+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
MIS Systems Thread, Sims Learning Gateway - You are not licensed to view this information in Technical; Hi all, We host our own SLG which is generally fine. However, I've been completely flumuxed by this one today. ...
  1. #1
    machin05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    336
    Thank Post
    22
    Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    23

    Sims Learning Gateway - You are not licensed to view this information

    Hi all,

    We host our own SLG which is generally fine. However, I've been completely flumuxed by this one today. I have provisioned a new member of staff on SLG in the usual manner (through SIMS and then the batch file on the server), but this particular user doesn't have access to any of the web parts - none of them! Just a whole heap of grey boxes:

    slgerror.JPG

    Now, this member of staff isn't a full time employee (they work at an associate school) so is only registered in SIMS with very basic information. Is there something in their account on SIMS that needs to be filled in before access will be granted in SLG?

    Any pointers will be heeded and much appreciated.

    Cheers,
    Will

  2. #2
    machin05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    336
    Thank Post
    22
    Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    23
    Yuo may have to right-click and open the image in a new tab...

  3. #3
    machin05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    336
    Thank Post
    22
    Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    23
    Any SLG/Sharepoint gurus out there?

  4. #4
    zag
    zag is online now
    zag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,899
    Thank Post
    948
    Thanked 444 Times in 374 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    91
    Not too many people use SLG any more sorry

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    2,209
    Thank Post
    114
    Thanked 331 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    115
    It's been a long time since I worked for Capita on troubleshooting SLG, but this looks familiar for some reason. Do their permissions in SIMS differ from other users somehow?

    It's either that or AD permissions, as a hazarded guess.
    Last edited by jamesb; 15th July 2014 at 02:09 PM.

  6. #6
    machin05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    336
    Thank Post
    22
    Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Not too many people use SLG any more sorry
    What do you use instead, out of interest?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    It's been a long time since I worked for Capita on troubleshooting SLG, but this looks familiar for some reason. Do their permissions in SIMS differ from other users somehow?

    It's either that or AD permissions, as a hazarded guess.
    Checked AD permissions and that's all ok as the Active Directory Provisioning tool takes care of that. Not sure what to check in SIMS. As I said in this particular user is set up with the most basic of information in their record. Just a name, DOB and Staff code.

  7. #7
    zag
    zag is online now
    zag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,899
    Thank Post
    948
    Thanked 444 Times in 374 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by machin05 View Post
    What do you use instead, out of interest?
    We use TASC insight (we are former SLG customers but I don't know your issue sorry).

    Its far superior in almost every way.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Surrey
    Posts
    2,209
    Thank Post
    114
    Thanked 331 Times in 273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    4
    Rep Power
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by machin05 View Post
    Checked AD permissions and that's all ok as the Active Directory Provisioning tool takes care of that. Not sure what to check in SIMS. As I said in this particular user is set up with the most basic of information in their record. Just a name, DOB and Staff code.
    It should take care of that, but it used to have occasional problems with some accounts - just double-check the SLG service account in AD has permissions over the user's AD account. That used to be the most common problem people were having.

  9. #9
    machin05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    336
    Thank Post
    22
    Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    We use TASC insight (we are former SLG customers but I don't know your issue sorry).

    Its far superior in almost every way.
    Cheers buddy. I'll have a look into it. Quick question - how does it compare price-wise?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesb View Post
    It should take care of that, but it used to have occasional problems with some accounts - just double-check the SLG service account in AD has permissions over the user's AD account. That used to be the most common problem people were having.
    Yeah, we've come across that problem when a Domain Admin tries to consolidate their account. The problem I'm having is happening with the users initial account that is being set up by AD Provisioning. I will double check their settings in AD though, cheers.

  10. #10
    zag
    zag is online now
    zag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,899
    Thank Post
    948
    Thanked 444 Times in 374 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by machin05 View Post
    Cheers buddy. I'll have a look into it. Quick question - how does it compare price-wise?
    Very favourably...

    Its about £900 a year for us and we are a large secondary.

  11. #11

    Sylv3r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Co. Durham
    Posts
    3,235
    Thank Post
    375
    Thanked 381 Times in 339 Posts
    Rep Power
    148
    I think it's got something to do with the roles the SIMS user has been allocated.

    Have you tried comparing the assigned groups with another staff user? Is it a support member of staff - they have to be in relevant groups to be able to view things via the SLG.

  12. Thanks to Sylv3r from:

    machin05 (16th July 2014)

  13. #12
    machin05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    336
    Thank Post
    22
    Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Very favourably...

    Its about £900 a year for us and we are a large secondary.
    Cool. Do you need any additional licenses from Capita?

  14. #13
    machin05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    336
    Thank Post
    22
    Thanked 24 Times in 23 Posts
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    I think it's got something to do with the roles the SIMS user has been allocated.

    Have you tried comparing the assigned groups with another staff user? Is it a support member of staff - they have to be in relevant groups to be able to view things via the SLG.
    Cheers buddy, didn't realise it linked to the SIMS user account - I just thought it was associated with the personnel file as per the parent accounts.

  15. #14

    Edu-IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,250
    Thank Post
    404
    Thanked 630 Times in 575 Posts
    Rep Power
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by machin05 View Post
    Cool. Do you need any additional licenses from Capita?
    No you don't.

  16. #15
    zag
    zag is online now
    zag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,899
    Thank Post
    948
    Thanked 444 Times in 374 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by machin05 View Post
    Cool. Do you need any additional licenses from Capita?
    No its totally independent and just needs a Sims client installed on the web server.

    Install takes about 5mins. Its fantastic

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [SIMS] SIMS Learning gateway (attendance registers) and iPads
    By Oops_my_bad in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 6th January 2014, 08:30 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 22nd September 2011, 10:11 AM
  3. [SIMS] RECALL of SIMS Learning Gateway SLG Autumn 2010
    By vikpaw in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 2nd February 2011, 04:15 PM
  4. Replies: 37
    Last Post: 28th January 2011, 12:45 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24th November 2008, 11:02 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •