+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, FMS Upgrade Migration in Technical; I'm upgrading and migrating our FMS installation to a new virtual server (Server B below). I have no previous experience ...

Thank Post

FMS Upgrade Migration

I'm upgrading and migrating our FMS installation to a new virtual server (Server B below). I have no previous experience with FMS but am doing all this on sandboxed copies of the machines.

Server A (source)
    P2V'd Server 2003
    FMS migrated to SQL2008
    FMS updated to 6.154
    Capita SQL2012 migration utility used to export .bak file (SQL2012 won't install on Server 2013)

Server B (destination)
    Fresh Server 2008 virtual machine
    FMS installed from the '2013 Summer Installable'
    FMS updated to 6.154
    Capita SQL2012 migration utility used to import the .bak file (db is 'FMS_1')

The FMS Attach utility shows databases FMS and FMS_1 on Server B, as does SQL 2012 Management Studio.

User can't logon as Sysman though (I have the 'SIMS FMS Module' installed on Server B).

I have a feeling that all I need to do is connect FMS to the correct db (FMS_1). Is there a configuration file somewhere that does this? Or any other suggestions?

Many thanks,
    Peter

Thank Post
    Have found 'FMSconnect.ini' in SIMS/FMSSQL. Edited the 'database=fms' line to be 'database=fms_1' but this change didn't survive a restart - where is it getting this from, and am I on the right track?

Also found information on resetting the sysman password. Does the sysman password go with the database or is it set with the fresh install of FMS?

Thank Post
    Ah, FMS was obviously connected to the default db as I could login using the default password...

I've now used the FMS Attach utility to detach the databases FMS and FMS_1, and attach the .bak file mentioned previously.

Success! The 'database=' line needed changing in the 'S:\SIMS\Setups\FMS' copy of 'FMSconnect.ini', this must be where the local copy of the 'SIMS FMS Module' looks for it's settings.

Now to continue with the upgrade disks, rigorous testing by Finance (Year end etc) then do the migration for real in the holidays.

Hope this thread helps anyone else attempting to do this upgrade / migration (SQL2005 > 2008 > 2012).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread