+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 70
MIS Systems Thread, Government Cloud MIS list in Technical; Not sure if people have seen this announcement on twitter, but... Schools Hosted Service for SIMS | CloudStore | Gov.UK ...
  1. #1
    TheScarfedOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plymouth, Devon
    Posts
    1,346
    Thank Post
    676
    Thanked 169 Times in 154 Posts
    Blog Entries
    78
    Rep Power
    85

    Government Cloud MIS list

    Not sure if people have seen this announcement on twitter, but...

    Schools Hosted Service for SIMS | CloudStore | Gov.UK

    Discuss...

    Note, this is provision of Sims7 as hosted solution.

  2. Thanks to TheScarfedOne from:

    GREED (10th July 2014)

  3. #2
    Marshall_IT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    514
    Thank Post
    77
    Thanked 64 Times in 55 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    19
    Looking at this it seems to be aimed at primaries.,I think thus could be very helpful to them.
    Would it involve local sims clients connecting to the hosted server or something like a Remote App version of sims too.

    The hosting section says £99 per user per year but what is the additional per Gb per year?
    Also how much I just the licensing? Would we still be paying the same costs plus this extra for hosting?

    It certainly raises a lot of questions and will be an interesting topic to follow.

  4. #3

    matt40k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    4,433
    Thank Post
    368
    Thanked 646 Times in 528 Posts
    Rep Power
    159
    To even it out a bit, they're playing catch up... 4 other MIS players have been on it for a while... and it's the whole package not just hosting...

    Arbor:
    Arbor Education Adaptive Management Platform | CloudStore | Gov.UK

    RM Integris G2:
    Integris G2 | CloudStore | Gov.UK

    Progresso:
    Progresso

    Bromcom:
    Bromcom Cloud MIS for Primary Schools | CloudStore | Gov.UK
    Last edited by matt40k; 10th July 2014 at 07:09 PM.

  5. 5 Thanks to matt40k:

    Bromcom-PR (11th July 2014), GREED (10th July 2014), mikecampbell (15th July 2014), TheScarfedOne (10th July 2014), zag (14th July 2014)

  6. #4
    TheScarfedOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plymouth, Devon
    Posts
    1,346
    Thank Post
    676
    Thanked 169 Times in 154 Posts
    Blog Entries
    78
    Rep Power
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall_IT View Post
    Looking at this it seems to be aimed at primaries.,I think thus could be very helpful to them.
    Would it involve local sims clients connecting to the hosted server or something like a Remote App version of sims too.

    The hosting section says £99 per user per year but what is the additional per Gb per year?
    Also how much I just the licensing? Would we still be paying the same costs plus this extra for hosting?

    It certainly raises a lot of questions and will be an interesting topic to follow.
    My understanding is that it will be a RemoteApp/Terminal Server style service. For Primary's - absolutely agree. It great to see the competition in this field hotting up again. The licence costs will be as they are now I would expect, I cant see those changing...

  7. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Bromley
    Posts
    60
    Thank Post
    15
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by TheScarfedOne View Post
    My understanding is that it will be a RemoteApp/Terminal Server style service. For Primary's - absolutely agree. It great to see the competition in this field hotting up again. The licence costs will be as they are now I would expect, I cant see those changing...

    RemoteApp/Terminal Server style service and Government Cloud:

    It is very important to note that Government Cloud policy does not allow products that do not conform to NIST definition of the cloud (ie 'true cloud'). Legacy thick Windows/client-server applications hosted centrally fall under 'fake cloud' category.


    Please see bottom of page-3: https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...strategy_0.pdf


    For a simple language explanation - please see Euro Cloud Vice President Phil Wainewright's video clip on True v Fake Cloud: http://youtu.be/qXfBlKTA8LI

  8. #6

    GREED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    3,065
    Thank Post
    377
    Thanked 379 Times in 308 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromcom-PR View Post

    RemoteApp/Terminal Server style service and Government Cloud:

    It is very important to note that Government Cloud policy does not allow products that do not conform to NIST definition of the cloud (ie 'true cloud'). Legacy thick Windows/client-server applications hosted centrally fall under 'fake cloud' category.
    Ummmm... so how do you explain SIMS being on CloudStore?

  9. #7
    pooley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    S Wales
    Posts
    1,141
    Thank Post
    80
    Thanked 120 Times in 101 Posts
    Rep Power
    67
    So would this still need us to have a server on site or could the whole lot be hosted by Capita ?

  10. #8

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Bromley
    Posts
    60
    Thank Post
    15
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Ummmm... so how do you explain SIMS being on CloudStore?
    The software SIMS is 'not' on CloudStore.

    What is being offered on CloudStore is 'hosting' only!

    Admittedly it is easy to misread.
    Last edited by Bromcom-PR; 14th July 2014 at 03:51 PM.

  11. #9

    dhicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    5,653
    Thank Post
    1,257
    Thanked 781 Times in 678 Posts
    Rep Power
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by TheScarfedOne View Post
    Discuss...
    Does anyone know how they handle getting output from CommandReporter.exe? Do they maybe provide a web service?

  12. #10
    zag
    zag is offline
    zag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,828
    Thank Post
    914
    Thanked 422 Times in 355 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    88
    I don't understand how they can call it "cloud" if its just a terminal server solution?

    Surely a cloud platform is web based?

  13. #11

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Bromley
    Posts
    60
    Thank Post
    15
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    I don't understand how they can call it "cloud" if its just a terminal server solution?

    Surely a cloud platform is web based?

    Precisely! That's why 'terminal server/client-server based hosted solution' is called FAKE CLOUD - as per Phil Wainwright's video -http://youtu.be/qXfBlKTA8LI

  14. #12

    GREED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portsmouth
    Posts
    3,065
    Thank Post
    377
    Thanked 379 Times in 308 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    I don't understand how they can call it "cloud" if its just a terminal server solution?

    Surely a cloud platform is web based?
    Well now, nothing like a comment like that to reopen the big debate!!

    @Bromcom-PR No, I'm sorry, but they are offering facility for SIMS (albeit you have to have an additional SIMS licence too) as part of the package... You cannot just buy hosting and not use SIMS as part of that offer. I think the wording misinterpretation is in the fact you have to still pay for SIMS too, that is a little bit devious. You would not buy this unless you intend to use SIMS in the (fake) cloud.

    Perhaps this is offering facility to enable SIMS to be used in the (fake) cloud... perhaps this is the fine line GovStore have not crossed. Either way, it is there and I fail to see how drawing attention that it is not a cloud product (yet for all intent and purpose is being offered as one) makes any difference?

  15. #13

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Bromley
    Posts
    60
    Thank Post
    15
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Rep Power
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Well now, nothing like a comment like that to reopen the big debate!!

    @Bromcom-PR No, I'm sorry, but they are offering facility for SIMS (albeit you have to have an additional SIMS licence too) as part of the package... You cannot just buy hosting and not use SIMS as part of that offer. I think the wording misinterpretation is in the fact you have to still pay for SIMS too, that is a little bit devious. You would not buy this unless you intend to use SIMS in the (fake) cloud.

    Perhaps this is offering facility to enable SIMS to be used in the (fake) cloud... perhaps this is the fine line GovStore have not crossed. Either way, it is there and I fail to see how drawing attention that it is not a cloud product (yet for all intent and purpose is being offered as one) makes any difference?
    @GREED, we are not disagreeing. In fact 'SIMS Hosting' service should not be under SaaS and it should be under PaaS.

    It is not likely that CloudStore Team will scrutinises if PaaS on offer is promoted/intended to be used for application software that may result in TRUE or FAKE Cloud.

  16. #14
    GeekyPete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    In a cold dark server room.
    Posts
    339
    Thank Post
    23
    Thanked 78 Times in 59 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    So if I am reading this correctly:

    Capita will effectively host your sims and give you terminal server access to it. This saves them from re-writing SIMS they can just use the software they already have.

    So, you won't need your server. What will this cost? A minimum of £990 per year (10 user minimum) plus £429 set up. All this is on top of what you are already paying capita for licencing and support.

    If you have 70 staff that use if for registers your looking at around an extra £7000/year.

    Integris and Arbour will cost a lot less than just hosting SIMS, let alone licencing it.

  17. #15

    matt40k's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ipswich
    Posts
    4,433
    Thank Post
    368
    Thanked 646 Times in 528 Posts
    Rep Power
    159
    Quote Originally Posted by pooley View Post
    So would this still need us to have a server on site or could the whole lot be hosted by Capita ?
    No server required.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. COMPARING CLOUD MIS SYSTEMS
    By hindertonhead in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 30th April 2014, 02:42 PM
  2. Cloud MIS Security
    By vikpaw in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 29th November 2013, 08:46 AM
  3. Cloud MIS systems
    By MissyD in forum Cloud Services
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 4th February 2013, 04:04 PM
  4. MIS in the 'cloud'
    By garrysaddington in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 4th December 2009, 10:12 PM
  5. The UK Government and MIS Systems
    By jamescox84 in forum MIS Systems
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 13th July 2009, 08:51 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •