+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS over VPN in Technical; I would not be prepared to allow SIMS over VPN/Thin Client without authorisation from the Borough and also Capita. I ...

Thank Post

Re: SIMS over VPN

I would not be prepared to allow SIMS over VPN/Thin Client without authorisation from the Borough and also Capita.
    I would ask for Borough to provide staff training, and write minimum specification / security documentation.
    I would also require a new contract from my boss to say what level of support is provided for this extended service, and what hours of support are provided.
    Down time would have to be planned further in advance to take into account remote workers.

Good luck to you.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I would have thought that Capita for one would be all for it not only do they give you the option of SIMS .Net Teachers Desktop allowing for a local copy o the database for Profiles, Assessment marking but it also includes all the pupils details anyway and if wanted could provide them with all the photos etc... The LEAs I would believe will be behind this too allowing for much of the extra work load ot be done at home. Capita is starting to provide a VLE system whereby you can gain access to their database from home online instead of the offline Teachers Desktop. I think VPN may not be the answer though I can see it being quite slow!

Wes

Thank Post

We used to run sims.net over vpn, between curriculum and admin networks.

It was hell, we used rsa security fobs, and they were useless, it would just confuse staff.

In the end, we basically took out the vpn, and connected the 2 networks off, but only opened the sql port between the 2 networks, so staff laptops can connect through to the sql server, but only sql queries to the sims database can be accessed so it is just as secure, but with much less hastle.

My experience says do NOT go through VPN, we spent thousands on it on the suggestion of county, and it was useless.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information