+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, How much disk space do you have for SIMS.net? in Technical; lmao, i wonder why it is they employ this particular fellow? Where is the NM though? Shouldn't he be sorting ...
    Thank Post

Re: How much disk space do you have for SIMS.net?

lmao, i wonder why it is they employ this particular fellow? Where is the NM though? Shouldn't he be sorting this out himself?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I run a System -> Tools -> Backup everynight which just saves a few things but even though the MDF here is 503mb the ldf is only 2.3mb so tell them that it will be shutting down in ten minutes for a twenty minutes fix then run what Snuffkins suggested it needs to be done and as long as you backup your decisions with fact i.e. the server will be unusable by the end of the week so no-one will be able to access sims then I think they'll capitulate! Don't take no for an answer go to the head about it stating what will happend and tell them to log out! If they don't reboot the server within an hour and then do it lol!

Wes

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

He's in india Snuffkins!

He's a complete prat by the looks of it!

While I was working at Snuffkins place we had a few people who didn't like me stopping the SIMS server I still did though! In the end the servers are your responsibility not theirs if they want a good service then every so often these things need doing!

Wes

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by indiegirl
    Let's see... I am running...... 7.62, build 8, DB build 3.61.198

I couldn't honestly tell you if the NM has ever backed SIMS.net up... I'm very, very worried now...
    So remember kids: Backup your MIS or other DB at leat a few times within 6 months.

Thank Post

Isn't 7.62 the January release? Do you think if it didn't back up with an upgrade he would have done it at all?

Thank Post

Indeed, the NM is in India, on a month-long holiday. I am the sole IT rep, which whilst this is good for my learning curve, it's not great for my stress levels.

I'd say that he planned for this to happen, *if* I had the confidence that he knew what he was doing.

I'm in two minds over what to do, whether to run the backup and see if that sorts it, or whether to, ahem, just leave it in the hope that we can run with it for a few more months (by which time I think I'll have left this place and gone back to my old school).. and then hope it falls over again... big style :-D

Of course, as I'm conscientious and have identified the fault, I'll fix it, even though I don't want to ;-)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffkins
    Isn't 7.62 the January release? Do you think if it didn't back up with an upgrade he would have done it at all?
    If memory serves:

7.62 Autumn main release
    7.64 December update release
    7.68 January update release featuring Office 2003 PIA install issue. Nice.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

It will do your own job and career prospects a world of good if you manage to sort out as many problems as you can, but make sure you document them. "Such and such a problem has built up since many months ago which is now solved" - reflects well on you as to how well you can cope

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by indiegirl
    Indeed, the NM is in India, on a month-long holiday. I am the sole IT rep, which whilst this is good for my learning curve, it's not great for my stress levels.
    Look on the bright side. You got a 3 pager on eduGeek in only 3 hours!!! Go girl!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by NetworkGeezer
    Look on the bright side. You got a 3 pager on eduGeek in only 3 hours!!! Go girl!
    Only through my own inadequacies!

I think, knowing the NM as I do, that he may not have run any updates at all... I've just explained the situation to our line manager, who, as usual, doesn't appear to care as long as SIMS is working.

Thanks guys for all your thoughts, one day (in the future) I'll make NM.

I document everything I do (and everything he doesn't, hahaha), so I'll store this one for future ref.

Thank Post

So let me get this right, he hasn't bothered updating since Autumn? Wow i'd have been sacked by now if we were still using the Autumn release. No wonder the ldf is so big, lol. Oh well i guess there has to be the odd negligent person, otherwise what would the rest of us have to fix lol. And no i don't want a big list of things we'd have to fix lol.

Thank Post

I think that sounds about right. No backups, no updates... 8O

I've told senior mgt that he's incompetent, they know he's incompetent but have told me: "unless he does something catastrophic, we don't have any grounds to sack him"

(i could run a whole forum on the grounds I have for sacking him. I once got sacked myself, for exactly what I still don't know - my termination letter never said (i wasn't there a year so a loophole in the law was exercised). Having been sacked, it infuriates me that someone so incompetent is allowed to remain.

Not that I really mind.. a couple of months at the most and I shall be gone from here, back to my old place... and back to a SIMS that works (although they want to move to Pearson's E1...)

Thank Post

Only 300Mb??? I think it will be a bit more than that because the SQL server will dump a bak file of least 812mb into the free space. It could be a lot more considering the size of the ldf.

If your backup folder is in a different partition then you might not have a problem.
    Yeah, suppose it will take a bit more, just going on the size of the backups we generate - typically 320Mb from a 1.2Gb database. dbattach generates .zip files though, not bak files afaik.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by steve

Yeah, suppose it will take a bit more, just going on the size of the backups we generate - typically 320Mb from a 1.2Gb database. dbattach
    generates .zip files though, not bak files afaik.
    SQL Server only generates the bak file. It's SysMan or DBAttach which then creates the zip file. That's why you need so much space because you have to in effect copy the entire MDF into the bak file and then have room for the resulting zip file.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by steve

Only 300Mb??? I think it will be a bit more than that because the SQL server will dump a bak file of least 812mb into the free space. It could be a lot more considering the size of the ldf.

If your backup folder is in a different partition then you might not have a problem.
    Yeah, suppose it will take a bit more, just going on the size of the backups we generate - typically 320Mb from a 1.2Gb database. dbattach generates .zip files though, not bak files afaik.
    Can I redirect the output to another folder... will it allow me to do that - then move it back, or is SIMS gonna get very grumpy with me?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast