+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS to CMIS - anyone done it? in Technical; Hi, starting a new job this week. One of the 1st things they have mentioned is extracting data from SIMS ...
    Thank Post

SIMS to CMIS - anyone done it?

Hi, starting a new job this week. One of the 1st things they have mentioned is extracting data from SIMS and putting it into Facility CMIS - yikes!

Has anyone been through this - or did you get someone in to do it?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Serco did it as part of the migration package. No additional cost.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also have a look at the ICT Register as there are a number of schools on the ICT Register that have made the move.

Thank Post
    There also seem to be a number of people going CMIS back to SIMS.

Why does your school want to change. A frying pan to fire scenario may be coming your way!

Thank Post
    The school i was at before did this and again Serco did it as part of the migration package.

But to say it was a nightmare was a under statement.

Thank Post
    the migration from sims to cmis is normally done as part of the commissioning processes and I must say is the worst part of using the facility system. best to run the two side by side for a while to make sure everything is up and running properly. Migrating timetables is the worst part so its best to use sims for your current year and start setting up cmis for the coming year, including writing the timetable using scheduler.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolff View Post
    best to run the two side by side for a while to make sure everything is up and running properly.
    To add to this, I suggest making the old sims database non-writable. The last thing you want is some muppet continuing to add data to the old system.

Thank Post
    Indeed - CMIS do the migration under the package described above.

I would seriously contemplate leaving SIMS though - I'm currently supporting a network that made the move, lease to say there not all that impressed. I understand what situation you're in though - you've probably not got much say in the matter now!

Good Luck!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plock View Post
    Indeed - CMIS do the migration under the package described above.

I would seriously contemplate leaving SIMS though - I'm currently supporting a network that made the move, lease to say there not all that impressed. I understand what situation you're in though - you've probably not got much say in the matter now!

Good Luck!
    Do you mean have it in parallel running or actually just use Sims.net?

Thank Post
    We moved to CMIS and then moved back again - in fact I've just converted had the converted database back of Capita today!

There is a import facility in CMIS from SIMS and also SIMS.Net - I haven't tried these as Serco Derby did the conversion for us.

Thank Post
    One of my schools made the move from SIMS to Facility coming up to 4 years ago now. At the time we were having serious issues with SIMS. I would say personally say that Facility is better (although I can't compare it to the current SIMS). You do have to have a couple of really good people on board that will really lead the move and continue to lead throughout the first year or two of the move. You will hit hurdles and we found that the data migration from SIMS was far less complete than we had expected.
    I would recommend that you speak to a couple of schools, locally if possible that will help you implement a real world database a help advise you on some important decisions that need to be made. More than willing to help if you need it.
    Facility is very flexible and customisable. Reporting in facility is very different to SIMS. Much better in some ways but sometimes I feel you need to be a rocket scientist to understand them. They are completely rewriting their reporting system just now which should help.
    Let me know if you need a hand with anything and I'll do my best.
    Good luck!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kiran View Post
    Do you mean have it in parallel running or actually just use Sims.net?
    If you've got to make the move leave them running parallel definitely! Otherwise don't give CMIS your money! hehe

Thank Post
    We transferred from SIMS to Facility a year and a half ago. I would emphasise the following, some of which are mentioned above. Serco will transfer your data across, however for us they only transferred the 1 years worth of data. This meant that we still have to go into SIMS to look for historical information. They did not transfer any of our assessment or behaviour log information. I was not part of the decision making process and only started overseeing after the switch over.

We ran with Facility only from the start and did not run 2 systems in tandem. There are benefits to both, we were forced to fully embrace Facility immediately. However the data transfer was not perfect and there is a lot of checking to do. We ran with Facility from September 1st and I ran the Census in late September with it. I would advise using the 2 systems in tandem for no more than 1 term.

Thank Post

Thanks

Thanks for all the advice folks. In my 3rd week - no regrets!

You were right about Serco, they are "converting" data for us. Had more trouble getting exclusive access to the sims database files than anything else!

The current school is actually closing down and an Academy will be opening up on the same site - they wanted the new MIS - something to do with being better at handling vertical tutor groups.

I don't think that the Academy will need historical data. All that is being sent to the LA.

Thank Post
    @tazz exact same scenario here...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast