+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Webparts in Technical; Had a phone call Monday from Capita saying that the webparts will be ready to roll out shortly. I will ...

Thank Post

SIMS Webparts

Had a phone call Monday from Capita saying that the webparts will be ready to roll out shortly. I will be getting a Email shortly with a few questions about our infrastucture. Has anybody recieved a Email from them yet? Just wondering as I have had a few emails go missing. That I know I have been sent (+$%&^$& synetrix migration)

Thank Post
    Do you have a specification of any sort for these webparts?

What are your requirements? ie what will you do with them?

Any idea of the price?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I've got the forms filling them out now.

I can email you the blankform.

Wes

Thank Post
    Can you post a set to me aswell please Wesleyw? We have been promised an email requiring filling in but havent yet received it.

Have you seen the demo or taken part in it the online demo? Kinda worrying, I am hoping thats not the finished version as there seems to be a lot going on! But if it means we dont have to update every single workstation everytime an update comes (only because the kit currently is so old it needs time) then roll on!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah just PM me your email address and I'll send them out!

Wes

6. Thanks to wesleyw from:

shappaeye (18th April 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shappaeye View Post

Have you seen the demo or taken part in it the online demo? Kinda worrying, I am hoping thats not the finished version as there seems to be a lot going on! But if it means we dont have to update every single workstation everytime an update comes (only because the kit currently is so old it needs time) then roll on!
    I spoke to Capita few days ago, the demo version is the old version of webparts. Since December and now they have been working on speed issues etc. I have yet to place order (will be this week) but they seem confident all is resolved.

I think they are putting efforts into the back orders received to date for webparts before updating demo site, shows a fair priority for schools that have placed orders !!!

ben

Thank Post
    benIT
    I spoke to Capita few days ago ... I have yet to place order (will be this week).
    Ben,
    How much are you paying for the web parts?
    Do you have functional spec / link for what you will be paying?
    Where / how do you intend to use web parts??

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by moonwalker View Post
    benIT

Ben,
    How much are you paying for the web parts?
    Do you have functional spec / link for what you will be paying?
    Where / how do you intend to use web parts??
    Moonwalker,

I don't have the figures to hand, but we are getting webparts, along with lesson monitor etc to. I will update here with cost when back in work.

We are looking at using the webparts in the following ways:

1)Timetable lookups for pupils/staff/parents (that said we have our own in house solution, but this was a stop gap to getting sims webparts)

2) using the attendance lookup, for staff/students/parents
    3) Using lesson monitor through webparts
    4) writing reports through profiles in webparts
    5) using attainment / merits / behav data display

This would be alongside our other vle features such as library system, canteen system, room booking, helpdesk, all running through our school VLE.

The webparts from sims are also the main path to provide parents with 24/7 realtime reporting, something we are keen to fufil for our parents.

I found (from using our own developed webparts) looking up timetables etc is quicker than using the sims program itself, therefore you reduce your sims workstation installs and upgrades on teacher that only use sims in basic function.

ben

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by benIT View Post
    Moonwalker,

I don't have the figures to hand, but we are getting webparts, along with lesson monitor etc to. I will update here with cost when back in work.

We are looking at using the webparts in the following ways:

1)Timetable lookups for pupils/staff/parents (that said we have our own in house solution, but this was a stop gap to getting sims webparts)

2) using the attendance lookup, for staff/students/parents
    3) Using lesson monitor through webparts
    4) writing reports through profiles in webparts
    5) using attainment / merits / behav data display

This would be alongside our other vle features such as library system, canteen system, room booking, helpdesk, all running through our school VLE.

The webparts from sims are also the main path to provide parents with 24/7 realtime reporting, something we are keen to fufil for our parents.

I found (from using our own developed webparts) looking up timetables etc is quicker than using the sims program itself, therefore you reduce your sims workstation installs and upgrades on teacher that only use sims in basic function.

ben
    Yep the webparts would be fantastic if they actually worked

Last time I saw them they were unusable slow and cost an absolute fortune.

Thank Post
    Worth looking again as they have been completely re-engineered and are getting good reviews!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    Worth looking again as they have been completely re-engineered and are getting good reviews!
    I agree, Even Capita admitted they were slow in the December time (this was demo site version), since then they have made changes to increase speed. That said i can not comment from direct experience.

This all said, we made some temp webparts to look at pupil timetable, and this worked quicker than SIMS itself, so in theory its possible, just a case of Capita getting it sorted - By the sounds of it they have.

I think Capita stand to make so much money from it, that they could get M$'s Bill on the case now he has stepped hown . Also now MOSS2007 has been out for a while it must be easier

We will have to wait and see!!!

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    Thats great news

Do you have any idea if the licensing has changed? We just want some web parts to look at and enter data, not an entirely new VLE solution as was proposed originally.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ittech View Post
    Thats great news

Do you have any idea if the licensing has changed? We just want some web parts to look at and enter data, not an entirely new VLE solution as was proposed originally.
    @ITTech

Catch 22 question that one!! The way SIMS links usernames to Admission numbers (to ensure displaying correct details) relies on a other parts of the VLE solution, therefore you can not just get the webparts (around 800) You also need ther other parts!!!

The rough one off cost (even if you have your VLE in place, Moss 2007) is between 4-6k. Its huge money for whats received, but it really links the school into the VLE and with parents etc - A cost I was prepared to cover to my vission of 24/7 learning access.

NB: Dont forget the Maint costs per year also !! -

Thank Post
    Hi can some one explain the differences between captias interfaces the webparts, IMS and the VLE Exporter web service?

Thank Post
    IMS is a web service that can be called by a number of VLEs. It can keep the VLE up to date with pupil, class and teacher info.

The exporter offers access to a much wider range of data and puts the info into a file for another application to pick up. It can be run as a command line.
    Last edited by PhilNeal; 30th April 2008 at 12:08 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast