+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, New Students in Sim to AD in Technical; Hi Guys, I have this years new students which are currently in Sims.net and wanted to know if there is ...
    Thank Post

New Students in Sim to AD

Hi Guys,

I have this years new students which are currently in Sims.net and wanted to know if there is an easy way for me to get them into AD ( Server 2012 ) instead of making the accounts one by one.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
    A

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Probably not exactly what you're looking for but o use a service from Salamander Soft to integrate Sims with ad, exchange, office 365 for provisioning users from SIMS. Absolutely fantastic product.

Thank Post
    Have a look at CSVDE. Export the data from sims and manipulate it in Excel and output to csv.

Thank Post
    I use a SSIS package here which kicks off a commanderporter (SIMS program) job which exports a complete list of the students along with their Person_ID. Anyone who is new then gets imported into a SQL Server Table where their username, password, folders and so on are generated. This in turn exports a list of the new users into CSV which a PowerShell job picks up and adds the new users in...from there it also runs another PowerShell job to provision their mailbox.

I do mean to document this on my blog at some point!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,753 Times in 1,512 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall_IT View Post
    Probably not exactly what you're looking for but o use a service from Salamander Soft to integrate Sims with ad, exchange, office 365 for provisioning users from SIMS. Absolutely fantastic product.
    Another vote for Salamander. Excellent product!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    I use a SSIS package here which kicks off a commanderporter (SIMS program) job which exports a complete list of the students along with their Person_ID. Anyone who is new then gets imported into a SQL Server Table where their username, password, folders and so on are generated. This in turn exports a list of the new users into CSV which a PowerShell job picks up and adds the new users in...from there it also runs another PowerShell job to provision their mailbox.

I do mean to document this on my blog at some point!
    I think your missing a trick really. SSIS package > commandreporter > csv > import into staging db > then generates ad user rather then export to CSV only to import using another .exe. Still, why do you need a staging db? Why write the PersonID to EmployeeID in AD and the AD username to SIMS?

Still Salamander is the way to go!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    I think your missing a trick really. SSIS package > commandreporter > csv > import into staging db > then generates ad user rather then export to CSV only to import using another .exe. Still, why do you need a staging db? Why write the PersonID to EmployeeID in AD and the AD username to SIMS?

Still Salamander is the way to go!
    By 'generated' I simply mean working out what those values should be Only one .exe involved in the whole process and thats command reporter - everything else is SQL/CSV/PowerShell

Writing the person ID to the employee ID field allows us to have a common ID amongst lots of internal systems including asset management (which in turn powers our ID card/door access control), printing, in house trip management and plenty more.

Either way its a case of free (besides the SQL server lic and the 2-3 hrs max that it takes to put together even a rudimentary AD provisioning from SQL server system) against paid for....

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread