+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Sims Workstation Inst Error in Technical; Anyone seen this error before and found a solution? Happens when trying to install Sims.NET on the workstations. All the ...

Thank Post

Sims Workstation Inst Error

Anyone seen this error before and found a solution? Happens when trying to install Sims.NET on the workstations. All the settings are correct and I'm trying as the domain admin so permissions arn't at fault.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    last time I had that problem it was down to permissions, capita's support site has a few other suggestions tho..

The following is from capita's support website:

KB33482 - Errors SIMS installer was unable to write to the SIMS application shared directory supplied as S:\SIMS. Do you which to correct this directory
    Created 15/04/2005
    Last Updated 02/11/2007

Affected Products SIMS .net Installation & Upgrade
    Notes

Errors SIMS installer was unable to write to the SIMS application shared directory supplied as S:\SIMS. Do you which to correct this directory.

Advice
    1. Replace the SIMSINST.EXE file with a known good one (ensuring it is the correct version for your system).

2. Make sure the User running SIMSINST.EXE has full control of the SIMS Shared folder i.e. have full control to S:\SIMS

3. Make sure SIMSINST.EXE is being run from e.g. S:\SIMS\SETUPS

4. Check the contents of the SIMS.INI - make sure the following lines are correct:-
    SIMSDirectory=s:\sims
    SIMSSetupsDirectory=S:\SIMS\Setups

Thank Post
    Not wishing to sound pedantic, but can you browse to I:\SIMS (I'd guess so if you were able to run the installer but ....)

Thank Post
    Browsing the folder is no problem.

I've just checked the SIMS folder and the sub folder + files and all permissions are set to full for the admin.

Thank Post
    FIXED.

I remembered that I'd had this problem before, went through my folder of documents with known issues and found the problem.

In the sims directory during an update a folder is created with a string of numbers (a CLSID or something at a guess) and if that folder doesn't get deleted by the update then it it causes this error. Simply deleting the folder fixes the problem.

If anyone has this problem I still suggest that you check with your LEA Support or Capita support before deleting anything in the Sims folder. I don't want to be responsible for a string of dead sims installations around the Uk.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dan400007 View Post
    Browsing the folder is no problem.

I've just checked the SIMS folder and the sub folder + files and all permissions are set to full for the admin.
    I might be wrong, but doesn't the EVERYONE group need full control of the SIMS folder?
    Last edited by Ravening_Wolf; 5th February 2008 at 01:41 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravening_Wolf View Post
    I might be worng, but doesn't the EVERYONE group need full control of the SIMS folder?
    Not the everyone group itself, you can use something like a sims group instead and add the relevant people to that, although these days I don't thinks there's all that much thats written to it, mostly when patching the client and nova.

Edit: I would never use the "Everyone" group for *any* permissions anywhere!

Thank Post
    Currently all member of the teaching staff are given Read Only access to the Sims folder on the network and then modify rights to the Sims.NET folder on the local machine.

Is currently running ok for Lesson Registration, Mark Sheet entry and Reporting.

As for the EVERYONE group I never use it for any permissions.

Thank Post
    *Realises his stupid mistake and hurriedly modifies permissions accordingly*

That will teach me to listen to hearsay advice from the "I used to be a computer technician years ago" crowd here

Thank Post
    When we were installing SIMS to a client PC from our test server, we found that the installer complained like mad about not having modify or better on various folders on the server (under X:\sims\). We tried granting bits and pieces, but ultimately it needed pretty much the whole lot.

Normally we would be running the installer as a user with domain admin rights anyway, but it's a little puzzling that it demands write access to locations it's reading from.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sahmeepee View Post
    When we were installing SIMS to a client PC from our test server, we found that the installer complained like mad about not having modify or better on various folders on the server (under X:\sims\). We tried granting bits and pieces, but ultimately it needed pretty much the whole lot.

Normally we would be running the installer as a user with domain admin rights anyway, but it's a little puzzling that it demands write access to locations it's reading from.
    dan400007 - You're a life saver!

.ICT could'nt fix this problem that we had for almost 2 yrs now! I've had to use the custom installers compiled from this forum with a few tweaks along the way after some upgrades.

I just deleted a folder with a long string of numbers from the sims root and it worked instantly!

I got the finger pointed at me saying its because I installed IE7 policy template so we could centerally manage new settings. Those policies didnt even apply to the servers a ) as they are still running IE6 b ) not within the OU the policy has been applied to.

Honestly, .ICT took away copies of our sims dir and couldnt replicate the fault.

Woo im sooo happy!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread