+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Automatically reconnect to SIMS in Technical; Hi All! I am after a bit of advice. We map a drive to our simsarea in the staff logon ...
    Thank Post

Automatically reconnect to SIMS

Hi All!
    I am after a bit of advice.
    We map a drive to our simsarea in the staff logon script. When they log on, they can access SIMS fine.
    If they disconnect from the network [i.e to move between classroms etc ], they need to log on again to re-establish the connection.
    Is there any way that I could script it to automatically reconnect when the drive becomes available again? [to save them from logging off and back on again]
    Cheers,
    GlennT

Thank Post
    Don't know about doing it automatically, but you could give them an icon which deletes and then reconnects their mapped drives using the same convention as is set out in your logon script. Or give them a shortcut to the logon script itself?

Explain to them why the problem occurs and that you've invented a clever way around it...:-)

Thank Post
    Can anyone explain why we still need the drive mapping to use SIMS? Is this a hangover from the old days? I would have thought it would be much better and cleaner to just get the SIMS client to connect to the SQL instance on your SIMS server At least then drive mapping issues would be a thing of the past!

Thank Post
    @GlennT
    Is this KB article any use: Mapped Drive Connection to Network Share May Be Lost ?

PEO
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TeddyKGB View Post
    Can anyone explain why we still need the drive mapping to use SIMS? Is this a hangover from the old days? I would have thought it would be much better and cleaner to just get the SIMS client to connect to the SQL instance on your SIMS server At least then drive mapping issues would be a thing of the past!
    we had SIMS setup other the summer and drive mapping is used also.... is this old way of doing sims setup?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TeddyKGB View Post
    For the most part the client does make RPC calls to the SQL instance. Access is still needed to the SIMS share to check for updates.
    Also Nova-T, which our staff use quite a lot, still requires a mapped drive for its files.

Thank Post
    Nova T, and I suppose the setups folder resides on the mapped drive for upgrades although this could probably be pointed to via UNC in the SIMS .ini file.

Some schools store all the Exam organiser and CTF In/Out data on the mapped drives too.

If you've got a machine to test on and you don't need Nova/Exams for a lot of users then you could try it without the mapped drive by installing SIMS from SIMSInst.exe (in setups) via UNC and see how it works?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,206 Posts
    I still map the Sims drive through a logon script. Is it, or would it be possible to use a UNC path? \\servername\sharename

Thank Post
    Try this in the [Setup] part of your SIMS .ini file ON A TEST PC, I've never tried it but it might work.

I can't stress enough that I HAVEN'T TRIED IT, so not sure if it will work especially with Nova...

[Setup]
    SIMSSetupsDirectory=\\servername\sharename\sims\se tups
    SIMSDotNetDirectory=<LOCALDRIVE>:\Program Files\SIMS\SIMS .net
    SIMSDirectory=\\servername\sharename\sims
    FinanceDirectory=<LOCALDRIVE>:\Program Files\SIMS\Finance

OfflineSQLAppsDirectory=D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$SIMS\Binn

SIMSSQLAppsDirectory=<SQL Server's Local Drive>:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL$SIMS\Binn
    Folder=SIMS Applications
    WorkStation=5.28
    NeedIcons=FALSE
    CP4SetupCommandShort=<Servers Local Drive>\Sharename\SIMS_S~1\Setups\SIMSInst.exe
    SIMS Directory=\\servername\sharename\sims
    NovaSatellite=<LOCALDRIVE>:\Program Files\SIMS\SATS

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread