+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Summer Release hell... in Technical; Morning folks.. How is everyone else finding the Summer release? We were hoping to get organised ready for Exams Results ...

Thank Post

Unhappy SIMS Summer Release hell...

Morning folks..

How is everyone else finding the Summer release? We were hoping to get organised ready for Exams Results Days, but seem to be having all sorts of issues with it.

• The Exam result aspects are not showing the correct points values attached when put into a marksheet - so I can't calculate total points scores/capped 8/ work out the best 2 BTEC grades etc.

• No Welsh Board results from previous seasons are coming through

• Maths - If modular and linear were taken in the same season (mainly Nov 2013) the discounting is not working

• Some Cambridge Technical IT qualifications are being discounted, even though the student hasn't taken any other qualification with the same discount code.

Is anyone else having similar problems, or has anyone heard if patches/v3 are on the way?

Thanks

Steve

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Have you imported the latest performance measures file into SIMS after doing the Summer Upgrade?

I don't know about anything else, but I know we are waiting on an updated Performance Measures file to take into account either new basedata or something to do with the QAN/Discount Code from the English GCSE's (I can't remember exactly, only that a new Performance Measures file should fix it).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cache View Post
    Have you imported the latest performance measures file into SIMS after doing the Summer Upgrade?

I don't know about anything else, but I know we are waiting on an updated Performance Measures file to take into account either new basedata or something to do with the QAN/Discount Code from the English GCSE's (I can't remember exactly, only that a new Performance Measures file should fix it).
    Hi Cache

I think so, unless there is another one due? Our support team suggested that (after telling us to update them weeks ago and forgetting to mention they were updated), but unfortunately it hasn't fixed the problem.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well there's the performance measures file on CapitaESS Capita Education Support Services or on SupportNet under Resource 22907. Although the SupportNet one appears to be a slightly later version, running a comparison on the two comes back they are identical.

We've definitely been told that a new one will be released before Results Day though because of the English codes.

Edit: Trying to make sense of the SupportNet Case Log, do all your exams tally up correctly with Courses in Course Manager? I've no idea if that matters or not, I know our Exams Officer and SIMS Manager spent a lot of time over the last 3 weeks of term moving, modifying and updating Courses, splitting base data and linking QANS.
    Last edited by Cache; 25th July 2014 at 09:42 PM.

5. Thanks to Cache from:

StevieTSS (28th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanks Cache. I have checked and we have got the ones on the Capita link, I will keep my eye out for the new one when it appears!

I will have a look at our Course Manager, we spent alot of time last year when I first came tidying it up, but it is worth a check.

Thanks for all your advice!

Thank Post
    Reading the comments on the bottom of this page indicate that Summer 2 release is due on 4/8.
    Eight reasons why you should upgrade to the SIMS 2014 Summer Release | capita-sims.co.uk

JB.

8. 2 Thanks to jbunoomally:

Cache (28th July 2014), StevieTSS (28th July 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanks for that link JB. I foolishly thought they'd got rid of the big bugs before Summer 2, but if there is a big patch due too hopefully that will help.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jbunoomally View Post
    Reading the comments on the bottom of this page indicate that Summer 2 release is due on 4/8.
    Eight reasons why you should upgrade to the SIMS 2014 Summer Release | capita-sims.co.uk

JB.
    It would be quite nice if that info was on Supportnet too.... It's hard enough trying to find stuff without having to check more sites!
    Last edited by Cache; 28th July 2014 at 02:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Agreed!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieTSS View Post
    I foolishly thought they'd got rid of the big bugs before Summer 2, but if there is a big patch due too hopefully that will help.
    1. The Exam result aspects are not showing the correct points values attached when put into a Marksheet - so I can't calculate total points scores/capped 8/ work out the best 2 BTEC grades etc. – This has been raised by Cambridge today and we are investigating – I have spoken to the team & they have confirmed that there are a few cases regarding this. This will be escalated for a fix.
    2. No Welsh Board results from previous seasons are coming through – There are 2 cases (one resolved one live waiting for data which may be connected to this issue) however we would need to know more to investigate.
    3. Maths - If modular and linear were taken in the same season (mainly Nov 2013) the discounting is not working – SIMS Exams cannot discount if the 2 exams were taken in the same season, this has to be done manually.
    4. Some Cambridge Technical IT qualifications are being discounted, even though the student hasn't taken any other qualification with the same discount code. - We are not aware of this issue and would need a case to be raised to investigate it.

I'm afraid that even beyond results day, anomalies will be found in exam board data. A2C will make this easier to deal with in future years.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread