+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, CMIS to SIMS in Technical; I've just been told that we are embarking on the trip from CMIS back to SIMS - anyone else done ...

Thank Post

CMIS to SIMS

I've just been told that we are embarking on the trip from CMIS back to SIMS - anyone else done it and have any useful tips/warning stories?

You can PM me if they are too painful to share in public

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts
    I know it's possible migrating from SIMS to CMIS, as schools in Birmingham use both systems. I've never known anyone moving back to SIMS.NET from CMIS however!

In theory it should be possible. Have you spoken to your Local Authority or Capita regarding this? Google doesn't seem to come up with anything useful.

Thank Post
    SpuffMonkey, you are far from being on your own. Please feel free to contact me directly should you want to discuss anything.

Thank Post
    Hi SpuffMonkey

We are a SIMS.net school but the deputy head liked the look of SERCO at BETT - he thought it was much more user friendly, all the information at the touch of a button etc etc. I have talked him out of it as its not worth the hassle.

For what reasons are you moving away from CMIS back to SIMS?

Thanks

Thank Post
    We haven't done it but a neighbouring school to us has. The Lakes School in Windermere it was. I'm sure the guys there wouldn't mind you calling them - I think it all went ok.

Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    I've just been told that we are embarking on the trip from CMIS back to SIMS - anyone else done it and have any useful tips/warning stories?

You can PM me if they are too painful to share in public

Thank Post
    Hello,

I've just been through a CMIS > SIMS Transfer in the last few weeks. I've got a few points

1) Don't expect it to go smoothly though that said there hasn't been a large scale issue. Make sure SLT are aware of the implications.
    2) Speak to Capita - they have a department dedicated to returning schools
    3) It maybe worth buying in their project management service in - we didn't and I think in hindsight it may have been worthwhile.
    4) Be careful on the data transfer - not everything comes across. We had to have 3 databases sent to us before the attendance data was correct. Look out for other bits and pieces regarding Meals, Board Status and such sort - ours wasn't filled in but a CTF Import of the relevant data sorted it fine. Contact information is an issue to look at. CMIS only exports contacts in a student's CTF File if they have parental responsibility - meaning most of our contacts didn't come across. What I'm working on is a script that will be allow me to create a CTF myself with the data (created using a list report) as SIMS allows any contact to be imported.
    5) Timetable for this year will have to be done manually if you are moving before September. This will take some time to get sorted - far more time than the Capita said it would take - just one day!
    6) There will be some functional differences naturally. One is the generation (not creation) of reports. In CMIS one good thing was how the items (i.e. students) are added to one page and then you can quickly filter/remove/add additional students. This can't be easily done in SIMS. What we are doing in the meantime is picking up a group (for example form) and then having to select all the ones we don't want to keep and then are left with the ones we want to use - rather then simply clicking the ones we only wanted to generate reports for. Also the student/staff homepage can't be easily customised - literally add fields.
    7) There's plenty of useful features - Lesson Monitor for SIMS is great, as will be EMA, the sharepoint Webparts and also the Assessment suite as well.
    8) You will need to spend a little more time on supporting the program on clients than eportal/CMIS Admin (as for us it ran off one server). On Edugeek there's a script for installing on computer startup if it isn't already installed somewhere in the forums that's useful. I've also modified computer security a little to allow SIMS to auto-update itself.
    9) Capita's supportnet site is ever so useful as well.

With that in mind without a doubt it's the best thing we've done. Staff I think have picked it up and are using it well. Next half-term (once I've had a break from it this Easter) we can start using new features - such a electronic behaviour management,

Thanks,

Rob

7. Thanks to robknowles from:

SpuffMonkey (25th March 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robknowles View Post
    Hello,
    we can start using new features - such a electronic behaviour management,
    I want to do that too, with a cattle prod.

Thank Post
    Hi new to this forum, I am being pushed to switch from CMIS, which is working reasonably well with few major problems, to SIMS because the guy in charge reckons it is 'better'. It may well be better but it is going to cost a lot of money and does not seem to be that much better. Can anyone convince me this is worthwhile? My inclination is to oppose this move.

Thank Post
    I know of some schools that moved to CMIS and then switched back - "better the devil you know" springs to mind - but in all seriousness Sims.net is far better than it was five years ago when some schools decided to take the plunge!!

I do believe Sims.net has its advantages over CMIS... but some may disagree!

11. Thanks to kiran from:

dolphin (11th November 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    Hi new to this forum, I am being pushed to switch from CMIS, which is working reasonably well with few major problems, to SIMS because the guy in charge reckons it is 'better'. It may well be better but it is going to cost a lot of money and does not seem to be that much better. Can anyone convince me this is worthwhile? My inclination is to oppose this move.
    Fortunately the powers that be have reconsidered the move back for us.

Practically, you need to ask why its better, and then address any issues that come up. Usually its better because someone knows how to use SIMS and is not keen on retraining - not a great use of 40k or so

Thank Post
    I stand by my previous opinon...

All Management Information Systems wont do exactly everything you want in the way you want it, will cost far more than you ever imagined to implement. Oh, and just as you've finished the three year rollercoaster ride that is implementing one system or another, some smart alec'll wonder in and say 'have we consider changing to ....'.

Kyle

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread