Site Maintenance this evening The site will be offline for hosting changes. Time TBC

+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS 2008 May Re-Release - 21/05/08 in Technical; make sure .net 2 framework is installed as it won't work otherwise and the update will fail on the clients......
    Thank Post
    make sure .net 2 framework is installed as it won't work otherwise and the update will fail on the clients...

2. 2 Thanks to Grommit:

HodgeHi (3rd June 2008), markwatkins (5th June 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    make sure .net 2 framework is installed as it won't work otherwise and the update will fail on the clients...
    Yeh, just found that out Going to double check my WSUS server to see if I can push out .net 2 (thought I already had...)

Tempted to branch this out into FFS!!!! Add to that areas of our network that have low wireless signal and it's been a right PITA today. Roll on the new school when I intend getting staff a PC to use in each classroom for SIMS!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    Yeah its in the release notes, its been a long time coming so .net 2 has been on our images for ages.

Thank Post
    Hi, no ideas why this update is ok on one school but not another? Tearing my hair out here :-(
    Chris

Thank Post
    What problems you getting?

Thank Post
    Hi, and thanks for your reply, this:

Quote Originally Posted by cuke2u View Post
    Hi, I have applied the revised May release however I am still getting the same document server error; "Unable to find a document server. Please check in Tools, System Setup". I also put in the fixes outline in the KB release.
    Any clues, this is driving me mad :-(
    Chris

I have sucessfully updated one school with the May release, however the other school still has the document server error despite using the revised release. If I go into sims/tools/setup/document management server and test it, it says server not found. I've checked all the settings and they are correct, I've also looked at the services and the SIMS.net Document Server is running
    Cheers,
    Chris
    Last edited by cuke2u; 3rd June 2008 at 01:37 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apeo View Post
    Yeah its in the release notes, its been a long time coming so .net 2 has been on our images for ages.
    Unfortunately our LEA didn't advise me before putting the May re-release that this was required..........

I think we're all sorted now though

Thank Post
    Hi, I sorted it by manually running the SIMSDocumentServerSetup.exe on all work stations.
    Thanks...
    Chris

Thank Post
    We did the upgrade yesterday evening. Tested it on one machine worked ok. So we thought all was fine. However, it turned out this morning that it breaks the .net 2 framework on some machines and it has to be repaired. 30ish in total. Also it seems that if .net 3 framework is installed it doesn't work either? ... Has anyone else had this happen?

It's been quite a hectic morning so far but everything seems ok now, fingers crossed. Just hope the next upgrade doesn't take out over half my staff machines ...

Phill.

Thank Post
    @cuke2u

Mate, running the SIMSDocumentServerSetup.exe should have just installed a local copy of the document server on each of those workstations (I think).

I'd double check your workstations are pointing at your actual DocServer just in case (In SIMS net tools menu) then check that someone who makes their own reports can access them from one of the workstations you had this problem on.

I might be wrong but I thought I'd say something JIC, it can't do you any harm to check. I looked at your post saying the DocServer was down and thought maybe firewall or an IP address issue / similar.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snuffkins View Post
    Also it seems that if .net 3 framework is installed it doesn't work either?
    That's weird - I thought one of the SIMS installer things last year actually put .net3 on, in readiness for when it would be needed. Or was that .net2?

Thank Post
    I think last year it put .net 2 on with the August upgrade [edit - part of the ccsInfrastructre.exe (or similar name) as you say - in readiness for I think SQLServer 2005] I'm sure I've seen SIMS work with .net 3 though....
    Last edited by superfletch; 5th June 2008 at 02:08 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by superfletch View Post
    @cuke2u

Mate, running the SIMSDocumentServerSetup.exe should have just installed a local copy of the document server on each of those workstations (I think).

I'd double check your workstations are pointing at your actual DocServer just in case (In SIMS net tools menu) then check that someone who makes their own reports can access them from one of the workstations you had this problem on.

I might be wrong but I thought I'd say something JIC, it can't do you any harm to check. I looked at your post saying the DocServer was down and thought maybe firewall or an IP address issue / similar.
    Hi and thanks for your reply, you are quite correct, it didn't work again after ending the session then re-starting it again. I've got something to try that the county IT have given me, I'll see if that works tomorrow...
    Cheers,
    Chris

Thank Post
    No worries dude.

I wasn't really sure but I don't think I've ever needed to run it on a client in order to get the DocServer going....

ahh SIMS dot ing net
    Last edited by superfletch; 5th June 2008 at 08:40 PM. Reason: To add humour

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    Is there anyway SimS updates can be done without admin rights on the client side?

I am only just starting out in the SIMS world of management and at the moment our clients need admin rights to update each client, which means i have to manually go around each staff machine and log in myself to do the updates?

It may be something i have done to make it this way so i am open to any suggestions.
    I believe the SIMSPERM.BAT file run on the workstation with admin rights sets the appropriate drive area and registry area with appropriate permissions to allow updates to happen.

Havent tried it yet though, still experimenting with SIMS setups on teacher machines ready for Electronic Registration in September. So far only a certain Security Group get local admin rights. The machines are tightly locked down with GPO's anyway so local admin rights doesn't let them do much anyway (not that they would know how to!)

Have also read in various Captia documentation that the users only need READ access to the SIMS area on the Server, not READ/WRITE. Also recommends not allowing the workstation virus scan to scan this directory (if using ON ACCESS) to help improve speed. Did notice a small improvement on startup speed.

Pete

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast