+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
MIS Systems Thread, Government Cloud MIS list in Technical; Originally Posted by CESIL I work in a junior school in Hampshire and most of us have been using SIMS.net ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CESIL View Post
    I work in a junior school in Hampshire and most of us have been using SIMS.net hosted by our LEA using a citrix client. We have probably been running like this for about 5 year maybe more.
    Soooo so close to being offered Aspen ah those were the days!

Since the switch I haven't had to worry about backups or applying updates at all...bliss! ��

Like a lot of primary schools we only have a few users and the teachers never touch it.
    There is a lot to be said for the sheer simplicity for end users such as yourself and the reduction in costs and effort at your end, even if there is a cumulative increase at the LA level... Just because x solution is more efficient at one end, if this does not impact on the users on the ground, or worse impacts in a negative way (more maintenance, or maintenance at all, just as an example, etc), obviously a concern and consideration when procurement comes around. Well, I know for a fact it was in Hampshire's case.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CESIL View Post
    I work in a junior school in Hampshire and most of us have been using SIMS.net hosted by our LEA using a citrix client. We have probably been running like this for about 5 year maybe more.

Since the switch I haven't had to worry about backups or applying updates at all...bliss! 😁

Like a lot of primary schools we only have a few users and the teachers never touch it.
    Many DOS applications were still in use under 'DOS emulator window' for many many years after Microsoft brought out Windows as new operating system. Such users get in a time warp and more they keep in legacy systems more difficult it gets to come out of it. Changing to 'true cloud' is like using true Windows applications and make use of features such as mouse, graphics, colour, multi-tasking etc.. Just as a Windows application user wouldn't accept monochrome, character based user interface screen or multi-tasking, a 'true cloud user' would want to give up elasticity of resources, up to 50-fold efficient use of memory, processing, power consumption etc...

However as a school user you may be isolated from some of tense 'true cloud' benefits but tax payers pay for this through their nose and LA support staff neither benefits from 'true cloud' features such as multi-tenancy, dynamic allocation of resources on demand so that performance degradation is avoided.

The fact that you say "the teachers never touch it " explains how MIS in your LA still is used as a back-office system rather than school-wide one total solution accessible from any device from anywhere eg by teachers remotely from home as well as parents (for parent portal).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    But... It is suiting their needs. It would be wrong to force a change, for what you have listed is a many many behind the scenes benefits that too the end user would not see. The teachers will only be concerned with the features available. Right or wrong it is the reality. If SIMS is providing everything they need, do they have to change?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    But... It is suiting their needs. It would be wrong to force a change, for what you have listed is a many many behind the scenes benefits that too the end user would not see. The teachers will only be concerned with the features available. Right or wrong it is the reality. If SIMS is providing everything they need, do they have to change?
    We appear to be going round in a circle here - but here for the last round.

1. Force to change:
    No, you should never go there!!!!! There should be "a want" to change, not force.

2. What you have listed is a many many behind the scenes benefits that too the end user would not see:
    Please see in above thread a quote from Carterton school in Oxfordshire or video clip Carterton Community College - YouTube

3. The teachers will only be concerned with the features available:
    Apparently teachers in this school /LA are not users of MIS!!!

4. XXXX is providing everything they need, do they have to change? :
    It is lack of education and awareness of what more one get from similar system eg efficiency, just one example you can open multiple windows when you are printing a long report (as per Carterton School' surprise!). If users are unaware of what more they can get from the alternatives then they will ask the question "why change?"

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well we are going round in circles, because a school teacher or even admin will not care one jot that Bromcom MIS is 50 times more memory efficient. They will care if they can do the tasks they need to do. For them it comes down to what solution has all the features they need or could ever want. Perhaps there should be a conversation about specifically that ad this has completely bypassed a feature comparison, yet has focused in details on a server efficiency comparison.

I would push people to a certain MIS Survey for a good start on that!

I full agree with you that an awareness of what is available is vital, and decide then if their SIMS system still meets all their needs, or does Bromcom, Progresso, Arbor, G2, Scholarpack, ISAMS, Schoolbase, 3SYS, PASSAPP, Engage, SchoolPod or another better provide those facilities and more? I'm bewildered that any conversation like this does not have any mention of the features available ad being a high priority. I think I have said before (or possibly offline), you could have the most efficient system ever made, but if all it does is store a student forename and nothing more then it is not a viable choice (silly and extreme I know by gets the point)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Perhaps too you are thinking that it is the decision makers that will be more concerned with this, and you are probably right, especially the decision makers I know you and most supplier target. Perhaps more decision making groups should include a broader range of individuals including a school admin who uses the system every day. My experience, and I am sure you have your own and greater experience, says most procurement teams are unbalanced in this regard.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Well we are going round in circles, because a school teacher or even admin will not care one jot that Bromcom MIS is 50 times more memory efficient.
    I agree the technical element is pretty small in the grand discussion, but to be fair, talking about technical beniefts of apples and pears on a technical forum makes sense.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt40k View Post
    I agree the technical element is pretty small in the grand discussion, but to be fair, talking about technical beniefts of apples and pears on a technical forum makes sense.
    Oh no, no no no, discussing the benefits is hugely important, I am not saying the benefits are incidental at all, I am saying that as a sales pitch to end users it is a small part. Which as a supplier of a product is where the money lies!

Thank Post
    I'm not saying discussing them isn't important, I'm just saying the venue is wrong to have a wider discussion. It's why we're keep going round in circles. We need new blood - the blood of our enem.. I mean our customers - those teachers and the lovely office staff.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I believe the customers (those of us working in schools and using these systems/supporting these systems) are more concerned about what an MIS can do for us and how easy it is to use and maintain.

Consequently, I am not overly bothered about its efficiencies and technical achievements although I recognise they may impact on the pricing model.

11. Thanks to winng from:

GREED (12th August 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345