+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS and XP SP3 in Technical; Originally Posted by kennysarmy LOL just had this from our LEA: Capita have advised that they will not be supporting ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kennysarmy View Post
    LOL

just had this from our LEA:

Capita have advised that they will not be supporting XP Service Pack 3 until the August Release this year. Other LA Support Teams have reported various problems running SIMS on workstations that have been upgraded.

too late was the cry.....
    mmmmm I do agree with the above however....

We had problem with Exam organiser - "Automation Error"

Capita told us, via our LEA, to run all available updates, and guess what!! This included SP3, They were aware of this also, so it confused me!!!

In fairness it was prob worth it for them as may have fixed it, even though it made no difference to fix fault!!!!

Thank Post
    We have tested SP3 on the June release.

Thank Post
    So will SP3 be supported in the june release or are you just running compatibility testing with what will be the june release?

Thank Post
    Its installed on all of our admin workstations here, with absolutely no problems!

Capita should really start supporting things the day that they come out.

Thank Post
    Capita should really start supporting things the day that they come out.
    How would they test something that isn't out to know if they can support it?

Thank Post
    Its only been tested on the June release but to my knowledge nothing was changed to make it conform. We'll help people using pre-June on SP3.

metalmonkey
    How would they test something that isn't out to know if they can support it?
    Like every other software developers out there. They test it on the Beta releases to be in a better position than not testing it at all, until the final release.

Capita are not small fry. They are a big company and should be investing a lot of money in R & D... but don't.

Thank Post
    Well they say they do invest but i'm not so sure. Still i don't think many companies pushing out mission critical software test on another software houses beta code, MS could change anything and you would have to retest again. You can only be sure once you have tested on the released product.

metalmonkey
    If that was true (about being mission critical), then capita need to go back to the drawing board. I remember when SIMS.net was released. It was so buggy it would be hard to call it an Alpha release.

This May - on the second release, they fixed a bug where SIMS.Net would create a folder called C:\Program. Thats not been tested. They forgot to wrap the string in quotes. But more to the point, why is Program Files being hard coded? There is an API for that.

The truth is, Capita have two or three developers on SIMS.Net - but thats just a guess and it's a guess judging by the quality of the software. If they have more... well, they need to get some new coders in.

By the by... When MS release a beta, or any other reasonable company, then that can be assumed to be close to the final release, except for bug fixes (exceptions granted). But if Capita were to test on all Beta's prior to final release (ie, Vista), Capita would be able to get SIMS working without the end user being an Admin (as an example).

My point was this... they will find the bigger problems if they test on the beta's, leaving the minor issues to be relolved once it's released - and that means, they save time.

Thank Post
    I've supported SIMS and SIMS.net for 7 years now and i can only agree that it's been pretty poor for most of that time but it is still supposed to be mission critical.

I've been at a company that wrights management software for TDG and other very large companies and their team has 4-5 members on that product, maybe Capita are a person short of the ideal but it's only a front end to a SQL Db at the end of the day.

Capita would be able to get SIMS working without the end user being an Admin
    Non of my end users are admins, lesson monitor was a small issue but that problem is on it's way out now.

I agree that they should be supporting the latest SP's sooner but on release is a bit soon in my opinion i wouldn't trust testing that was done on beta code.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information