+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, FMS Cheque printing in Technical; Hello, Since moving SMIS onto a server location the secretary has noticed that the FMS Cheque printing system fails to ...

Thank Post

FMS Cheque printing

Hello,

Since moving SMIS onto a server location the secretary has noticed that the FMS Cheque printing system fails to respond. I don't know anything about this system so am a bit stumped to the support i can give.

I checked the server and it had an error on restart that said the SQLAnywhere had failed.

I have restarted it in the Services and will now check it but to be honest am not very hopeful.

She said it has been problematic a while before the services were moved onto the server though and a restart usually solved the problem.

Thank Post
    Has your FMS been migrated to Microsoft SQL yet? If it hasn't I would suggest getting this done. Otherwise it can be down to the printer drivers, try printing to a pdf (try primopdf) and also make sure the cheque printer is the default printer.

Thank Post
    Do you get your support for FMS from SMIS (based in sandwell)?

Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Has your FMS been migrated to Microsoft SQL yet? If it hasn't I would suggest getting this done. Otherwise it can be down to the printer drivers, try printing to a pdf (try primopdf) and also make sure the cheque printer is the default printer.
    Isnt this a bad idea if you are doing a cheque run i.e. if you print it to pdf, dont you have to spoil the cheque (that is if you cant align the pdf print with the cheque)?
    Last edited by apeo; 24th April 2008 at 02:00 PM.

Thank Post
    You do indeed spoil the cheque unless you can align and print to the cheque afterwards.

I assume our FMS has been migrated over to MSSQL. SIMS certainly has and we did have someone come in to do something with FMS. I assume that this is what was done. The secretary sorts that side out as my Job description is curriculum really.

I only help out where i can for admin side.

We do have SMIS in sandwell but wanted to see if we could resolve in house first. we did call someone though and they suggested to try a different machine which indeed did print the cheque fine. so it would either suggest that their is an issue with FMS on that particular machine or going with what teejay says, the printer drivers on that machine may have a problem

Thank Post
    If your FMS has been migrated it will be version 6.9 or higher. If it has, the SQLAnywhere service is not longer used as it runs on Microsoft SQL Server.

The print to pdf idea is to test if it's a printer driver problem. A lot of the hanging in cheque print runs is caused by the printer drivers.

One other thing it can be if you haven't upgraded to MSSQL yet is the memory cache size in the bde driver being too small. I have instruction somewhere for sorting that, let me know.
    Last edited by teejay; 24th April 2008 at 03:29 PM.

Thank Post
    As teejay says if you are on 6.9 or higher you will be on mssql and it doesnt really matter if sqlanywhere is running or not.

FMS can be funny sometimes.. had an entire cheque run spoil because it did print the cheques but decided not to print the first cheque in the run so all the numbers were out. Oddly enough the report did show that the missing cheque was printed.

@teejay: I realise that printing it to pdf is to diagnose whats going wrong and ultimately find out whats causing the problem but i just dont like the idea the you have to (potentially) waste a cheque.

Thank Post
    We had cheques failing to print on an HP 2550 printer. Each time, FMS locked up but other programs were fine. Changing from the PCL6 driver to post script sorted that one out.

Thank Post
    Generally use 5e over here as we tend to get problems with 6 and ps with some apps.

Thank Post
    we had this problem and it was fixed by removing a comms package - something like Avco or anycomms.

Thank Post
    OK. So a few things to try out. i will se if the secretary would like me to try and resolve the issue.

Thanks for the comments. I may look into them.

Thank Post

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by apeo View Post
    As teejay says if you are on 6.9 or higher you will be on mssql and it doesnt really matter if sqlanywhere is running or not.

FMS can be funny sometimes.. had an entire cheque run spoil because it did print the cheques but decided not to print the first cheque in the run so all the numbers were out. Oddly enough the report did show that the missing cheque was printed.

@teejay: I realise that printing it to pdf is to diagnose whats going wrong and ultimately find out whats causing the problem but i just dont like the idea the you have to (potentially) waste a cheque.

Did you get to the bottom of why it did that? Our bursar is currently trying to do cheque runs but it's missing some out despite showing up as printed on the report. I have tried all the stuff in the capita KB for this and similar problems but to no avail. Nothing out of the ordinary appears to be running on the workstation that *could* conflict.

Granted we are running the old FMS6.85 however still waiting on the bursar to do the pre-migration paperwork before moving onto 6.91. Im told the problem still appears even after the migration/upgrade

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread