+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
MIS Systems Thread, Keep Kids Safe in Technical; ...
    Unvalidated User
    Thank Post

Cost of SQL Server

I saw a discussion earlier in the thread about the cost of SQL Server, so I thought I'd make a quick comment.

If a user, such as a student or parent, is only viewing MIS data, e.g. in SharePoint, then there is no SQL CAL licence requirement. A good example would be the presentation of attendance information to parents as part of an online reporting solution. Those entering the data and working regularly with the MIS would require a SQL CAL ........ or a per processor licence for SQL Server which can often be much more cost effective. The approximate cost of a SQL processor licence is £800, so in the example of 400 users, the cost per user for SQL (assuming a dual proc server) would be £4 rather than the £19 suggested.

A further thought for schools is that where the student is licensed, so too are the parents. Microsoft does not require a licence for parental access to SharePoint, SQL, Windows, etc where the student has a licence e.g. Core CAL.

A Microsoft EdLAR offers the best advice and pricing for schools.

Regards
    Mark

2. Thanks to markabe from:

MattMitchell (3rd June 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    Some Texting Software products interface better with SIMS than others do. It is not a coincidence that Schoolcomms is on the SIMS Homepage!
    Ahem ..... other than the fact the Schoolcomms have to pay Capita for that privilege you mean!

Schoolcomms is a commercial partner with Capita which means Capita take a slug of revenue from Schoolcomms every time they sell to a school. Sounds like a good reason to put a link on a home page to me!

Plus of course the owner of Schoolcomms is a former director of Capita! (Wheels within wheels eh!)

I really must try to stop being so cynical - must try harder
    Last edited by marshharrier; 4th June 2009 at 11:27 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the info, Marsh, but I was aware of all that anyway!
    Not what you know - just who you know eh?

Thank Post
    It's probably a bit of both - Schoolcomms will also be helping Capita to sell SIMS by extending the available functionality and (hopefully) making the suite into a Good Thing to have...

Effective business relationships do tend to work in this way!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    Thanks for the info, Marsh, but I was aware of all that anyway!
    Not what you know - just who you know eh?
    Not meaning to be a pedant BUT ... don't you think that stating that it was 'no coincidence' that Schoolcomms was on the SIMS.net homepage when you knew there was a vested interest/connection between the two companies which you chose NOT to disclose .... was just ever so slightly disingenuous!

Comments like that give people a certain impression that in this case isn't fair or balanced.

Quote Originally Posted by MattMitchell View Post
    It's probably a bit of both - Schoolcomms will also be helping Capita to sell SIMS by extending the available functionality and (hopefully) making the suite into a Good Thing to have...

Effective business relationships do tend to work in this way!
    ... ermm I doubt that a major decision such as which MIS tool a school might use could be influenced by a small third party software provider!

I do however agree that partnerships between companies offering complimentary products/services is usually good for customers but transparency/honesty is important so that customers can make a considered choice.

So many companies now use dubious tactics to hide relevant facts from schools. It's very easy to make the wrong choice based on misleading information, and we all need to guard against it. Hopefully the Edugeek forum should provide this balance by allowing this kind of correction where misleading information is provided!

Thank Post
    Apologies if I mislead anybody. That was not my intention.
    It was just to demonstrate that Schoolcomms maybe has a closer working arrangement with SIMS than maybe some other systems. This is one of the reasons we chose it after looking at others in real working environments.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123