+ Post New Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13
MIS Systems Thread, SchoolComms txting in Technical; Can anyone tell me the procedure/sequence for notifying a parent of a detention?...
  1. #1

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,256
    Thank Post
    182
    Thanked 375 Times in 304 Posts
    Rep Power
    174

    SchoolComms txting

    Can anyone tell me the procedure/sequence for notifying a parent of a detention?

  2. #2

    GREED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    3,072
    Thank Post
    377
    Thanked 380 Times in 309 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    Can anyone tell me the procedure/sequence for notifying a parent of a detention?
    Letter home? :-D I'll get me coat ;-)

  3. #3

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,256
    Thank Post
    182
    Thanked 375 Times in 304 Posts
    Rep Power
    174
    You can txt a letter home?

  4. #4

    GREED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    3,072
    Thank Post
    377
    Thanked 380 Times in 309 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    178
    Media message ;-)

    I'll definitely leave now I'm not helping!

  5. #5
    Boredguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Swindon
    Posts
    600
    Thank Post
    4
    Thanked 133 Times in 124 Posts
    Rep Power
    50
    Text followed by e-mail copy of the letter or normal post?

    I believe we normally use an e-mail notification and send a physical copy of the letter home as it's cheaper than a txt message

  6. Thanks to Boredguy from:

    creese (16th July 2014)

  7. #6

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,256
    Thank Post
    182
    Thanked 375 Times in 304 Posts
    Rep Power
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by Boredguy View Post
    Text followed by e-mail copy of the letter or normal post?

    I believe we normally use an e-mail notification and send a physical copy of the letter home as it's cheaper than a txt message
    The school are only, initially, wanting to know about Detention texts

  8. #7
    tombry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bassingbourn
    Posts
    194
    Thank Post
    45
    Thanked 37 Times in 29 Posts
    Rep Power
    22
    using schoolcomms?

    I send emails/texts (email is free, texts cost, so email first always) on the day of detention (2PM, for 3:20 Dets)

    I have a template that is basically:

    <Forename> has a <detention type> today for <reason>. Failure to attend would lead to an SLT detention. Any questions contact <my email addy formatted as my name>.

    Seems to work for most of our parents

  9. Thanks to tombry from:

    creese (16th July 2014)

  10. #8

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,256
    Thank Post
    182
    Thanked 375 Times in 304 Posts
    Rep Power
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by tombry View Post
    using schoolcomms?

    I send emails/texts (email is free, texts cost, so email first always) on the day of detention (2PM, for 3:20 Dets)

    I have a template that is basically:

    <Forename> has a <detention type> today for <reason>. Failure to attend would lead to an SLT detention. Any questions contact <my email addy formatted as my name>.

    Seems to work for most of our parents
    Thanks, what I'm after is what do you actually do to send the text, i.e click Send from the detention.

    Sorry if I didn't make it clear, but the school left it until just before a meeting to clarify what I sent a couple of days ago.

  11. #9
    tombry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bassingbourn
    Posts
    194
    Thank Post
    45
    Thanked 37 Times in 29 Posts
    Rep Power
    22
    Gotcha.

    well I post detention lists, so I run the same report at 2PM, and then open schoolcomms and send the messages from within schoolcomms.

    I think the "send" button in SIMS detention screen works with whatever Capita's bolt-on messaging service is called, we looked at it, but it was way too cost prohibitive

  12. Thanks to tombry from:

    creese (16th July 2014)

  13. #10

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,256
    Thank Post
    182
    Thanked 375 Times in 304 Posts
    Rep Power
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by tombry View Post

    I think the "send" button in SIMS detention screen works with whatever Capita's bolt-on messaging service is called, we looked at it, but it was way too cost prohibitive
    That is what I assumed. I did tell the school to call SchoolComms to make sure.

  14. #11

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    169
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    They can also be informed via the Gateway app (free DL and message) if they have it installed

  15. #12
    Schoolcomms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    51
    Thank Post
    47
    Thanked 48 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by tombry View Post
    Gotcha.

    I think the "send" button in SIMS detention screen works with whatever Capita's bolt-on messaging service is called, we looked at it, but it was way too cost prohibitive
    Yes I'm afraid we don't yet have any functionality to automatically send messages regarding detentions at the moment.

    You can automatically send a message (SMS or free app message) when you enter a behaviour incident (often recorded alongside a detention) in SIMS. The parent can then follow the link the message and look at the behaviour detail on School Gateway - here they can see the action taken for the behaviour incident (which can be a detention). But at the moment you can't see the details of the detention.

    We have it on the list of possible enhancements, but we aren't there yet.

  16. #13

    creese's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    -28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Posts
    3,256
    Thank Post
    182
    Thanked 375 Times in 304 Posts
    Rep Power
    174
    Quote Originally Posted by Schoolcomms View Post
    Yes I'm afraid we don't yet have any functionality to automatically send messages regarding detentions at the moment.

    You can automatically send a message (SMS or free app message) when you enter a behaviour incident (often recorded alongside a detention) in SIMS. The parent can then follow the link the message and look at the behaviour detail on School Gateway - here they can see the action taken for the behaviour incident (which can be a detention). But at the moment you can't see the details of the detention.

    We have it on the list of possible enhancements, but we aren't there yet.
    Thanks. I think we missed the boat here. Their meeting was Tuesday. But they did leave it until the last minute to ask me.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Similar Threads

  1. [SIMS] Schoolcomms Sims Import Error
    By jamesrobinson in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 1st December 2012, 06:46 AM
  2. Schoolcomms or Truancy/Call Parents?
    By grahamd22 in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 3rd October 2012, 10:36 AM
  3. Streaming Schoolcomms
    By ciaphas in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 29th June 2011, 10:13 AM
  4. Problem With Schoolcomms
    By jamesrobinson in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 13th April 2011, 05:12 PM
  5. SchoolComms
    By imiddleton25 in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 19th June 2010, 01:21 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •