+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Crashes PC's in Technical; We've had some problems with SIMS memory usage going skyward in the last few days, but we're taking part in ...
    Thank Post
    We've had some problems with SIMS memory usage going skyward in the last few days, but we're taking part in a trial/beta and it's that module which is the culprit in this case.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    I also read under a different thread saying:

The answer is very simple:
    The time has come to change to all-browser MIS.

In the US every major MIS software is all-browser based and it has been so since early 2000s!

In the UK schools were left behind the times in 'DOS world' for five years and now lets hope that schools will not be kept behind with WINDOWS rather moving forward with BROWSER for the next five years!!!

There must be such a waste going on in schools that makes you wonder - as so well put by:
    I think a browser based system MIS would compliment windows based solutions.

I personally prefer using the SIMS.net client for a variety different reasons and I am sure that some staff will agree. Indeed there is the SIMS.net learning gateway webparts if you wish to go down the browser based route. All I am saying is that SIMS.net has got *alot* better over the last few years in a software industry which is constanly evolving and trying to keep up with changing user requirements which we all know is so difficult = that it is why so many software projects fail!
    Last edited by kiran; 22nd February 2008 at 05:25 PM.

Thank Post
    As much as I complain about sims .net at the moment it is still probably the best option on the market, Capita just need a kick up the a@s# every now and then.

Thank Post

change to all-browser MIS.

Dean: "As much as I complain about sims .net at the moment it is still probably the best option on the market, Capita just need a kick up the a@s# every now and then."
    You misundersood the point. This is not about Capita vs XYZ company.

This is all about "All-browser zero client" vs "Thick WINDOWS Client" argument.

To put it another way it is Microsoft vs GOOGLE argument - and do I need to tell you who is worried!!!

Hence as I stated:
    The time has come to change to all-browser MIS.

In the US every major MIS software is all-browser based and it has been so since early 2000s!

In the UK as a matter of fact it was Capita who left the vast majority of the schools behind the times with 'DOS database engine(Clipper)' for five years and now lets hope that schools will not be kept behind with WINDOWS rather moving forward with BROWSER for the next five years!!!

Unless the schools get wiser and demand so - they will not get any better offering!

In fact in Scotland LAs are already demanding "all browser" MIS for their schools.
    Last edited by Tiger; 22nd February 2008 at 09:52 PM. Reason: typo

Thank Post
    Strange that Apple have not gone for a browser approach with iTunes. Could it be that browsers are a tool to be used in the right circumstances rather than "more advanced"? I've tried Google WP/Spreadsheet and would not use on a regular basis but I was impressed that it managed so well in a browser.

I often ask people that are experiencing difficulties with SIMS to drop me an email, a few do and we will help sort out the issue.

SupportNet does not require you to know KBs - you can free text search our solution database.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    I'd have to disagree there,
    Well it looks like i spoke too soon! The SIMS update has broke NovaT. All of the class lists have been jumbled up (again, happens quite often) so now one of the office staff have the fun task of putting 1200+ students back into the correct class

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 758 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post

SupportNet does not require you to know KBs - you can free text search our solution database.
    We know that Phil, the comment was a build on what a few people had said, which was that search functions just not that good.

Indexing seems random, search terms are far from fully covered, and tagging (if there is any) is woefully inadequate.

Thank Post

It is offical from horse's mouth

PhilNeal: "Strange that Apple have not gone for a browser approach with iTunes. Could it be that browsers are a tool to be used in the right circumstances rather than "more advanced"? I've tried Google WP/Spreadsheet and would not use on a regular basis but I was impressed that it managed so well in a browser."
    iTunes is a consumer application, each user making a personal choice on the burden of installing and/or updating the application. This bears no comparision to overheads inflicted onto schools Network Managers to cope with over 100 workstation installation for 'thick client application' every month/update. In the US with free market, all leading software providers have moved to all-browser MIS.

But in the UK - it is now offical from horses mouth - UK schools will be condemned to another time warp for the next 5-10 years with SIMS outdated 'thick client' technology/era.

Unless schools network managers wake up and look out and demand for alternatives - all browser MIS which will have 'zero client' installation overheads.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12