+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMs May upgrade and Net Framework 2.0 in Technical; Did you know that the new SIMs upgrade requires Net Framework 2.0 to run after it upgrades. This caught us ...
    Thank Post

SIMs May upgrade and Net Framework 2.0

Did you know that the new SIMs upgrade requires Net Framework 2.0 to run after it upgrades. This caught us out today with a handful of staff laptops. We did the upgrade on the server and then tested a couple of laptops to make sure the Sims.net upgrade went OK. THis is when we found out some of our laptops did not upgrade right. The upgrade seem to work but then we go the XP error beep and no log in box. We tried this both as a limited user and a full admin and still no joy.

The only thing was we noticed some of our laptops whose RIS image had not been updated for a while did not have Dot.Net 2.0 > I checked Capita fourms and someone else had posted about it to confirm what we thought.

I did not realise the WSUS did not deploy the Net 2.0 but only the service packs. I had to set up a GPO to deploy Net 2.0 in the morning and hopefully this will be picked up on first login and stop Sims from not working after the upgrade.....if not the phone is going to be busy first thing.

I can't find any info on Capitas site about this , but i thought that we would have had some heads up on this but maybe i missed it.

Hope this helps some of you.

Thank Post
    Yeah experniced it today will a lot of machines keep us on our toes and the phone busy

Thank Post
    I had the Microsoft .net problems myself wasted about 2 hours doing updates to machines before I got it to work. It also still runs on windows 2000 computers

Thank Post
    It's been known since November (well, since the 2005 upgrade) that .net2 was going to be needed at some point. Just so happens, that point was now.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tosca925 View Post
    I can't find any info on Capitas site about this , but i thought that we would have had some heads up on this but maybe i missed it.
    It's on the release notes for the May release on page 4 (at the top), i normally download them from the Capita website, or is it the solus one..?
    But the release notes have much more detail than the notes we get from our local support "Capita .ICT" - having the word Capita in there is not reassuring.

I have some machines that have .Net 2 but still don't work. I get the following error:

Fault code: 1796-9956-4800

any ideas? a search for solution on capita didn't return anything yet, so it must be new and to do with this upgrade..

Thank Post
    Re-install net 2.0 again manually , cured that fault for us

Thank Post
    I had similar when we put .net2 on BUT didn't reinstall SIMS to build it against it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnix View Post
    I tried piloting the May release on two test sites.

The May release didn't talk to the document server. I'm waiting for a fix from Capita.

They've released this as an interim fix (which I'm not going to do - I'm waiting on a proper fix)

KB79774

http://support.capitaes.co.uk/websup...spx?KB=KB79774
    We had this issue and had being pushing capita for two days before option three worked.

I doubt there will be a proper fix, i think we will get stuck with option three.

Thank Post
    I got my issue fixed with Fault Code 1796-9956-4800
    It was the Dot Net Framework 2 issue, but somehow it was corrupt. version 3 i thought would be backward compatible but wasn't.
    So, the solution that worked for me was to run the dotnet framework 2 and do a repair.
    So now thats fixed, i'll expect some of the other issues to do with reporting and the document management server....

Thank Post
    So you installed .net3 not .net2 as per your original post?

Guess I won't be allocating that out by GPO for our new machines.

Thank Post
    I tried .net 3 thinking that it included all the stuff from .net 2, as i've been told in the past, but that didn't work.

i just ran the .net 2 file and chose the repair option to get rid of the error, the presence or absence of .net 3 on the machines seemed irrelevant.

i've done some machines by hand, and i've given instructions so that people can try the fix themselves, otherwise i wouldn't make it around to all 100 staff laptops!

it seems to be going ok, and after a reboot all is well.

some bit of software or perhaps .net 3 itself seems to have corrupted part of the .net 2 install and the repair is the quickest fix at the moment. i'll probably find that tomorrow something else will break.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread