+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
MIS Systems Thread, ePortal IIS Instructions?? in Technical; Hi Does anyone have any instructions on setting up IIS on 2008 for use with eportal? Im stuck at configuring ...
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    36
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    3

    ePortal IIS Instructions??

    Hi

    Does anyone have any instructions on setting up IIS on 2008 for use with eportal? Im stuck at configuring IIS.

    Any help appreciated.

  2. #2

    sonofsanta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Posts
    5,002
    Thank Post
    870
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Blog Entries
    47
    Rep Power
    643
    Worked for me last summer, can't think it's too different right now (PDF):
    Configuring IIS for use with ePortal.pdf

  3. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

    eshaq786 (3rd September 2014)

  4. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    36
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    3
    You sir deserve a gold medal! Thank you so much. You just saved me £400.

    I installed a new server and migrated CMIS from 2003 to 2008. All was working fine apart from IIS. I knew I was close as IIS was working but got stuck at the last hurdle. My local authority ICT provider called Link2ICT were being right wankers and refused to help me out unless I gave them £400 as they said they will not touch it since I did the installation and migration. I refused to pay as I knew it was just a few settings that needed to be added to IIS and certainly not worth £400. Your instructions will be what they would've most likely followed anyway and I just needed the last few steps of that anyway. Glad I asked on here for help.

    I'm just waiting for a call back from them so I can tell them to shove it. And maybe offer to sell them the instructions for £400 since thats what they think its worth.

  5. #4

    sonofsanta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Posts
    5,002
    Thank Post
    870
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Blog Entries
    47
    Rep Power
    643
    More than welcome - think I got them from someone on here last year anyway along with a few other docs.

    For the record, though, if you log in at advancedfirstline.com, there's a link to Latest Install Guides on the right that has that doc available so you really can tell Link2ICT to stuff it up their hoohahs, if the information is freely available as part of your support contract. Re-installing Facility onto a new server is your right - Advanced Learning don't mind you doing it, it's nowt to do with anyone else.

  6. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    20
    Thank Post
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by eshaq786 View Post
    You sir deserve a gold medal! Thank you so much. You just saved me £400.

    I installed a new server and migrated CMIS from 2003 to 2008. All was working fine apart from IIS. I knew I was close as IIS was working but got stuck at the last hurdle. My local authority ICT provider called Link2ICT were being right wankers and refused to help me out unless I gave them £400 as they said they will not touch it since I did the installation and migration. I refused to pay as I knew it was just a few settings that needed to be added to IIS and certainly not worth £400. Your instructions will be what they would've most likely followed anyway and I just needed the last few steps of that anyway. Glad I asked on here for help.

    I'm just waiting for a call back from them so I can tell them to shove it. And maybe offer to sell them the instructions for £400 since thats what they think its worth.
    This isn't stricly correct - I believe you were asking for the proprietry install notes that have been written for the technicians to use when carrying out an install. You were quoted a day rate (Less than £400) for a technician to carry out the intstall and then offered a 50% discount as a goodwill guesture.

    sonofsanta is correct, you are perfectly entitled to set this up yourself and there are install notes freely available online but obviously if we have developed proprietry resources or are being asked to support something then we are entitled to put a charge on this.

    At the end of the day it comes down to the time/cost balance - is it easier (and cost effecitve) to do it yourself or quicker to pay someone to do it while you carry on with other work.

  7. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    36
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by ICTRambling View Post
    This isn't stricly correct - I believe you were asking for the proprietry install notes that have been written for the technicians to use when carrying out an install. You were quoted a day rate (Less than £400) for a technician to carry out the intstall and then offered a 50% discount as a goodwill guesture.

    sonofsanta is correct, you are perfectly entitled to set this up yourself and there are install notes freely available online but obviously if we have developed proprietry resources or are being asked to support something then we are entitled to put a charge on this.

    At the end of the day it comes down to the time/cost balance - is it easier (and cost effecitve) to do it yourself or quicker to pay someone to do it while you carry on with other work.
    Proprietary notes? You're having a laugh ain't you. All you just do is slap the link2ict logo on the instructions available from advanced learning. Even then, these notes should be available to us as part of the support we pay. You didn't even bother to offer the freely available instructions to me that sonofsanta kindly provided. You just jumped straight to deciding to charge me for it. Wonder how many schools have fallen for this crap of yours. You would have a far better reputation if you actually genuinely helped people rather than resorting to making money at every opportunity you get.

    I'll be looking at alternative MIS providers since link2ict have proven once again that they are a bunch of money grabbing thieves.

    And it is actually quicker for me to do it because the service and response time from link2ict is rubbish. Seasons change by the time you get back to someone even when we stress that it is a priority.

  8. #7
    APC
    APC is offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    40
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    24
    As Birmingham schools generally use a very specific way of making eportal available securely over the internet, I'm sure the notes from Advanced Learning will not provide all the information required.... If you are from the school I think you are - it doesnt appear you have got it to work as yet?

  9. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    36
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    3
    You probably got the wrong school mate. All working over here. As it's all internal it doesn't require the ssl certificates although that can be done but we don't use eportal externally anyway and have never done so.

  10. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    5
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Can I ask why do you need to configure IIS if you don't use eportal externally? Eportal works fine internally without any additional configuration.

  11. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    36
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    3
    Eportal itself is a webpage which you need IIS to host even if it is only accessed internally. You may not have had to configure it as it may have previously been done but you certainly do need additional configuration if you deployed it on a new server.

  12. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    5
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by eshaq786 View Post
    Eportal itself is a webpage which you need IIS to host even if it is only accessed internally. You may not have had to configure it as it may have previously been done but you certainly do need additional configuration if you deployed it on a new server.
    Are you sure? Advanced Learning provide Apache Tomcat as an alternative to IIS to host web pages.

  13. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    36
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    3
    Check the instructions posted above. They are from advanced learning. IIS works with apache tomcat to serve the pages.

  14. #13

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    5
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    The notes show you how to configure IIS, they don't say you need IIS. I have been using eportal internally for many years and have never configured IIS - in fact I have never added IIS role to the server. I rely purely on Tomcat. As we only access it internally I want to keep things simple.

  15. #14

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    36
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by FZAMI View Post
    The notes show you how to configure IIS, they don't say you need IIS. I have been using eportal internally for many years and have never configured IIS - in fact I have never added IIS role to the server. I rely purely on Tomcat. As we only access it internally I want to keep things simple.
    Well if that is the case, it certainly didn't work for me. It only started working when IIS was properly setup. Who knows but atleast its working now....no thanks to link2ict ofcourse.

  16. #15

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    5
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by eshaq786 View Post
    Well if that is the case, it certainly didn't work for me. It only started working when IIS was properly setup. Who knows but atleast its working now....no thanks to link2ict ofcourse.
    You do know that Tomcat default port is 8080 which you need to specify with your URL? IIS of course uses standard port 80 for HTTP.
    If you don't believe me try it now. Turn off your IIS service and use http://<server name or IP>:8080/eportal. You will get the login screen. Trust me I have been using it for years.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 21st January 2010, 02:35 PM
  2. CMIS / EPortal Advice
    By stitch in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 9th October 2007, 09:27 PM
  3. Hel with CMIs/ePortal upgrade please.
    By tosca925 in forum Educational Software
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11th January 2006, 09:08 AM
  4. CMIS/Eportal - hardware???
    By SpuffMonkey in forum Educational Software
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 20th December 2005, 10:55 PM
  5. SUSE Email Server II
    By kingswood in forum *nix
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 8th September 2005, 09:51 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •