+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
MIS Systems Thread, Nova T6 or Keith Johnson's Timetabler??? in Technical; No need to apologise David. At my age it would be stupid to get upset about a simple misunderstanding on ...
    Thank Post
    No need to apologise David.
    At my age it would be stupid to get upset about a simple misunderstanding on forums such as this.
    I just wanted you to know the true history and nature of my position.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidHayton View Post
    ...Timetabling isn't an admin task, it is an intellectual activity that involves finding the best solution to a huge number of simultaneous equations...
    What I suspect is happening is that you and I are coming to timetabling from different perspectives. Judging by your use of jargon, you are coming from an admin/IT side (apologies if I have misjudged this)
    ...too many people who just assume Nova is best, without ever looking at what else is available. I think that they owe it to the teachers and children in their school to find the best software
    I may well be being hyper-sensitive here but it is comments like the above which belie the mentality of many a member of teaching staff, especially in their attitudes towards and of support staff. Look at that first quote, how dismissive of "admin" can you be? If timetabling isn't an administrative task, I don't know what it is.

I have worked for 5 years as a Network Manager and in that time I have always, always done what is best for the children of our school. As has every other member of 'admin/IT' staff on this board. That's why we are here - helping each other by combining our knowledge and experience so that we can do the best job in tough circumstances with very constrained budgets.

If you see some of the other MIS threads you will see Capita are rightly castigated for some of their software. If EduGeek members are favouring a particular piece of software/manufacturer you can trust that many options will have been considered and a consensus view usually becomes apparent. People aren't championing NovaT6 because they couldn't be bothered to check out other options.

Like I say, I'm probably being overly-sensitive. I have been thinking about your posts since I read some of them yesterday, followed by some of your replies today. I just wanted to get it off my chest.
    Last edited by mortstar; 3rd November 2009 at 09:41 PM.

Thank Post
    Mortstar, 'fraid I have to disagree with you about the SIMS Software despite your support for School Support Staff.
    SIMS is an excellent software suite.
    It is because of opinions such as yours that I decided to start contributing to these Forums - after reading some very biased and inaccurate comments about the software. I am afraid that such negative and untrue comments may well contribute to others having a lower opinion of School Support Staff than they ought to have.
    There are some very knowledgeable people on here but I am afraid there are a considerable number who obviously do not really undesrstand how SIMS can be used effectively. Those that do castigate the software should start to read SupportNet more - where there are considerably more expert users!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 3rd November 2009 at 10:05 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    Mortstar, 'fraid I have to disagree with you about the SIMS Software despite your support for School Support Staff.
    SIMS is an excellent software suite.
    It is because of opinions such as yours that I decided to start contributing to these Forums - after reading some very biased and inaccurate comments about the software. I am afraid that such negative and untrue comments may well contribute to others having a lower opinion of School Support Staff than they ought to have.
    There are some very knowlegdable people on here but I am afraid there are a considerable number who obviously do not really undesrstand how SIMS can be used effectively. Those that do castigate the software should start to read SupportNet more - where there are considerably more expert users!
    Just to clarify - I do not mean the whole of SIMS, I mean certain modules/auxiliary software. SLG for example.

Thank Post
    SLG is an evolving system and getting better with each upgrade. It has been well accepted here by both staff and parents.
    So again, I am afraid that I disagree!
    In fact I cannot think of any part of SIMS that anyone could justifiably castigate!
    Yes, System7 and Examinations7 are long overdue - but they are being held back by movement within the Examination structures nationally. Something beyond Capita's control!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 3rd November 2009 at 10:13 PM.

Thank Post
    Mortstar,
    I am sorry if I have given you the impression that I am in any way dismissive of support staff in schools. Thank you for getting the issue of your chest. I suspect that there have been other support staff watching my debate with Sivadam over the past few days so it is helpful for me to put the record straight here and apologise if, within my postings, I have given a bad impression.

However, I do suspect that my perspective on timetabling is different to yours:

Quote Originally Posted by mortstar View Post
    If timetabling isn't an administrative task, I don't know what it is.
    I don't think that it is an admin task. I'm not trying to make any comment about the value of individuals working within a school, I'm simply making an observation. I agree with Mervyn Wakefield on this point so rather than waffle on, I'll attach the relevant link to his website:

http://www.mervynwakefield.co.uk/doc...abling_001.pdf

David
    Last edited by DavidHayton; 3rd November 2009 at 10:28 PM.

Thank Post
    I wonder how any of you would categorise me then ..............
    ......... after 42 years of varying roles within a school and somebody who has designed and delivered the timetable every year for nearly 30 years!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 3rd November 2009 at 10:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sivadam View Post
    I wonder how any of you would categorise me then ..............
    ......... after 42 years of varying roles within a school and somebody who has designed and delivered the timetable every year for nearly 30 years!
    Sadist

Thank Post
    ..... or should that be masochist?

Or maybe I should no longer be timetabling being as I am now employed as a member of the Support Staff.
    I wonder how my current head (the most recent of many that I have supported over the years) would react to that ........

Anway - it's time for goodbye to this thread for me!
    Last edited by Sivadam; 3rd November 2009 at 10:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,158 Posts

Exclamation

I've read the debate with interest and found some parts really useful. You often learn more about a product by someone pointing out things it can't do, than by reading the feature list and hearing what it can do. And before anyone says, 'some people think it can't do this, but they don't know / haven't read the manual' - i'm generalising.

Let's get . There's no need to continue discussing who we are and what we do; that's not helping the original poster.

Are there any other advantages or disadvantages of either products not listed here yet?

One of the things i was interested in was combing charts. Can NovaT6 do them, it was a feature in T4 I believe.

Little things like this may help someone out there make up their own mind as to which software they prefer based on how they like to work.

Thank Post

Thumbs up In praise of Keith Johnson

As a timetabler of many years I have always used the Keith Johnson timetabling package. I find it extremely user friendly and the level of support is exceptional. As a school we use the SIMS package for all our admin and I have experienced only some minor difficulties in exporting from the Johnson package to SIMS. Currently we are still transferring to NOVA T4(for the cover module) which we then send to NOVA T6 and then into SIMS.net, a process which only takes a couple of minutes. Our plan next year is to transfer direct to SIMS.net a process I see no problems with.

12. Thanks to wilmslow from:

Keith-Johnson (2nd May 2010)

Thank Post

Question a novice

Having had training on Nova T6 and with help from other timetablers, I produced my first timetable ahead of schedule (with only a couple of errors).

Although it has been better than ones in previous years (I've not had any complaints and some staff have even thanked me for their timetables-if only they knew that I didn't get down to the level of checking individual staff timetables), it still continues to give me split classes which is something I would like to reduce next year.

I would like to consider other software, which may help provide the optimum timetable, hence why I have been interested to read comparisons of Timetabler vs Nova T6.

Does anyone know if there is any way of trialling timetabler?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by warriorprincess View Post
    I would like to consider other software, which may help provide the optimum timetable, hence why I have been interested to read comparisons of Timetabler vs Nova T6.

Does anyone know if there is any way of trialling timetabler?
    Hi WarriorPrincess,
    Congratulations on your timetable! Great to hear that you are hearing such positive comments about it.

If you are interested in trialling Timetabler, you can get a free download from their website: www.timetabler.com

If you get stuck, send them an email: support@timetabler.com. In fact, send them an email anyway - their support line is superb.

David Hayton
    King Henry VIII School, Coventry

15. Thanks to DavidHayton from:

warriorprincess (22nd November 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123