+ Post New Thread
MIS Systems Thread, Installing SQL 2012 for door access:paths for shared feature directory best practic ? in Technical; Hi I am planning to install SQL 2012 Standard64bit on Windows 2012 for our newdoor access control server. I have ...

Thank Post

Installing SQL 2012 for door access:paths for shared feature directory best practic ?

Hi

I am planning to install SQL 2012 Standard64bit on Windows 2012 for our newdoor access control server.
    I have installed a VM with C partition 50 GB and D partition with 500 GB onour new Windows 2012 server. This server will be a dedicated only for accesscontrol and it will not work hard as SIMS server.
    The prerequisites by the vendor says:
    SQL to be installed in Mixed Mode
    SQL Server Management Studio installed
    500GB Hard Disk space

During the installation -Feature selection-
    By default the path for :
    Shared feature directory is C:\Program files\Microsoft SQL Server
    Shared feature directory (x86) is C:\Program files\Microsoft SQL Server

Please suggest, if I need to leave the path for shared feature directory as adefault location C drive:
    or do I need to give a path on D drive:

Also during the Database Engine configuration is it ok to specify the path as D: for the User database directory or do I need to create additional drives ?
    Please suggest
    Thanks

Last edited by genesis; 2nd July 2014 at 09:41 PM.

Thank Post
    Your C: partition is a bit small at 50GB. We default to 80GB thin-provisioned so we've got wiggle room for patches and the like over the lifetime of the server.

So I'd say put all your SQL-related stuff on D: (given the I/O will be pretty low)

However, either you have a lot of doors or your access control vendor is pulling numbers out of their posterior with regard to disk space.

I'd probably set C: to 80GB and D: to 100GB (thick-provisioned) and push back on the "500GB disk space", which (to be fair to the vendor) exists because of daft customers.

If you can thin-provison your disks, 80 and 500 would be fine, since it'll only grow if it really needs to.

You might want to think about how you'd handle that VM going pear-shaped - if the locks can't talk to the server do they default to analogue (keys), or are the entry codes stored at the lock and the server is just responsible for updating and removing?
    Last edited by pete; 3rd July 2014 at 03:01 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,157 Posts
    I'm with Pete, though we're finding that even 80GB is pushing it for a server these days, with all the updates, and stuff. Especially if the db is left in the default location as third parties like to come in and plonk backups into the default backup location on C too.
    I'd probably say go for 120 / 160 on C, as it's harder to change. The data partition can be extended, or just replaced with a larger one and files copied over. I've done this a few times. Putting as much on D as possible is useful, and make sure backups are configured to go there too.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread