+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
MIS Systems Thread, Serco's Facility in Technical; I am new to serco cmis facility and have worked on sims.net for five years but am supposed to take ...
    Thank Post
    I am new to serco cmis facility and have worked on sims.net for five years but am supposed to take on this new role from next week in a secondary school in london that involves EXAM/DATA management. m confused and don't know what to expect or do as my first day will be on the day of the exam. I hve no handover period at all and serco is nt being helpful. can someone provide me with some related manuals for these modules?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    How do you mean Serco are not being helpful? All the manuals, training guides etc are all available in the FirstLine Website, which all Serco Schools have access to via registered accounts. Once you start at the school they can get you setup to access this area and you can download the course for Exams, they have a couple of ones for Exams users, but tbh the exams module is very simple to use, even I can use it and I'm not an exams guru at all and haven't done any of the courses.

Thank Post
    Well my problem is that I might not have the time to read through these manuals when i join on the gcse maths exam day when more than 500 students will be taking it and the inspector will be behind my back plus the school is expecting an Ofsted that week. More than exams it is the data management part I am worried about as I have never done it on CMIS before. I can do it on excel but the school wants it done on CMIS. I spoke to SERCO about my situation but they want me to join the school and then contact them for support which I might not be in my best interest.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Your issue sounds like its with the school and your given role. They have appointed you as a Serco expert yet have no experience by what you are saying. The school cannot expect you to pickup the MIS from scratch, they expect you to know the principals of the role though, these are no different in Serco than in SIMS or RM Integris.

All the exams work for the exam will be done and if yours starting on the day of an exam I can very much assure you all the MIS work will be long gone by that point!You need to focus on papers on desks, bums on seats and packing the papers up for Parcelforce to collect.

The inspector turns up unannounced so how do you know you will have one for exams? If we knew that they were coming we could plan it and have coffee and biscuits and be even more organised!

You will still use excel to do parts of your analysis as well as Facility so really you are worrying over nothing.

If they have not arranged you to have training or a hand-over that is not your problem really, its like chucking me in a school entirly Mac or Linux based, I'd be lost! I know the conecepts but couldn't do what I do now on them, or like chucking me in a SIMS school and saying there you go enjoy the MIS, run it, support it, train staff, install it etc.... I'd have ideas but no ideas on how to do it with SIMS.

The school could have arranged access earlier to the support site, that is for the school to do (I arrange my new staff to gain access when I know who they are) as the support site allows access to licences downloads, support desk etc all of which is why they won't talk to you until your setup and they know who you work for etc... That would imply poor planning by the school your going to work to especially without the handover.

5. Thanks to john from:

michael2k6 (3rd April 2011)

Thank Post
    Hi there,
    The reason we can't set you up as a user before hand are down to the issues John speaks of. The only way you can be registered as a user is for a current user at the school to set you up, so we know who you are and who you work for, etc.
    If you have concerns over your start date and your ability to do the job and meet high level of requirements on that day you need to take it up with the school and suggest how they might help you best prepare.

Mic @ Serco

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234