well mine normally take 5-10 minutes, but i don't have a 110gb ldf, so i'm not sure how long it will take. I would get everyone out a little early and make sure it goes through ok.

Thank Post

OK, I've also just been reading (in anticipation of problems) paulsharpe's thread on backup problems here.

Dare I try the shrinkdblog.bat file first??

Thank Post

OK, I've also just been reading (in anticipation of problems) paulsharpe's thread on backup problems here.

Dare I try the shrinkdblog.bat file first??
    I can't find any documentation on it other the quoted KB number.

Perhaps it's time to call Capita again as you have narrowed down the problem quite a lot. Try to sound like your in floods of tears and they may hand you to someone who knows what they're doing .

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Judging from this you do understand that the backup that it makes during upgrades isn't a complete copy? And if you don't have a decent copy of the database its completely useless? I've had to install SIMS .Net from scratch and get data back on more than one occasion not a pretty sight especially if you've had to send the data to Capita because its messed up from the old sims server! Indiegirl I think you should tell the head what he's been doing...sorry hasn't been doing and why this would constitute a sackable offense or at least a demotion he's not capable of running the network and certainly not capable of doing the job ask the head how they would feel if they lost 12 months of sims data due to incompetence on the part of the your current muppet NM!

Fozzy Bear is alive and well and holidaying in india!

Wes

Thank Post

*bangs head on desk repeatedly*

This is really serious, isn't it? I mean, I might joke and laugh about this, but no proper full backups, and no upgrades...

I feel like I'm toeing an extremely fine line here with this, am now currently praying that it won't fall over and die and we lose data...

Right, I have my plan in place (I'm a girl who likes to plan):

3pm - run SIMS backup through sys manager - redirect output to a.n.other drive. Ensure that backup completes successfully. If not, ring Capita and stress.

8am - log into Sims, SQL server, etc - check that darn ldf file - call Capita if it's still problematic.

Then, meet line manager for debriefing and stress the situation. Poss knock up an incident report and email it to SMT if I deem that suitable.

This has been a rather interesting day... rather like having someone unravel a very large ball of wool, then drop it and leave me to pick it all up.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast