+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS over VPN in Technical; My former boss wants teachers to be able to log into the SIMS client from home over the VPN. I ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

SIMS over VPN

My former boss wants teachers to be able to log into the SIMS client from home over the VPN. I think this is a bad idea but can't articulate why. I would much rather they use the offline client that we spent so damn long setting up for all of them.

What do you all think? Do you let your teachers use SIMS over VPN or do you use another solution like Terminal Services or the Offline Client?

Thank Post

Re: SIMS over VPN

Terminal services is going to be the easiest and more secure route I would have thought. It all comes down to the security issues though I would have thought.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Its my preferred method I will admit. Come April I'll be buying some TS CALs and installing TS on a server.

Thank Post

Over here we have a few teachers laptops with Teachers Desktop on it. The question is what would the teachers require access to, and why.

Thank Post

Id go for a nice secure desktop where they can only run what sims needs. If you need to test it over the VPN for now you get about a 90 day grace period on the client licences.

Thank Post

MS Says:
    "Negative analyses of PPTP were published over three years ago. Security analysts identified three problems that were immediately corrected. Since then, there have been no new issues cited. Their most serious complaint was not concerning the implementation but rather that the use of a user name and password for VPN connections is not as secure as certificate-based authentication. Microsoft agrees with this conclusion which is one of the reasons why Windows 2000 Server and Windows Server 2003 support public key infrastructure (PKI) and include a certification authority service. If you must use user names and passwords, enforce the use of strong passwords. Strong passwords are long (more than eight characters) and contain a random mixture of upper and lower case letters, numbers, and punctuation. An example of a strong password is f*3L~qO2>xR3w#4o."

Personally, I wouldn't worry about using it. You can use the Connection Manager Administration Kit to create an easy setup for the users and providing they are given strict instructions on security and you don't have any split tunneling going on, then it should be pretty easy and safe to use....

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH
    Terminal services is going to be the easiest and more secure route I would have thought. It all comes down to the security issues though I would have thought.
    I agree - we're putting in a 30 user Citrix solution for pretty much this reason.

Thank Post

There's a good discussion over on this forum if you're interested (from a little while back but the principle is still the same):

http://seclists.org/lists/security-b.../Aug/0497.html

I remembered it because I want to do the same thing.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by apeo
    Over here we have a few teachers laptops with Teachers Desktop on it. The question is what would the teachers require access to, and why.
    The amusingly named Assessment Manager (assman.exe :P) is the primary need. They're making them write all their reports in SIMS Manshead.

Its not security that I'm concerned about so much, the encryption that the VPN connection offers is sufficient. Its more bandwidth concerns and usuability. My ex-boss says that he logs in SIMS "all the time" from home using the VPN connection and says it works fine. I think that when 20/30/40 teachers try it at once it will keel over and die and then people will start shouting at me the next day. Ully tried it last night and said it was crap, constant timeouts and dropped connections to the database.

I told my ex-boss in no uncertain terms that I didn't want people connecting to SIMS over the VPN connection and that I thought it was a bad idea. However he has completely ignored me and told ALL the teachers in a training presentation yesterday to do it. I am pissed off to say the least.

I'm setting up a terminal server now and relying on the 90 grace period.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Norphy
    I told my ex-boss in no uncertain terms that I didn't want people connecting to SIMS over the VPN connection and that I thought it was a bad idea. However he has completely ignored me and told ALL the teachers in a training presentation yesterday to do it. I am pissed off to say the least.
    well as long as your objections (and reasons) are in writing it's his fault (though probably still _your_ problem).

Thank Post

@norphy

I would recommend you check the legal ramifications of having potentially sensitive data available to computers outside your LEA. Check with your LEA that they allow sims data to be accessed from teachers homes.

Personally I would just say it can not be done due to data protection, particularly where children are involved.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

How secure are their home PCs? Have their family been subject to CRB checks?

Thank Post

Hi,

Not quite related to the SIMS issue but calls for accessing school networks from home is going to be more relevant as technology and speed increases.
    Many say why?
    I wouldn't be a teacher if it was handed to me on a plate. What I often see is staff coming in during school holidays or work late to either catch up on paper work or prepare lessons for absent staff etc and some have to travel a fair old distance as well.

How better it would be for them to not have to travel or stay late or leave home if possible.
    The technology is there and so is the demand but not the understanding of why there is a demand.
    Yes there are many arguments against but I think we use them for our own purposes coz we inherent a secure safe network from our LEA or whatever.

I'm not advocating a free for all but I think a more open minded approach from some quarters is needed to see the possiblilities.

Cheers

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost
    Hi,

I'm not advocating a free for all but I think a more open minded approach from some quarters is needed to see the possiblilities.

Cheers
    I dont have a problem with accessing general work data from home, we have easylink that allows all staff and pupils to access their work. But if SIMS data is available and gets into wrong hands we could het sacked. There have been recent cases of teachers who on the sex offenders register getting jobs, if these can get the data at home unsupervised what are we leting ourselves in for?

Thank Post

Of course sensitive data should be very secure and I personally would be against home access to that (SIMS etc)
    The EasyLink idea sounds great but its not just some techhies who are against home access it can be the providers as well.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information