+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Bromcom MIS in Technical; Bromcom seem to be pushing very hard to sell us their new MIS set up. I wasn't able to get ...

Thank Post

Bromcom MIS

Bromcom seem to be pushing very hard to sell us their new MIS set up.

I wasn't able to get to the demo and couldn't get to BETT2008 either.

Has anyone seen it or have any experience of it?

We use their online register (Winfolder2) on laptops which doesn't seem brilliant so I am not hopeful about the bigger product.

TIA

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    hi,
    we use the old fashioned register folders and the laptop version, they are admittedly a bit dated looking, but the MIS is miles better, if you dare use it.

ask for a free demo. the version of winfolder you are referring to is now defunct and they have progressed to platform 3 or version 3, purely to support the new features in the MIS.

i've seen it and it's a whole redesign from the viewpoint of the user and i really liked it, a lot more intuitive to use, and i've always found the support much better than for Sims.

the contact information is available instantly and behaviour sits side by side with the register. the reporting and scheduling is much more powerful as well.

you can get some great deals from them if you are willing to take it on and even have the option of a phased rollout, one module at a time, but a change of MIS is a big move, especially if on the whole your existing system is getting you by without too much grief.

as far as i know it works on http web access much like the existing system you must have, and if you've used their web access you'll be familiar with the easy single sign-on process, and speed of navigation.

i'd love to change to it as we get superb support from them, and i'd be certain that any issues that arise would be promptly dealt with, however, there is the cost to think of, and also when problems do arise, the users will be looking for someone to blame and i hate it when they pick on me :O(

i think i will slowly move over to it, one module at a time, but it will require parallel running with the sims system, but that's a good thing as our data is so dirty it needs a thorough going over. even if it takes all of five years!

i'm currently trialling some of their new handheld devices, they have a really nice 802.11b folder for taking registers that's much quick than the old system we currently use, and is very robust. i'm thinking of using it for PE staff who can't really take their laptops out with them.

i've also tried the new tablet edition which is touch screen and runs windows which is really nice and gives the option of using office, all still in the A5 sturdy case. the only problem with that one is it's also a bit more likely to get stolen.

if you can't get them to demo, it's worth checking the website for open days where you can see it used in a school environment, rather than just a demo, as you can see the potential problems easily as well as the little nuances and clever uses that you only get in the live operating environment.

even if we don't get more modules other than the registration, texting and behaviour where they definitely excel, i can't see us getting rid of it, as for a minimal fee it stores a complete backup of our sims student info, timetable, and emergency contacts, which is great when i have to bring sims down for the day to do updates.

Thank Post
    Firstly I would like to say thanks to Vikpaw for that exhaustive reply and also a thanks to Histman for actually asking the question in the first place.
    I wholly agree that some of our handheld products are a "bit dated looking", they have always been built with a long term usage ethic. We have some customers that are still using the same folders they bought 8 years ago. The school environment (at least that encountered in the classroom) tends to be a bit wearing on some new technology, so robust is seen by us as a good thing. Not to mention the very real danger of, as Vikpaw put it, the newer looking kit being "bit more likely to get stolen".
    The Winfolder software product is compatible to most new kit as well though, we had it running on one of the new Asus EeePC's at BETT.

One thing that I would like to correct Vikpaw on is his usage of the term "defunct", little bit harsh :P.
    While Winfolder2 is most certainly "not" the latest incarnation of that particular product, it is still supported. We appreciate that school's budgets (especially ICT ones) are spread very thin already and this is one of the primary reasons we keep support for the older products going. Schools can upgrade to take advantage of new product features but there is no pressure to do so in order to avoid obsolescence.
    Obviously it does happen sometimes but we try our hardest to prevent it.

As for demo's, by all means contact our Customer Care or Sales teams and they will be more than happy to arrange something.
    I'm sure you already know the number

Thank Post

Smile Bromcom MIS

Thanks Vikpaw and John for your comments.

Very helpful!

I'll be discussing them with the VP responsible.

histman

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,383 Times in 1,145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCondon View Post
    One thing that I would like to correct Vikpaw on is his usage of the term "defunct", little bit harsh :P.
    sorry john, i stand corrected. by defunct i meant they are no longer devoloping/upgrading the older system (am i right? ), however it is still fully supported and will be patched as necessary

Home: Telford Office: Wolverhampton Work Travel: all over UK!
    Thank Post

eeek.. aaagh... I cant help myself

<Post deleted due to unauthorised advertising>
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 8th February 2008 at 03:07 PM.

Home: Telford Office: Wolverhampton Work Travel: all over UK!
    Thank Post

ooh and...

<Post deleted due to unauthorised advertising>
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 8th February 2008 at 03:09 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread