+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS and XP SP3 in Technical; No problems here on our one test PC....

Thank Post
    No problems here on our one test PC.

Thank Post
    No problems here - dont see why there should be problems really

Thank Post
    We only use SIMS for finance. Everything else is done on Facility, but i'll still hold off on upgrading the finance machines until I can get some testing done.

I dont expect any problems as I've rolled it out to my entire curriculum network and nothing has broken.

Thank Post
    I wonder if Capita will expand upon what they think is stuffed in SIMS on XPSP3. From the replies above it would appear to be something either very specific or localised, which is why people haven't found it yet, so if Capita could say what it is, we can then make the decision ourselves as to whether or not to make the move to SP3. Just going "don't do it" is something of a cop-out really.

Thank Post
    [QUOTE=Whitestar;194892]We only use SIMS for finance. Everything else is done on Facility[QUOTE]

I have exactly the same setup. Although Facility often break things with their updates, there updates are a breeze to install compared to SIMS. Glad I don't have to support SIMS on all the machines.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    I wonder if Capita will expand upon what they think is stuffed in SIMS on XPSP3.
    A freshly-installed SP3 PC I set up with SIMS yesterday didn't work - SIMS refused to start. Turns out that .net needed upgrading via Windows Update - either SP3 doesn't upgrade .net or the SIMS installer is wiping over the OS-installed version.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Turns out that .net needed upgrading via Windows Update - either SP3 doesn't upgrade .net or the SIMS installer is wiping over the OS-installed version.
    Windows Update isn't an option here, although I could persuade it to re-install .Net separately, either before or after SIMS (or possibly both!). I'd rather not though, as it would make future rebuilds more fiddly.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    A freshly-installed SP3 PC I set up with SIMS yesterday didn't work - SIMS refused to start. Turns out that .net needed upgrading via Windows Update - either SP3 doesn't upgrade .net or the SIMS installer is wiping over the OS-installed version.

--
    David Hicks
    SP3 Doesnt install .net 2, im guessing cause its not critical (optional update). SIMS doesnt remove it but it does need .net 2 (for may update).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I wonder if Capita will expand upon what they think is stuffed in SIMS on XPSP3. From the replies above it would appear to be something either very specific or localised, which is why people haven't found it yet, so if Capita could say what it is, we can then make the decision ourselves as to whether or not to make the move to SP3. Just going "don't do it" is something of a cop-out really.
    But that would involve product testing. Repeat after me, Capita, t-e-s-t-i-n-g. Trouble is, it takes time, and the developers/project managers are no doubt being pressured to release as soon as possible, especially with this release because of the census.
    you can't have it both ways

Thank Post
    Running several SIMS PC's on SP3 here to test and no issues so far. I suppose Capita can say that they aren't supporting it untill they test it fully if you have any problems then it's your fault for upgrading (the usuall).

Thank Post
    For something as mission critical as SIMS we do test extensively on all supported operating systems. We don't say that something is supported until we have done those tests. Every operating system release increases the testing burden and so we are cautious about taking on new systems without dropping support for older ones.

As far as I am aware there are no specific issues with this release.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    you can't have it both ways
    How were my two posts contradictory? One said that Capita don't test adequately, while the other suggested they tell us what the issue is so that we can decide whether it is worth the risk.

Personally, I find it annoying when a product is released and then pulled because it doesn't work in a specific configuration or it breaks a specific feature - if we don't have that configuration or use the affected feature, why can't we run the upgrade?

Thank Post
    How were my two posts contradictory? One said that Capita don't test adequately, while the other suggested they tell us what the issue is so that we can decide whether it is worth the risk.
    they'd have to test it to find out what the risk was. How would they know if there was an issue unless they test.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    they'd have to test it to find out what the risk was. How would they know if there was an issue unless they test.
    If they had done adequate testing in the first place (my first point) they would not only have known they were releasing buggy software but would know what they bug was, and could then advise us and allow us to make an informed decision on whether or not to upgrade (my second point).

Thank Post
    If they had done adequate testing in the first place (my first point) they would not only have known they were releasing buggy software but would know what they bug was, and could then advise us and allow us to make an informed decision on whether or not to upgrade (my second point).
    It seems that Capitas development architecture wouldn't allow for that. SIMS is heavily platform dependent and any changes on the OS would have to be tested thoroughly- As Phil indicated, this has to be done after any major OS release such as a service pack. I don't think they could get the service pack before anyone else. Personally I'm just going to wait until they officially support it before I start installing anything. It isn't a race.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information