+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
MIS Systems Thread, New Students in Sim to AD in Technical; Hi Guys, I have this years new students which are currently in Sims.net and wanted to know if there is ...
  1. #1
    Techdw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    156
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    New Students in Sim to AD

    Hi Guys,

    I have this years new students which are currently in Sims.net and wanted to know if there is an easy way for me to get them into AD ( Server 2012 ) instead of making the accounts one by one.

    Any advice would be great.

    Thanks
    A

  2. #2
    Marshall_IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    540
    Thank Post
    78
    Thanked 78 Times in 63 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    21
    Probably not exactly what you're looking for but o use a service from Salamander Soft to integrate Sims with ad, exchange, office 365 for provisioning users from SIMS. Absolutely fantastic product.

  3. #3
    benjie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Stockton
    Posts
    99
    Thank Post
    8
    Thanked 19 Times in 19 Posts
    Rep Power
    11
    Have a look at CSVDE. Export the data from sims and manipulate it in Excel and output to csv.

  4. #4
    jamesfed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,208
    Thank Post
    137
    Thanked 345 Times in 291 Posts
    Rep Power
    87
    I use a SSIS package here which kicks off a commanderporter (SIMS program) job which exports a complete list of the students along with their Person_ID. Anyone who is new then gets imported into a SQL Server Table where their username, password, folders and so on are generated. This in turn exports a list of the new users into CSV which a PowerShell job picks up and adds the new users in...from there it also runs another PowerShell job to provision their mailbox.

    I do mean to document this on my blog at some point!

  5. #5

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    16,108
    Thank Post
    891
    Thanked 1,753 Times in 1,512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    458
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall_IT View Post
    Probably not exactly what you're looking for but o use a service from Salamander Soft to integrate Sims with ad, exchange, office 365 for provisioning users from SIMS. Absolutely fantastic product.
    Another vote for Salamander. Excellent product!

  6. #6

    matt40k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    4,439
    Thank Post
    368
    Thanked 650 Times in 531 Posts
    Rep Power
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    I use a SSIS package here which kicks off a commanderporter (SIMS program) job which exports a complete list of the students along with their Person_ID. Anyone who is new then gets imported into a SQL Server Table where their username, password, folders and so on are generated. This in turn exports a list of the new users into CSV which a PowerShell job picks up and adds the new users in...from there it also runs another PowerShell job to provision their mailbox.

    I do mean to document this on my blog at some point!
    I think your missing a trick really. SSIS package > commandreporter > csv > import into staging db > then generates ad user rather then export to CSV only to import using another .exe. Still, why do you need a staging db? Why write the PersonID to EmployeeID in AD and the AD username to SIMS?

    Still Salamander is the way to go!

  7. #7
    jamesfed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,208
    Thank Post
    137
    Thanked 345 Times in 291 Posts
    Rep Power
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    I think your missing a trick really. SSIS package > commandreporter > csv > import into staging db > then generates ad user rather then export to CSV only to import using another .exe. Still, why do you need a staging db? Why write the PersonID to EmployeeID in AD and the AD username to SIMS?

    Still Salamander is the way to go!
    By 'generated' I simply mean working out what those values should be Only one .exe involved in the whole process and thats command reporter - everything else is SQL/CSV/PowerShell

    Writing the person ID to the employee ID field allows us to have a common ID amongst lots of internal systems including asset management (which in turn powers our ID card/door access control), printing, in house trip management and plenty more.

    Either way its a case of free (besides the SQL server lic and the 2-3 hrs max that it takes to put together even a rudimentary AD provisioning from SQL server system) against paid for....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. [SIMS] Exporting Admission numbers from sims to AD ?
    By ihaveaproblem in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 25th June 2012, 11:22 AM
  2. Making new user in Sims
    By Jobos in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27th June 2010, 05:24 PM
  3. Individual reports for students in SIMS
    By cjohnsonuk in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25th March 2008, 11:27 AM
  4. Adding new staff in SIMS .NET
    By CESIL in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 18th March 2008, 03:23 PM
  5. Win32 SID path - linking sims to AD
    By jrubinstein in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22nd June 2007, 09:40 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •