+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
MIS Systems Thread, SIMS Registers and Fire Drills in Technical; I think I'm going to slap you with a mobile device at BETT at this rate! Sensitive data on Dropbox, ...

Thank Post
    I think I'm going to slap you with a mobile device at BETT at this rate! Sensitive data on Dropbox, why not just put it on pastebin and be done with it lol.

Dropbox aside, what happens if the schedule doesn't work? If the tablet battery is flat. If a million and one things.

Not quite sure how class lists are out-of-date? If your policy is to print a new one each time a new student starts, that's what 4 pages each time? Not really a waste of paper in the grand scheme of things. Remember, it would be insulting to your attendance officer if you assume because they were absent in the AM that they didn't arrive later.

Roll call should be who's physically infront of you, if you've ever been apart of it, you'll be aware of these late arrivals that the "up2date" list would have missed off.

It's also important to remember missing doesn't mean still in building, it could mean they are just bunking off at the local McD - which is why the fire crew will ignore any lists you give them of missing pupils (to a certain extent - its always nice to have a target no rather then between 0 - 1,000).

Thank Post
    Going back to the OP, although @cdunn93 has almost certainly already left the (burning) building, I'd recommend sticking with paper registers and buying an OMR to reduce the workload for admin staff!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Some shared folder of some description. Not Dropbox but that type of facility. used for description only!

Yes there are lots of if and buts.

The list should be for the day so one knows who is in and who is not. It rather pointless having the class roster, as what you most need to know is who is in and who is not. You need the daily absentee list for sure.

so then you are into the scenario of printing each day = huge waste. Consider schools where absenteeism is a huge issue.

We have established that while the fire brigade will ignore the list, it is still useful to them to identify numbers and possible locations of missing students. This is taken from Spartek research. If there is a fire and they sweep and find no one, come out and the HT says you are still missing a child, yes they might be in town, they might also still be trapped somewhere... need I go on?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieM View Post
    Going back to the OP, although @cdunn93 has almost certainly already left the (burning) building, I'd recommend sticking with paper registers and buying an OMR to reduce the workload for admin staff!
    Yes perhaps we should agree to disagree on the shortcomings of a fire evacuation and get back to the OP! :-D

Interesting debate though (and stayed friendly for once!).

5. Thanks to GREED from:

matt40k (16th July 2014)

Thank Post
    I saw Matt commenting on this on twitter and thought I would check it out. Very interesting thread with lots of arguments and counter arguments, But unless I have missed it, everyone is assuming that the fire would be very accommodating and only take hold after a registration had been taken.

What happens if the fire takes hold at 8.45, with pupil milling about in the fields, the playgrounds and sometimes in the school corridors on the way to registration? At this point they have not signed in or been registered. <PANIC>

Whatever procedure schools have in place for this scenario, is the one they should employ all of the time . . . .

Of course, this is a trick scenario and in the 7 years I have been rolling out SIMS in the classroom, when I pose this question, which I do every time, not one school has had an answer ready for me.

With that in mind, if schools want a system, I generally advise >

1. Pre-printed class lists to be taken to the roll call
    2. Signing in/out books to be taken to the roll call
    3. Absence lists to be printed after registration and used to highlight missing pupils
    4. Fire Marshal area sweeps on exit

This is for the schools peace of mind only and as Phil Neal rightly says, the Fire Services will always assume there may be someone to save and will politely ignore your lists.

Thank Post
    Some of our schools that do electronic registration make use of laminated class lists with AM and PM or Period columns and teachers put a mark against those pupils that aren't in class. This is then taken out of school in the event of an evacuation/drill. Wiped clean at the end of the day ready to be reused.

However i agree with the comments above, this list would only be accurate for a very limited/specific point in time, unless constantly updated to take account of pupils movement during the rest of that period.

I suppose as a head count these lists give peace of mind to school staff but also agree the fire service would do a full sweep for anyone, not just children.

Thank Post
    I know this is a couple of months old, but local fire station had an open day last week, so I asked the question about registers. They said the school absolutely should have a fire register (and said there was legislation for this, but I can't remember the details).

If everyone was accounted for, a full sweep would still take place, but would depend on state of fire / risks etc. If someone was un-accounted for then a search would be a priority.

It was pretty clear cut as far as they were concerned.

9. 2 Thanks to BITS_BryanS:

GREED (8th September 2014), sparkeh (8th September 2014)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Excellent

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345