+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, Moodle and SMIS in Technical; So has anyone integrated their Moodle to pull data from SMIS? I ask as i have seen a module for ...

Thank Post

Moodle and SMIS

So has anyone integrated their Moodle to pull data from SMIS?

I ask as i have seen a module for Moodle that integrates with CMIS and pulls in the Pupils, Teachers and Parent data from it and imports it into Moodle.

I think it could be interesting to see what others have managed to do with SMIS as i have heard that if you fiddle with the back end DB then you are unsupported by capita.

Is this correct? If so does this extend to also connecting to the back end and extracting data?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    yes, Moodle pulls courses directly from SIMS.
    first we used a script to create AD accounts from SIMS. then we use AD LDAP to marry up SIMS and Moodle.

We don't write back to the database so capita still support us. If we did write back we'd need to get capita to test the system. Apparently they charge 1000 for testing

Thank Post

AD and Moodle

I have tried to authenticate users against the AD LDAP and get a 53 error?

I tried against our OD LDAP and authenticated fine but it doesn't support group membership so could not get it to work.

So you hold your courses in your SIMS DB?

I don't know much about SIMS. How does this work?

Sorry for all the questions but it raised something i did not think of. I was thinking more along the lines of Attendance modules along the right side of screen and online monitoring of progress to assist parents in reviewing their child as he/she goes along with the online learning.

Thank Post
    I started documenting some of this on the wiki, but gave up when I couldn't add images:
    SIMS and Moodle Integration - EduGeek.net Wiki

5. 2 Thanks to CyberNerd:

HodgeHi (22nd April 2008), KarlGoddard (22nd April 2008)

Thank Post
    That sounds cool. I will read this in more detail when i get a chance but looks great so far. You should continue with the wiki if you have time as so far it does look very useful. There doesn't seem to be much info around combining these two apps.

Thank Post
    I've recently been looking at this on a test system. All authentication is with AD over LDAP. Not wanting to anger the boys at Capita I've not been talking directly to SIMS at all. I've created reports to pull the course info out of SIMS and a script to import it into a MySQL Database. Moodle then queries a table or view in this database to populate the course enrolment information. Using scheduled tasks the reports and scripts can be run on a regular (typically nightly) basis. Seems to work but I haven't tried it on a large scale live environment yet.

Thank Post
    Would the script be a generic but easily modifiable type of script that others users could use to do the same things.

I think it would be great to get the Open Source Moodle working together with the Student Systems.

The reason i say this as i am not the best scripter in the world and perhaps indeed in the school i work in (primary one)

I can read them a little and edit simple ones but thats about it.

I know a little of SQL but there are differences that i could not convert between MSSQL and MySQL.

Thank Post
    SIMS supports an IMS service FOC so that you can dynamically maintain Moodle's pupil, course, teachers etc. We can't do the Moodle bit though.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    SIMS supports an IMS service FOC so that you can dynamically maintain Moodle's pupil, course, teachers etc. We can't do the Moodle bit though.

indeed, fancy posting the full documentation.

11. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

KarlGoddard (22nd April 2008)

Thank Post
    I'll track it down.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    Would the script be a generic but easily modifiable type of script that others users could use to do the same things.

I think it would be great to get the Open Source Moodle working together with the Student Systems.

The reason i say this as i am not the best scripter in the world and perhaps indeed in the school i work in (primary one)

I can read them a little and edit simple ones but thats about it.

I know a little of SQL but there are differences that i could not convert between MSSQL and MySQL.

I'll clean up the scripts and post them up when I've got a minute. Would be interested to see any documentation on the IMS service though. I've heard rumours about it before but the support and documentation seems very difficult to get hold of.

Thank Post
    It's resource 507 on SupportNet. If you have difficulty getting to it then email David.Grashoff@Capita.CO.UK who will email it to you by return.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I started documenting some of this on the wiki, but gave up when I couldn't add images:
    SIMS and Moodle Integration - EduGeek.net Wiki
    You should be able to upload images now

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    It's resource 507 on SupportNet. If you have difficulty getting to it then email David.Grashoff@Capita.CO.UK who will email it to you by return.
    I have looked for resource 507 but this doesn't exist on the support.capitaes.co.uk website.

We have also email david grashoff about the documentation and have received incomplete documentation, the reason given was capita is awaiting the becta report.

The documentation has existed at some point, as there are web pages within the zip sent with links to sub folders and documents but these are missing.

Phil can you shed some light on why the documentation is missing? Will it be possible to get the original version to see the process even if it changes because of the becta report on interoperability?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HodgeHi View Post
    I ask as i have seen a module for Moodle that integrates with CMIS and pulls in the Pupils, Teachers and Parent data from it and imports it into Moodle.
    Where? I would be interested in testing such a module.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 23rd April 2008 at 09:22 AM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast