+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS FMS Manager upgrade in Technical; The instructions we have been given are instructing us to install MS SQL Express for the Finance system on our ...

Thank Post

SIMS FMS Manager upgrade

The instructions we have been given are instructing us to install MS SQL Express for the Finance system on our SIMS Server. We have already installed SQL Server 2005 for the SIMS database so would like to minimise our management and processing overheads by installing SIMS finance onto a SQL server 2005 database, not an SQL Express database.

Is anyone else doing this?

Does anyone know if SIMS Finance will know the difference between its data stored on SQL Express or accessed vie SQL Server.

Our support says that we shoudl use express but we believe that is because thats what is says in their instructions rather than that is what is best practice.

Any comments?

ChrisJ

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 812 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We've installed it on full 2005 no worries.

only problem we had was having to reboot the server before running the actual conversion, because dbattach had left a session open (which caused the coversion to fail....le sigh)

Apart from that, not a problem - running nicely now.

I suspect its just your support team assuming everyone's using express

Thank Post
    It should be fine. I'm using the full version for sims and just attached fms as a separate DB to it when asked.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 1,190 Posts
    but surely if your support team can't support you, then they are just a team.
    even that is unlikely!

is this fms upgrade optional, i've not been told about it officially, only what i've heard through forums. it sounds like a good idea to get it onto sql.

my only problem is that we currently have a standalone installation for the sixth form consortium and it has to be kept segragated, though i'm hoping with sql that will be resolved.

Thank Post
    If you have 2 "companies" in FMS, one for the 6th form consortium and one for everything else, and you pick the relevant one using FMS database selector or by running a different FMS shortcut, then no - the FMS upgrade won't change that. It will move each database over to SQL individually.

The FMS upgrade will eventually become necessary I think as:

a) Capita stop supporting older versions including all the pre-SQL Server versions (i.e. 6.85 and older)

b) Your finance department can't keep up with new legislation, such as the Consistent Financial Reporting standards which are now with us. The old FMS versions will never have those features added AFAIK.

Thank Post
    We've been told its mandatory before 14th March so that the new functionaility in the new client will work will allow them to do the correct "returns".

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnsonuk View Post
    We've been told its mandatory before 14th March so that the new functionaility in the new client will work will allow them to do the correct "returns".
    Could you expand a bit on that? As my day might start to get interesting .

Thank Post
    Domino

I would have assumed the same, that they thought everyone was using express, if it wasn't fo the fact that last november they had a project to move everyone on SIMS to full sql 2005 so that the latest client for attendance/assessment etc would work.

Chris

Thank Post
    Pete

All I've got is that its required to allow the finance team (LEA) to submit the year end returns to the DCFS.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 812 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm, tis strange then....a typo maybe? have you asked them?

Personally, as I say, We're full SQL 2005, as are most surrounding schools, and we've all done the FMS migration, without many issues.

Supportnet should have the requirements on it somewhere....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 1,190 Posts
    okay so today i find out that we don't need to migrate to sql until i august/september 2008, and it's up to local support to sort that out.

however, in the mean time, we have to have a new set of codes or something altered on our system by the end of march, before we can do anything for the new financial year. this again is in the hands of local support and yet i have heard nothing, though it is supposed to come parceled with the february upgrade, which has yet to be released to us.

i'm assuming the feb upgrade is still being tested....

as for the multiple instance issue:
    Quote Originally Posted by sahmeepee View Post
    If you have 2 "companies" in FMS, one for the 6th form consortium and one for everything else, and you pick the relevant one using FMS database selector or by running a different FMS shortcut, then no - the FMS upgrade won't change that. It will move each database over to SQL individually.
    i was told that we couldn't have two fms databases on the same network, let alone the same server. i had to install a standalone copy on a desktop pc for that purpose. i'm not even supposed to connect it to the network on the off chance the data on the main school finance gets corrupted by the sixth form. i never truly believed it, but what choice do i have.

hopefully i can migrate the standalone and then not need to manually backup and upgrade that system!
    Last edited by vikpaw; 5th March 2008 at 06:04 PM.

Thank Post
    We've had the feb FMS released to us and have applied it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread