+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Attaching legacy FMS database to SQL2012 instance in Technical; Morning All, We have an old legacy FMS database which we've just dbattach'd from our old SQL2008 server and are ...
    Thank Post

Attaching legacy FMS database to SQL2012 instance

Morning All,

We have an old legacy FMS database which we've just dbattach'd from our old SQL2008 server and are attempting to now attach it to a SQL2012 instance. Unfortunately I'm getting the following error "Could Not Find Stored Procedure 'sp_dboption" midway through the attach process. From the looks of things 'sp_dboption' is not longer supported on SQL2012 so how do we attach the database? Will doing it through the SQL Server Management Studio be sufficient? I also get the same error in the log file if I use the Migration tool on the backup DB Attach made when taking the original FMS DB off the older server.
    Last edited by Sam_Brown; 30th July 2014 at 11:54 AM.

Thank Post
    Has this legacy database been kept up to date with new FMS releases as they come along? I'm thinking it hasn't...

Meldrew.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    It will need to be at the version of fms that first supported 2012, which I cant remember off the top of my head. If not, you will need to attach it to a 2008 instance, upgrade it and migrate it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheScarfedOne View Post
    It will need to be at the version of fms that first supported 2012, which I cant remember off the top of my head. If not, you will need to attach it to a 2008 instance, upgrade it and migrate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meldrew View Post
    Has this legacy database been kept up to date with new FMS releases as they come along? I'm thinking it hasn't...

Meldrew.
    Yeah I assumed this was the issue and the solution! The problem is I don't believe we are paying for updates for FMS anymore as it is only being used as a legacy system. It gets accessed a few times a year if that. SOLUS only shows a few small patches and no major upgrades as being available. I guess it's a case of suck it up and keep the old server ticking along for FMS or purchase the upgrades and migrate over. I did try a straight "attach" using SQL Server but it won't let me log in to FMS after doing this. Am I right in thinking that's because the migration tool moves the users \ passwords over with it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Fms user accounts have always been a bit of fun when changing servers. If you have done a dbdetach, this should bring everything with it. Heard of it not being right on a dbattach before tho. Definately wont like the sql way. Do you not still pay licence for fms? Your support entitlement would be worth checking ..its an interesting conundrum that one

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Brown View Post
    I guess it's a case of suck it up and keep the old server ticking along for FMS or purchase the upgrades and migrate over.
    Yup, otherwise you'll have the auditors all over you.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheScarfedOne View Post
    Fms user accounts have always been a bit of fun when changing servers. If you have done a dbdetach, this should bring everything with it. Heard of it not being right on a dbattach before tho. Definately wont like the sql way. Do you not still pay licence for fms? Your support entitlement would be worth checking ..its an interesting conundrum that one
    I was planning on ringing them up today to check on our entitlement but they are on a "whole company training day"! I was under the impression we opted out of the FMS support and upgrades to save on a bit of money a while back but I will call the check in the morning.

Thank Post
    I have had the exact same issue in the past, Capita managed to get it sorted by making changes within SQL management studio although I cant for the life of me remember what they changed...but it can be done....sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Thank Post
    Gave them a shout the other day and they refused to budge because we don't have a support contract. Fair enough and what I expected. I asked how much just for the upgrades and they refused to do it as they were only prepared to offer it as part of a years full entitlement and support and wouldn't just offer us the upgrades. Bit shi**y but that's capita after all.

In the end stuck SQL 2008 Express on the 2012 server alongside the SQL 2012 instance and works fine (after tweaking the TCP port).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread