+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Sims May Release in Technical; Well I can confirm the upgrade borked SIMS as describe above but in addition to this the following is also ...
    Thank Post

Thumbs down

Well I can confirm the upgrade borked SIMS as describe above but in addition to this the following is also true.

The have activated NOVA-T6 which a link now site DIRECTLY under NOVA-T4 confusing the hell out of our users, this could cause data issues if someone goes into T6 and does stuff but I don't know

I have had reports from other schools in my LEA that the SIMS document server itself has stopped responding resulting in no documents and/or reports

Just another day after a SIMS upgrade

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We initially had an issue as we also have Schoolcomms installed on the server to help speed up the import wizard (but used elsewhere as a client) and after the upgrade you then get errors on the SchoolComms API.

After a bit of faffing around last night we discovered that uninstalling the old version (5.0) and then installing the new version (5.1) did not fix it, but we then had to uninstall Schoolcomms completely and then reboot. If you then log into SIMS and make sure it is happy *then* install the latest build of SchoolComms it is fine.

I spoke with Schoolcomms this morning and the issue is the upgrade is meant to delete a conf file to stop this from happening (the conf file gets recreated next time schoolcomms connects) but it didn't work for us and I heard from 2 other schools with a similar issue.

They are raising it with Capita to see if it is just that we are flippin' awkward (the likely case).

Thank Post
    Waste of time this bloody update. Thoroughly pee'd off.

Capita's code can't handle a space in the temp env variable so we've been advised to manually change every affected station to c:\windows\temp. Genius.

Exams Organiser died when trying to submit exams entries, have to manually 'amend' the schools name to add an A, save it, remove the A, save it, and hey presto. - Genius screw up with a cracking workaround.

And just to top it all off, the users now have T4 AND T6 to get confused with.

And we're not in a position to back out because of tomorrows Census and the upgrade only being released late last week.

Waste of *** time.

</rant>
    Last edited by vikpaw; 30th June 2011 at 02:26 PM. Reason: language!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by m2d2 View Post
    Have a look at this

Capita have released an interim patch.
    Capita won't release the patch to me. They told me to apply the upgrade. This is ridiculous!!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pmassingham View Post
    Capita won't release the patch to me. They told me to apply the upgrade. This is ridiculous!!
    Thats way harsh... hope theres nothing wrong with the patch as i applied it this afternoon. My provider stated that Capita did not release the patch till after they left (after 4) so i had to get it done today. Downloaded the patch and dbupgraded.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmount View Post
    Waste of time this bloody update. Thoroughly pissed off.

Capita's code can't handle a space in the temp env variable so we've been advised to manually change every affected station to c:\windows\temp. Genius.

Exams Organiser died when trying to submit exams entries, have to manually 'amend' the schools name to add an A, save it, remove the A, save it, and hey presto. - Genius screw up with a cracking workaround.

And just to top it all off, the users now have T4 AND T6 to get confused with.

And we're not in a position to back out because of tomorrows Census and the upgrade only being released late last week.

Waste of sodding time.

</rant>
    We had the exact same issue in exams. This silly fix sorted it for us too.

I got a phone call from our support team that a 'New May Update' is being developed to fix the problem some are having with reports!

Thank Post
    just swore at the screen when I saw that the May Main Release had disappeared from my solus screen and the census patch was there instead.

After reading this thread I am somewhat relieved.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    When will people learn

Don't do Capita updates unless there is a reason to!

Keeping an MIS system running should be the main priority, not new features.

Thank Post
    @ittech:

We are a high school with a sixth form and we have been told to do this as our census which is due today would not work as is the case for most on this post.

I'm sorry but it is not a case of new features but a case of we have no choice, I cannot remember when I last did an upgrade that was by choice and not out of the need to fix something that was broken in the last update.

Although I agree that keeping an MIS functioning is priority however, with SIMS, this is never the case as there is always and update to do before some kind of data submission is required so most of us with SIMS have no choice in the matter

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    Upgraded to May08 release build 11 version 7.104 and all is well except for confusing T4 and T6 links on the left but only for those users who have the rights which are few and far between so all is well that ends well is what i say.
    It cannot be easy to push out a one cap fit's all scenario when all schools are individually setup by LA's and no installation is the same.
    I don't envy Phil Neal and his crew having to meet the ever increasing deadlines which are being forced upon him but then it does filter down to us when the teaching and admin staff cannot get on with their duties when using the Sims.

But all is well with the world today even the OCR online exams.

Hope everyone get's that feelgood factor today as I'm sending it positively over the internet today hehe ;-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTNUT View Post
    We are a high school with a sixth form and we have been told to do this as our census which is due today would not work as is the case for most on this post.
    I still cannot believe that Capita are putting out new and essential releases on such a short timescale - they really do need to be taken outside and shot! I wonder if the reason they don't bother acting on the grief this causes their customers is that they're confident that the cost involved in moving MIS means that schools will instead just continue to bend over and take it?

It makes we glad we don't have to do the census - I can sit here quite happily running the February release (which I only installed because Capita stopped supporting the August 07 release). I might put the May one on in the summer holidays.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    They can do what they want, they have a monopoly.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have to be honest and say that we don't often have faults.

We haven't had to restore from a botched upgrade in a good 3 years and if we do have a fault it is a single module (usually exams or attendance).

This one is a cracker though ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    Would that be a "Jacob's" one by any chance Tony?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    I still cannot believe that Capita are putting out new and essential releases on such a short timescale - they really do need to be taken outside and shot! I wonder if the reason they don't bother acting on the grief this causes their customers is that they're confident that the cost involved in moving MIS means that schools will instead just continue to bend over and take it?

It makes we glad we don't have to do the census - I can sit here quite happily running the February release (which I only installed because Capita stopped supporting the August 07 release). I might put the May one on in the summer holidays.
    The release was due out earlier but they had to release it later because they needed more time... i mean who's really all that surprised that it came out later given that they have promised so many things to come out in may. Its just annoying that the upgrade was a must for the Census and if it wasnt that so many ppl complaining there wouldnt have been a patch. You would think that they would have worked on the patch first and delayed the Main Upgrade if need be. Did they really think ppl would be happy about being forced to do a Main Upgrade.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast