+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, Backing up SIMS.net in Technical; @apeo: You should be OK as long as the Master database is backed up also... I cannot see why the ...

Thank Post
    @apeo: You should be OK as long as the Master database is backed up also... I cannot see why the passwords would be reset because it is simply a dump of your data.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by superfletch View Post
    This gives you an extra option on DBAttach to restore a previously backed up database and this uses the SIMS.bak file but also reads from the master.bak file (don't ask me how it just works).

Not had a problem with losing passwords since I've been restoring via DBAttach /RESTOREUI.
    Are you talking about the .bak file found in a zip file created by DBAttach?

@Ric_: Course.. duh.. im just being 'special' again.

Thank Post
    BTW heres what capita has to say on the subject:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    Hope this clarifies a bit...

I haven't got one in front of me to check exactly what happens, but using DBAttach to Backup does backup the master pair as well as the sims pair.

I think it then bunches them all together in a BAK file when it finishes, but it might not. So having said that when you do your DBAttach Backup, watch the MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Backup folder and keep pressing F5 (refresh) to see what it is doing.

If the files are bundled separately just make sure they are in the same directory when you restore them.

As long as you restore from the one you backed up in DBAttach you should be ok.

DBAttach /RESTORUI doesn't seem to like restoring from Extrenal (USB) hard disks or mapped drives in my experience...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by superfletch View Post
    Hope this clarifies a bit...

I haven't got one in front of me to check exactly what happens, but using DBAttach to Backup does backup the master pair as well as the sims pair.

I think it then bunches them all together in a BAK file when it finishes, but it might not. So having said that when you do your DBAttach Backup, watch the MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Backup folder and keep pressing F5 (refresh) to see what it is doing.

If the files are bundled separately just make sure they are in the same directory when you restore them.

As long as you restore from the one you backed up in DBAttach you should be ok.

DBAttach /RESTORUI doesn't seem to like restoring from Extrenal (USB) hard disks or mapped drives in my experience...
    What i figured it did, which i why i thought using a Maintenance Plan would mean user passwords are reset but naturally you would backup master too as part of the plan. Was just being dense and thinking sims was the only thing being backed up as part of the plan.

Thank Post
    Just for info as no one has posted on this thread for a while, found this on support net this morning,

looks like the files get bundled separately.

You then use DBattach /RESTOREUI to pick up the databasename.bak file and it also draws info from the master.bak for logins....

KB23426 - How to backup a Database

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Created 15/04/2004
    Last Updated 08/08/2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Affected Products SIMS .net System Maintenance & Utilities

Notes How to backup a Database

Backing up a Database

Additional Notes
    ADDITIONAL NOTES
    This will create three backups:
    1. master.bak
    2. msdb.bak
    3. <databasename>.bak

Advice 1. Run Dbattach.exe
    For instructions please see solution KB23423 or alternatively, if using Web Support click here.

2. Select the database you wish to backup, by clicking on the down arrow next to the Database Name field in the Backup a Database panel.

3. Click on the Backup button to start the backup process.

A status message at the bottom of the dialog will be displayed when the database
    has been backed up.

7. Thanks to superfletch from:

enjay (3rd April 2008)

Thank Post
    Get yourself an Iomega REV drive. You can plug it in via USB and it treat's it like a memory stick which makes the backups faster than normal tape drives.

Also, if using SIMS make sure that you extract the SQL data (there should be a shortcut on the desktop!). We found out that our office manager (they were doing the backups (don't know why!)) wasn't extracting the data and they weren't really doing much of a backup because of it!

Thank Post
    Our SIMS Administrator routinely uses System Manager to take backups of our SIMS.net data after she has made major changes to the system or has input loads of user data.

Last Friday we discovered a problem with these backups while uploading one to our LA support team to investigate a problem. When we try to unzip the ZIP file it fails. I have tried the latest version of WinRAR without success, it reports unexpected end of archive.

Any ideas?

Is there any way I 'disable' the ZIP process temporarily until I got to the bottom of this?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12