+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS + Terminal Server in Technical; No support for SIMS.net on terminal servers? Next they will say they don't support it on Citrix ... and I ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Blog Entries
    No support for SIMS.net on terminal servers? Next they will say they don't support it on Citrix ... and I know 2 arms of Capita that do the above.

The main issues with supporting it on TS is that the way people lock down TS boxes varies ... and this adds a level of work that they cannot sustain, not when the applications are client / server based the way they are.

If you are using TS then be ready to also have a few other boxes with the client running on for testing and for some staff that are on it permanently (timetabler, attendance staff, etc).

I am more than happy to have a chat about the use of MIS on TS. Drop me a PM and I'll pass on how to contact the school.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by adamf View Post
    Thats interesting that Capita say there is no support for TS. I was speaking to our Project Manager at Capita who told me that he believed that pretty much the whole of oxfordshire are using a TS solution to access SIMS - don't take my word for gospel - thats what he said!
    I saw earlier in the thread that this was mentioned, perhaps He has old information? Is there any chance that you could give me your Project Manager's contact details?

Part of my problem is that I have until now had nothing to do with SIMS.net and I feel that I have been thrown in to the deep end on this. I have used Terminal Servers in industry before I joined the School, so Iím getting frustrated with all of this!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    The main issues with supporting it on TS is that the way people lock down TS boxes varies ... and this adds a level of work that they cannot sustain, not when the applications are client / server based the way they are.

If you are using TS then be ready to also have a few other boxes with the client running on for testing and for some staff that are on it permanently (timetabler, attendance staff, etc).

I am more than happy to have a chat about the use of MIS on TS. Drop me a PM and I'll pass on how to contact the school.
    All our users who need to use SIMS.net permanently are connected directly to the Admin Network. I think our goal is to start allowing Teachers to access SIMS.net to use the assessment modules and report writing modules.

Thank Post
    We are still loking at using SIMS via 2008's RemoteApps.. once we get a decent server for it.
    It works fine on our 2003 TS - even over VPN..
    We'd like to put TC's onto every teachers desktop but the holdup is the SmartBoard problems at present as we are using Debian TC's - theres another post somehwere on this..

The main benefit for SIMS via TS is forcing everyone out when a SIMS update is required.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatt View Post
    We are still loking at using SIMS via 2008's RemoteApps.. once we get a decent server for it.
    It works fine on our 2003 TS - even over VPN..
    We'd like to put TC's onto every teachers desktop but the holdup is the SmartBoard problems at present as we are using Debian TC's - theres another post somehwere on this..

The main benefit for SIMS via TS is forcing everyone out when a SIMS update is required.
    been playing with Server 2008 and SIMS and PARS as remote apps this week, believe it or not I have 2008 running on VMWare on a HP DL380 G4 with 4Gb RAM!
    So far I have SIMS and PARS running as remote apps fine (Although only in a small test enviroment) I can also access the web TS via our cisco Web VPN, although I have some issues with the path as clients do not have access to the internmal DNS

Both SIMS & PARS work well over RDP using either RDP 6 or 6.1 (Vista & XP SP3) users dont like the double login, however i think as a security measure its a small price to pay!

Steve

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345