+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Quickletter in Technical; Ok so Capita have changed their mind on using the rtf and gone back to doc for this, but now ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hale Barns
    Posts
    211
    Thank Post
    39
    Thanked 8 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    17

    SIMS Quickletter

    Ok so Capita have changed their mind on using the rtf and gone back to doc for this, but now (after applying the Dec update) I can't use the field <REG> or <reg_group> in the doc template to insert the students reg group.

    Any ideas what it's now called, or where it's gone.
    <SALUTATION>
    <NAME>
    <ADDRESS>
    all work fine still....

  2. #2

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    18,517
    Thank Post
    526
    Thanked 2,641 Times in 2,045 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    923
    From what people here have been saying, it has never been available.

  3. #3

    TechMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    South East
    Posts
    3,336
    Thank Post
    227
    Thanked 433 Times in 315 Posts
    Rep Power
    172
    I haven't checked since the december update but the series of events I remember went something like:
    RTF version on each individual station
    Changed to SIMS form that couldn't be changed except by an individual person and didn't include headers or footers
    Changed to DOC on each station but had to use the template they supplied as a basis as it contained macros that generate various bits. Also users had to have ability to run macros.

    I will check what its like at the mo, but haven't had any complaints and they usually come thick and fast!

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Hale Barns
    Posts
    211
    Thank Post
    39
    Thanked 8 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    Yep, confirmed with Capita.

    Used to be a doc, then became an rtf, now back to being a doc. using the <reg> field is no longer allowed. still it's not a major setback..unlike power cuts...

    What's wierd is that in SIMS.net folder on workstation, there is both an rtf and a doc. When you change the rtf then open the doc, the doc refreshes itself to mirror what the rtf looks like, using a macro...

  5. #5
    sahmeepee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Greater Manchester
    Posts
    795
    Thank Post
    20
    Thanked 70 Times in 42 Posts
    Rep Power
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    Yep, confirmed with Capita.

    Used to be a doc, then became an rtf, now back to being a doc. using the <reg> field is no longer allowed. still it's not a major setback..unlike power cuts...

    What's wierd is that in SIMS.net folder on workstation, there is both an rtf and a doc. When you change the rtf then open the doc, the doc refreshes itself to mirror what the rtf looks like, using a macro...
    Presumably that's to handle the situation where people already had rtf files set up which they were happy with. Part of our login script checks to see if there's a newer rtf in our sims setups directory than the one on the local machine. If there is it grabs a copy. It's a shame you can't make SIMS.net do that itself during its startup checks.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,403
    Thank Post
    38
    Thanked 385 Times in 261 Posts
    Rep Power
    84
    Just a reminder. Any user defined report created in the student focus can be called from the student details screen. This creates a single "report" for the student you are on. This gives you access to all fields.

    The changes to QuickLetter were made to allow the easy saving of the letter back to the DMS. To start with we couldn't see how to achieve that by using Word but now we have.

  7. Thanks to PhilNeal from:

    sahmeepee (28th January 2008)

  8. #7
    sahmeepee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Greater Manchester
    Posts
    795
    Thank Post
    20
    Thanked 70 Times in 42 Posts
    Rep Power
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    Just a reminder. Any user defined report created in the student focus can be called from the student details screen. This creates a single "report" for the student you are on. This gives you access to all fields.
    Aha! That is genius - I never would have spotted it!

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    The changes to QuickLetter were made to allow the easy saving of the letter back to the DMS. To start with we couldn't see how to achieve that by using Word but now we have.
    That is good news. It seems that on my PC when I open the QLT doc, it pulls in the QLT rtf file, but changes the page size to Letter instead of A4. Is this the case for everyone? I haven't tested it extensively on our site. It shouldn't be a problem here - I'll just change our login script to grab a tweaked version of the QLT doc file from the SIMS setups folder.

  9. #8
    sahmeepee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Greater Manchester
    Posts
    795
    Thank Post
    20
    Thanked 70 Times in 42 Posts
    Rep Power
    34
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilNeal View Post
    Just a reminder. Any user defined report created in the student focus can be called from the student details screen. This creates a single "report" for the student you are on. This gives you access to all fields.

    The changes to QuickLetter were made to allow the easy saving of the letter back to the DMS. To start with we couldn't see how to achieve that by using Word but now we have.
    I now have a question for Phil or any SIMS ninjas out there...

    Q) Is there a way of making custom reports upload to the DMS in the same way as the Quick Letter template now does?

    I tried using a renamed copy of the quicklettertemplate.doc as the basis of a word mail merge report, but it didn't behave as expected when I ran the report from the student's details page: I got 2 documents on screen - one showing the merge field names with a "quick letter save and close" button; one with correctly merged data, but no "quick letter save and close" button.

    It would be really handy if office staff / HoYs could draw on a pool of preprepared letters home and be able to save them into the DMS in one smooth motion.

    Should I be filing a change request on Supportnet or can this be done today?

  10. #9
    DMcCoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Isle of Wight
    Posts
    3,505
    Thank Post
    10
    Thanked 508 Times in 445 Posts
    Rep Power
    116
    While on the topic of sims and docs, it gets a lot less fun with docx

    To make profiles work the only solution is to disable ALL macro security in word. Even the allow when requested option doesn't work, this i'm told is the only solution. For something that is now "compatible" with Office 2007 it is an unacceptable one.

  11. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    314
    Thank Post
    29
    Thanked 19 Times in 18 Posts
    Rep Power
    21
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I am pretty sure this can't be done as yet!! It does need to be manually uploaded to DMS...

    The idea of central pool for all Year Heads does sound like a good idea - ChangeRequest!

    Quote Originally Posted by sahmeepee View Post
    I now have a question for Phil or any SIMS ninjas out there...

    Q) Is there a way of making custom reports upload to the DMS in the same way as the Quick Letter template now does?

    I tried using a renamed copy of the quicklettertemplate.doc as the basis of a word mail merge report, but it didn't behave as expected when I ran the report from the student's details page: I got 2 documents on screen - one showing the merge field names with a "quick letter save and close" button; one with correctly merged data, but no "quick letter save and close" button.

    It would be really handy if office staff / HoYs could draw on a pool of preprepared letters home and be able to save them into the DMS in one smooth motion.

    Should I be filing a change request on Supportnet or can this be done today?



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •