+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Server Migration - SOLUS 3 Agents not communicating with new server in Technical; Good morning all, Last week I migrated my SIMS and FMS databases to a new server with a new name. ...

Thank Post

Server Migration - SOLUS 3 Agents not communicating with new server

Good morning all,

Last week I migrated my SIMS and FMS databases to a new server with a new name. Everything was working fine until I needed to upgrade to the summer release using SOLUS 3. I added a few PCs to test on to SOLUS 3 on the new server (the old one has now been decommissioned) and pushed out the latest SOLUS 3 agent. They all updated to the latest agent fine.

However, the agents report as being online but have a black circle with a white R in it. When I hover over this it says:

Deployment Service has been moved but this agent has not yet communicated with it.

I tried to deploy SIMS summer and FMS summer but none of the agents on the PCs would update. The server has been updated but none of the clients will update. SOLUS 3 just skips over them. Doesn't class them as succeeded or failed- just skips over them as if they weren't there- despite them being reported as online.

The LA helpdesk are basically saying I need to remove all agents from SOLUS 3 and manually uninstall the agent on every PC before adding them back to SOLUS 3. Bearing in mind we have over 300 machines... possibly over 400... with SIMS on it.. and most of them are laptops which won't return until PD day... well that's just not a feasible option for us.

Is there any way to get the agents which are online in SOLUS 3 to point to the new server? Or a fix we can push out to the agents/machines? (e.g updated config files)

I don't understand how they managed to update the SOLUS 3 agent ok from the new server but won't run the SIMS or FMS updates.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank Post
    Ok I've found a bit of a quicker way to uninstall the agent using a command rather than by going to each machine individually.

If I run wmic product where (name="SOLUS 3 Agent") call uninstall /nointeractive on each machine (which I can do remotely using our classroom management software) then add the machine to SOLUS 3 on the new server- that fixes it. It's still annoying that I have to remove the agent from the local machine first but I've found nothing else that works so far. At least this means I can do it centrally rather than visiting each machine though.

It's also still going to be an awful lot of work on PD day when all the staff laptops come back. But at least I've sped the process up somewhat.

Thank Post
    Have you tried to create a CNAME in your DNS for new server so the clients can resolve the old name (to the new server).

4. Thanks to matt40k from:

khoward (7th August 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    Have you tried to create a CNAME in your DNS for new server so the clients can resolve the old name (to the new server).
    No I haven't - good idea. Will try that this afternoon.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    This looks like it's working!

I can't begin to explain how happy I am right now. You've saved me hours of work and staff complaints!! Thank you!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread