+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, System DSN in Technical; Morning all, The entries for SIMS32 in the ODBC Data Source Administrator applet (under System DSN)...who or what puts these ...

Thank Post

System DSN

Morning all,

The entries for SIMS32 in the ODBC Data Source Administrator applet (under System DSN)...who or what puts these things here. I have a mashed up install of sims and noticed that these entries are missing on this one workstation, or is this to do with FMS rather than SIMS.

Get to the log in screen in sims, log in, and then it sticks on the splash screen, pulsar.exe isn't doing anything on the cpu....any thoughts? Re-runs of simsinst have proved fruitless.

It's on a older computer but you wouldn't expect it to take more than ten minutes to load into sims.net? would you?!! Plus task manager says it's not responding...

Thank Post
    The System DSN entry is put in by FMS i believe.. the version pre migration to sql 2005.

Only time i get workstations stuck at the splash screen its been a network issue.

Thank Post
    Mmmm the workstation eventually goes in,...but it's unfeasibly slow, i hadn't been patient enough! (login >10 minutes!)

This surely isn't right, but the workstation and the pc running as the sims server are both fairly spec'd. The NICs are running at 100Mbps, plenty of ram, paging file space...

the only thing i've noticed is that their peer to peer network is utilising a hub not a switch. could this be the cause of the slowness. mapping a drive and access shares is fast enough...just sims is a complete dog like i've never seen before.

Nick

Thank Post
    I assume you mean logging into FMS and not Windows?

A hub? Eeeek! We still have schools that use them, so can't moan too much.

Where does your "SIMS FMS Module" icon point to?

C:\SIMS\FMSLOAD.EXE "C:\SIMS\Finance.exe"

Or...

S:\SIMS\FMSLOAD.EXE "S:\SIMS\Finance.exe"

The latter will mean you are dragging the "Finance.exe" program across the network.

Far better when installing FMS to have the program files local.

Re-install FMS on the workstation (using a 6.82 or above CD) and when you reach the screen "Network Installation Components", select the top two options, then on the next screen "Where is the SIMS Directory?", type C:\SIMS

(CD's prior to 6.82 will over-write S:\SIMS\Setups\FMSApplicationSetup.exe and its signature file, so make a copy first!)

If it is still slow, read the tail end of FinanceC.pdf and look at the page 55 (as shown on the bottom of the page, not in the Adovbe window!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread