+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Fresh install of Sims on Server 2003 in Technical; ...

Thank Post

Red face Fresh install of Sims on Server 2003

Hi don't mean to sound stupid! I want to install sims .net and FMS on our newly bought school server, due to the fact the old server is well ...... OLD. How would I go about setting it up, am I right to thinking that I can just copy the whole F: Drive (which is where Sims is Installed) to the F: Drive on the new Server. I am saying this as I can't get hold of a CD from Capita (TIGHT). I'm (TIGHT) too as I don't want to pay for MIS to come out @ £40ph. If someone could explain please, in brief steps how to install, this would be most appreciated. I looked through the Forum but couldn't find any help.

Cheers ALL!

Thank Post
    If you contact SIMS thay will point you to a doc that will help, we did ours about 2 months ago and it was pretty straight forward. If i come accross the link i'll post it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    If you contact SIMS thay will point you to a doc that will help, we did ours about 2 months ago and it was pretty straight forward. If i come accross the link i'll post it.
    I had to read that twice. SIMS and straight forward in the same sentence didn't look right.

Thank Post
    I would agree with day to day stuff but i've installed SIMS from scratch twich and it's been pretty straight forward both times, as long as you ring them when finished to check your document server.

Thank Post
    KB71383 - How to transfer SIMS / FMS from one server to another

6. Thanks to timzim from:

Oops_my_bad (29th January 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by myrideruk View Post
    Hi don't mean to sound stupid! I want to install sims .net and FMS on our newly bought school server, due to the fact the old server is well ...... OLD. How would I go about setting it up, am I right to thinking that I can just copy the whole F: Drive (which is where Sims is Installed) to the F: Drive on the new Server. I am saying this as I can't get hold of a CD from Capita (TIGHT). I'm (TIGHT) too as I don't want to pay for MIS to come out @ £40ph. If someone could explain please, in brief steps how to install, this would be most appreciated. I looked through the Forum but couldn't find any help.

Cheers ALL!
    I'll be looking at doing this in the next month or so Once HP send me the correct processor for my server (3 processors later!!). Let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Hey cookie_monster I would love that text file, I phoned sims helpdesk for a doc that explains how to do it but they say they don't know where it is, ??????? it's a doc file that explains their job? I think they scared of losing money! and have stopped helping others install sims .net themselves.

Also guys you are right sims and straightforward don't go. hehe

Thank Post
    I too got told that the migration document didn't exist. I had to go through a hard sell from the helpdesk and another from a "consultant" until I finally convinced them to hand the info over.

Thank Post
    I decided to ignore all of the documentation when I did my server migration. There are some things that make it much easier though, personnel 7 and FMS sql. As I waited until personnel had been done I was able to do a nice clean install without 20 years of crap in the sims folder. Since then I've migrated to sql 2005 and fms which gets rid of even more.

Keeping the same server name makes life easier from a sims point of view, but less so for windows. I had the luxury of the new server being a VM so I could create snapshots whenever I had installed a component cleanly in the correct way to gradually build a perfect install. The only files on my sims share are setups, nova t and manuals. I kept the old files though, it's not going to be easy but if I need access for any legal issues arising I can get it running (eventually) if needed.

My biggest issue was remembering to change paths for ctfs, exams etc in/out files. Oh and document server lies when you don't use the default path, it installs in the right place, but doesn't set the path correctly in the config - have to change it with the config utility.

I can only find the KB on supportnet, there doesn't seem to be a distinct document as such.

Thank Post
    DMcCoy, would you mind doing a quick how to for those of us running SIMS? Of course it would be "at our own risk" so to speak.. I've just done P7 and will eventually get round to FMS conversion. Perhaps then I will be looking to move SIMS onto new hardware, as it will be more straight forward as you say

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Its pretty easy to do actually, here is what I did.

- Setup the new server with 2003 and sql server 2005
    - Phone sims and ask for the latest main release CD, they will mail this to you for free.
    - Setup the software on the new sims server, choose all the default options.
    - Update Sims on the new server to the same version as the old server. Unfortunately capita in their great wisdom dont let you re-download updates from Solus so again you need to phone Capita to get them to unlock the latest updates for the new server.
    - Go to the old server and copy the sql data files, and the docstorage folder. Copy them somewhere on the new server.
    - Use DBattach to connect the data files you just copied into the new Sims server
    - Copy the Docstorage contents into wherever you chose to install it on the new server.

Decommission the old server once its all done and tested. We ran ours for nearly 4 months to test it although you do need to keep ringing capita to get those updates authorised for a second time.

13. 2 Thanks to zag:

Oops_my_bad (8th February 2008), vikpaw (7th February 2008)

Thank Post
    Found this out if it helps anyone! http://www.six.somerset.gov.uk/sixv3....asp?did=18604 It's a document to replace a sims server. I gonna be following this next week but if I get stuck I will contact Sims the school do actually pay for support so they should not need to charge any extra.

See what happens.....

Cheers for all your help!

15. Thanks to myrideruk from:

Oops_my_bad (8th February 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by myrideruk View Post
    the school do actually pay for support so they should not need to charge any extra.
    Pffft yeh.. and pigs may fly

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread